Just thinking how employment has changed....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

I fail to understand why entry level jobs that pay below $20/hr require 5-6 years experience in the same job previously, or need a degree in that specific field. That is not entry level.

Quote of the year and my exact sentiment. I don't mind working from the bottom up, but don't say its entry level and put down you need X number of years experience. That doesn't make sense.

Originally Posted By: Dave9
Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
I moved to Kentucky earlier this year...
At 18, I started in the trade at literally the bottom of the rung making peanuts. I'm a believer that you aren't handed opportunities, you work hard, learn if that's what it takes, and earn them.

That's not necessarily proof of much except that if you are willing to live in a less desirable area, "most" skilled workers will have less competition. Plenty of people work hard and don't get as lucky. Funny how some people ignore the luck factor and want to claim they earned things when they didn't work any harder than anyone else.

92saturnsl2, I am NOT referring to you, but what you wrote reminds me of one of the laziest friends I have that said something similar once and then I realized his concept of hard work was that whatever he was doing was hard work because he was doing it. He doesn't even like to go camping because that's "too much work", lol.

Horse poo, you make your own luck in life. Sometimes when opportunity knocks you have to be smart enough to answer the door. Those unlucky chaps you speak of don't have there head in the game.

As long as you are adaptable and spend some time learning and relearning and anticipating the next logical change you'll be fine. If you decide to stop learning and simply do a good job at what you do and expect that is enough good luck. Also thinking you are not replaceable is another sign you are in your job too long, too comfortably and will be circling the drain.

My grandfather told me always think of the next thing at age 11 and it sunk in.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

I fail to understand why entry level jobs that pay below $20/hr require 5-6 years experience in the same job previously, or need a degree in that specific field. That is not entry level.

I think they do that in an attempt to get potential applicants with 'some' experience that will be up and running quicker. I know from experience that this doesn't work much of the time.

Six years of experience, or one year of experience six times? And they didn't learn squat in the first year because they didn't care about anything but smoking weed and boozing it up every night. I loved to see the sheriff's department show up on plant site to arrest them. We had more than our share of this type individual.

The OP's friend needs to learn 'digital prints' to get the job he wants.

I can understand why he is upset the company doesn't recognize him verses an outside job applicant .

Originally Posted By: madRiver
As long as you are adaptable and spend some time learning and relearning and anticipating the next logical change you'll be fine. If you decide to stop learning and simply do a good job at what you do and expect that is enough good luck. Also thinking you are not replaceable is another sign you are in your job too long, too comfortably and will be circling the drain.

My grandfather told me always think of the next thing at age 11 and it sunk in.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
The OP's friend needs to learn 'digital prints' to get the job he wants.

I can understand why he is upset the company doesn't recognize him verses an outside job applicant .

This is true but they should give him a chance. I was looking to leave one crummy business in a high-tech industry because said business was barely hanging on and not buying the latest technology. I considered by ability to make do and allow my business to compete using outdated tech a bonus that would help any employer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back