Just Popped Positive For Tacoma Rust 'Buy-Back'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: mongo161
AFAIK....the Tacoma is the only truck covered by the "Rust Out" buy back program.

My T4R was made in Japan, like other vehicles of that period, has a full box frame and has not had the frame rusting out issues like the Tacoma.

The Tacoma Trucks that are covered under the "Rust Out" buy back program were unfortunately identified as those manufactured in the USA. It appears that the metal and construction used for the frame was not up to standards and had a "C" channel which held water and moisture, along with road salt and other contaminant's.

Yes, it was an issue with the materials spec'd (by Toyota). The same company makes the frames for Ford (F-150).

That explains why my 1989 F-150 frame rotted totally, lost the rear tank & spare tire. My 2002 F-150 frame started to rust heavily but I've been staying on top of it and keeping the rust at bay. It's helped, at 10 years old the 2002 has a LOT less rust on the frame than the 1989 had for it's first 10 years without doing anything to the frame. Of course parking on a stone driveway with a stream running under it doesn't help
cry.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: mongo161
AFAIK....the Tacoma is the only truck covered by the "Rust Out" buy back program.

My T4R was made in Japan, like other vehicles of that period, has a full box frame and has not had the frame rusting out issues like the Tacoma.

The Tacoma Trucks that are covered under the "Rust Out" buy back program were unfortunately identified as those manufactured in the USA. It appears that the metal and construction used for the frame was not up to standards and had a "C" channel which held water and moisture, along with road salt and other contaminant's.

Yes, it was an issue with the materials spec'd (by Toyota). The same company makes the frames for Ford (F-150).

That explains why my 1989 F-150 frame rotted totally, lost the rear tank & spare tire. My 2002 F-150 frame started to rust heavily but I've been staying on top of it and keeping the rust at bay. It's helped, at 10 years old the 2002 has a LOT less rust on the frame than the 1989 had for it's first 10 years without doing anything to the frame. Of course parking on a stone driveway with a stream running under it doesn't help
cry.gif

Whimsey

I'm not sure if they (Dana) made them that far back? The frame on my Expedition is mint (but it gets Krown'd) and would be made at the same facility as the Toyota frames.

FWIW, I don't recall this being an issue on 80's and early 90's F-150's up here in the GWN either, in fact I've never heard of it. Not that its relevant, but I think that perhaps your "stream issue" might be just that, LOL
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: sayjac
I own a 01 Tacoma Prerunner 3.4L, got the notice, but this is primarily a northern states, salt/sand issue that affects the frame. I have no issues and fully expect the frame to last as long as the rest of the vehicle. I'm still covered, but in the south, it's basically a non issue.

To the OP, if you're choosing between a Camry or Altima, my advice, go with the Camry. But, I'm biased because I owned an 03 2.5L Altima, aka, a ticking time bomb. Bomb went off in January, perecat puked, engine corrupted which would have been closely followed by seizure (traded). Nissan knew, did nothing for owners like me and thousands and thousands of other owners. No more Nissans for me.

Unlike Nissan, at least it seems imo, that Toyota has stepped up with something here.

I think the precat issue was only 02/03 QR25 engines.
I have always sorta stayed away from the 2.5L because of this too, but those issues do not exist anymore and they are as reliable as any other, at least engine wise. The new Alts are great inside as well. Anyway the Camry is not bad either, there are 2 of them as company cars where I work. They ride well too.
Actually, if one reads my No More Nissan's thread, it was also pointed out with links to pics showing the 3.5L engine can have a similar precat problem, though perhaps not as prevalent. Doesn't matter though, becuase if it's your 3.5L engine that it hits, the engine is gone. And, that doesn't include all the Altima rusted subframe, faulty fuel filler tube, faulty sensors and piston ring issues in the Altimas.

Just think it's important and appropriate to let the OP know what kind of company Nissan is, that would leave thousands of Nissan owners, even with low miles (~85k) superbly maintained engines/vehicles like mine, literally and figuratively, by the side of the road. That would be with zero recourse to fix an issue Nissan knew full well would destroy ALL those 2.5L engines.

When it happens to a Nissan owner as it happened to me, it's difficult to be cavalier and say, Nissan now makes quality products. I'll pass, thus the no more Nissans for me. And, between the two the OP presented, I'll still advise the Camry purchase.

I think the years covered topped out at 2000. It went back to 1995 or so. I've been cleaning out the truck some & am just waiting for the final word to bring it in.

I was about to do an oil change, but I'll skip that now.

At the moment I'll also hold off on a new car. The Camry is at the top of the list though. I do have a few potential deals floating around right now too. At least one of them are of the 'family discount' type.

My 02 was inspected (passed) and undercoated. Good, cuz I wasn't ready for a buy back.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
Offer came in at $10,995. I accepted it.

Nice. It seems rare that a company owns up to their mistakes, and makes things right.

Originally Posted By: Rix
You guys in the rust belt should come over to western washington to car shop and drive them back.

No rust issues here. Unless it's a car FROM a rust area.

That's what I did. With a '00 Tacoma that happens to fit in the VIN range of "affected vehicles". No rust issues at all but I am just curious how it will pan out over time now that I live in the rust belt...

What is the official policy? Does it only apply to original owners or is it for current owners who have had it registered for more than a certain period of time?

Clark

You'll have to look up the particulars, on the 'buy back'. There are restrictions as to ownership & I thought it only went for 14 yrs max from date of purchase.

If your Tacoma is in the window, the 1st step is an eval from a dealership. They do have a free undercoating as part of it too, so that could be a benny even if you don't fail the frame test.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
What years Tacomas did this affect again?

I got a letter for my 2002. The frame is in great shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back