K&N Oil Filter For 2014 Harley Road King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ZeeOSix,

I called them back to clarify, and was advised their filtering media met or exceed that of the OEM, but they would not disclose what type of media they are using.

As an additional note, I received my order today, HF171CRC for my Harley, and I was disappointed to see a black nitrile ADBV in the filter. I asked them about this, and was today advised that it met or exceeded the OEM's spec. Not certain how this would meet or exceed Harley's spec, which has the silcone ADBV.
confused.gif

I am thinking of sending the filter back to Amazon.

Thanks for the update RevRider. So the guy at HiFlo said the ADBV was nitrile? Or is it possibly black silicone?

If you don't run the filters for long durations then the. nitrile might be Ok.

When I asked them about the type of filter media (synthetic or cellulose) and the type of ADBV, they would not be specific, they only said they met or exceeded the OEM product. They did not say it was silicone.

From what I can research, it appears Silicone is the red/orange color. Nitrile being black.

This drives me nuts.

If silicone is better, how can they claim their filter meets or exceeds OEM specs if they use a nitrile ADBV?

Originally Posted By: RevRider
From what I can research, it appears Silicone is the red/orange color. Nitrile being black.

There have been a few cases where filters had a white or a black silicone ADBV. But yes, they are typically orange or red.

Weird that they wouldn't even say what their ADBV material was. Silicone and nitrile isn't some proprietary top secret material.

I'm trying to decide whether to return it, or keep it as a spare in an emergency.

It appears the K&N has a silicone ADBV and it has systhetic media, maybe a better filter?

Here's my update:

I ordered the HiFloFiltro HF171CRC for my bike, 2014 HD Road King.

As I stated in an earlier post, I went to K&N's Headquarters, met with one of the tech reps who was very polite/courteous, but would not address the questions I asked about their filter's filtering ability, flow rates, etc. I was disappointed as I thought they would be more forthcoming with this information in order to sell their product. He stated their filter met or exceeded the OEM's product. I want to state I am not bashing K&N, they are no doubt a fine company, with good products, but as a consumer I needed more information before making a buying decision.

This morning I called HiFloFiltro's office in the U.S., they are in Georgia. I was transferred to their technical department where I was able to talk to their representative for about 20 minutes on their product as it compares to the Harley's filter, Premium 5 micron. If I heard correctly, HD's testing is a 1 pass only test, with a capture rate of particles 20+ microns at 96%. It also captures some of the 5 micron particles. I was writing notes as he was talking. Again, if I heard correctly, the cylinder wall clearance is 35 microns.

He was very open with their product specs, i.e., 99.3% capture rate on particles 20 microns and larger, 75% capture rate on particles 10 microns to 20; with the capability of capturing some 5 micron particulates. He also relayed the max torque pressure the nut on their filter is tested to, and made the statement that in order to achieve their TUV Certification it is a requirement that they meet/exceed the OEM's specifications.

Further, he took the time to review the proper application of their filter, not overtighening, etc.

I want to say I am not an oil, or an oil filter expert (truth is I'm not an expert really in anything
grin.gif
), don't pretend to be, and I am not wanting to start a oil filter war, just trying to contribute to our community with information that others might find beneficial.

I like when a company is transparent with the product specs, I think it's the right thing to do, plus, it makes good business sense.

I told the technical advisor that in appreciation for his time & information I would let others know about this information.

Hope this helps.
grin.gif

Frank

That's awesome that HiFlo went into detail about the specs of their filter and media. To clarify, these are the stats that I received from K&N regarding their power sports filtering efficiency: 96.8% at 20 microns, and 76.4% at 6 microns. I wouldn't worry what so ever about the nitrile ADBV of the HiFlo. Unless you are running extended drain intervals (duration and mileage) there won't be any issues to speak of.

Total cost with expedited shipping was $20. I was thinking the same thing, can't hurt to have a spare part just in case.
smile.gif

Hi Analyzer,

That's good information that you shared on the K&N, this is the value of the board, sharing of information - it's great.

I'm trying to decide whether to return it, or keep it as a spare in an emergency.

It appears the K&N has a silicone ADBV and it has systhetic media, maybe a better filter?

Personally, I'd use the HiFlo over the K&N. Even though that particular K&N might not be on the recall list, I'd still be leery of the nut welds leaking oil, which is the last thing you want happening on a motorcycle.

Sounds like the HiFlo is a little more efficient too.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Personally, I'd use the HiFlo over the K&N. Even though that particular K&N might not be on the recall list, I'd still be leery of the nut welds leaking oil, which is the last thing you want happening on a motorcycle.

Sounds like the HiFlo is a little more efficient too.

I've read lots of reports of leaking K&N filters over the past 10 years.

I've been using the HD oil filter, was thinking of switching to the K&N for the ease of installation.

Is the K&N filter equal to the OEM product in flow, filtering ability, etc?

Harley's advertises it as a 5 micron, but I think they say "nominal" which is about 50% efficiency.

Any experts out there?

RevRider

What ease of installation? Are you referring to the nut on the top? Because the box tells you not to use the nut to install it and if you do it will crack where the spot welds are and leak. The nut is advertised as "Wrench Off" or "Easy Wrench-Off Removal" only. Their instruction for installation is hand tighten only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back