Shop owner in hospital after taking my deposit for parts?

I'm trying to get some work done to a vehicle of mine and I drove by to check and see if the part I put a deposit down came in and I find out he's in the hospital. Now with that being said, I get that things happen, but honestly it doesn't sound like they're going to be fixing my vehicle anytime soon. Aren't you supposed to pretty much not do anything for like a month after having surgery? Can they return the parts they ordered assuming they got ordered to their vendor if I go to a different shop? This isn't me trying to back out of the deal, but giving the situation. His wife came out and told me to come back on Monday, today is Wednesday. I didn't really know what to say at the time, but I mean it's a one man operation and I can't wait a month to get my vehicle fixed now. Opinions?

Talk to another shop and explain the situation. Tell them your parts have been ordered and if they'd be willing to install them. If they are, go back to the original shop and offer to buy the parts at cost and take your car.

First, I would have a talk with his wife again. If he is going to be out of commission for longer than you are willing to wait, offer to pay for, take the part, and wish him well for a full recovery. Then you can take it somewhere else to get it fixed with part in hand.

what the others said, or maybe the guy himself has someone who will take on his work
He always has a helper, but I think it's always him and the helper that does the work. Waiting until Monday seems a bit ridiculous. Obviously, I didn't tell her I put down a deposit though.

That is very important information I would make her aware of.

I don't think she would have been able to do anything honestly though as far as giving me my part. I have a feeling they live above the shop and she just stepped outside when she saw me pull up.

Well I called a different shop and got my other truck scheduled to be looked at atleast. Hopefully I can atleast get one of them in the shop. This is irritating because I can't fix either of them due to this now.

I don't think she would have been able to do anything honestly though as far as giving me my part. I have a feeling they live above the shop and she just stepped outside when she saw me pull up.
Probably not right then and there, but it would be good to know the details of your situation. It's different if your vehicle was just dropped off and hadn't been looked at yet compared to a diagnosis done and parts ordered which you paid for.

What are we talking about here? What part and cost? Was the deposit the full value of the part? If so, it seems fairly simple to explain that time is of the essence to get your vehicle repaired so that you'd like to have the part, paying the rest on it if necessary.
Even if the mechanic isn't able to do the work, if he's conscious he should be able to tell her if you owe anything on the part and if it was delivered, *someone* had to take delivery of it, surely it's not just going to sit outside a closed up garage and get stolen, or the helper should be familiar enough to know where it went and if it came in.

What are we talking about here? What part and cost? Was the deposit the full value of the part? If so, it seems fairly simple to explain that time is of the essence to get your vehicle repaired so that you'd like to have the part, paying the rest on it if necessary.

Even if the mechanic isn't able to do the work, if he's conscious he should be able to tell her if you owe anything on the part and if it was delivered, *someone* had to take delivery of it, surely it's not just going to sit outside a closed up garage and get stolen, or the helper should be familiar enough to know where it went and if it came in.

I just talked to the mechanic on the phone. I guess they're trying to decide in the next couple days if they need to take his gallbladder out. He says the parts are at the shop, so I can either come get the parts when he gets out of the hospital or wait. I'd really prefer him to do the work, so I guess I'll see what the deal is in a couple days before I just snatch the parts from him. I feel for him and understand things happen, so I don't want to burn a bridge with a good mechanic here, he does great work.

Have the vehicle fixed elsewhere and ask for a refund later?
I'm kind of stuck right now because the parts are at the shop and he's in the hospital lol. Right now I guess all I can do is wait. Although at some point whether it's him or a helper or his wife or whoever, someone needs to be there to give people their deposits/money back/parts back.

What is this part and can't you find anybody else to replace it? How much did you put down? He didn't trust you enough that you had to leave a deposit?
He buys the parts from a wholesaler and wants to mark the price up. My guess is too many people change their mind, so that's why he takes a deposit. It's a lift pump for a diesel engine.

I just talked to the mechanic on the phone. I guess they're trying to decide in the next couple days if they need to take his gallbladder out. He says the parts are at the shop, so I can either come get the parts when he gets out of the hospital or wait. I'd really prefer him to do the work, so I guess I'll see what the deal is in a couple days before I just snatch the parts from him. I feel for him and understand things happen, so I don't want to burn a bridge with a good mechanic here, he does great work.
Some of the very best, most honest, and most technically proficient mechanics I have ever known are one man shops. They have to be good to be successful because their ability to make a living relies entirely on their reputation. Clinebarger is a one man shop. I don't think anyone here would hesitate to take their vehicles to him, I wouldn't.
He buys the parts from a wholesaler and wants to mark the price up. My guess is too many people change their mind, so that's why he takes a deposit. It's a lift pump for a diesel engine.
Yep. When I had my shop I had to charge up-front for special order parts. I had to make it an iron-clad policy regardless of who it was because some people will stiff you without a conscience.

Last edited:
I'm trying to get some work done to a vehicle of mine and I drove by to check and see if the part I put a deposit down came in and I find out he's in the hospital. Now with that being said, I get that things happen, but honestly it doesn't sound like they're going to be fixing my vehicle anytime soon. Aren't you supposed to pretty much not do anything for like a month after having surgery? Can they return the parts they ordered assuming they got ordered to their vendor if I go to a different shop? This isn't me trying to back out of the deal, but giving the situation. His wife came out and told me to come back on Monday, today is Wednesday. I didn't really know what to say at the time, but I mean it's a one man operation and I can't wait a month to get my vehicle fixed now. Opinions?
Surgery isn't "Surgery". I recently had 2 cardiac "surgeries" and could have been back at relatively light work the next day, and doing everything within a week.

He may be back at work next week - or not. I'd ask his wife if she knows how long he will be off work. She may know.

Surgery isn't "Surgery". I recently had 2 cardiac "surgeries" and could have been back at relatively light work the next day, and doing everything within a week.

He may be back at work next week - or not. I'd ask his wife if she knows how long he will be off work. She may know.
How long does it take to recover from gall bladder removal? My guess is that's what they'll do if he's in pain. I don't seem him droppinging a fuel tank anytime soon, but I want to give him a few days to see what the situation is before I just yank the job from him.

Some of the very best, most honest, and most technically proficient mechanics I have ever known are one man shops. They have to be good to be successful because their ability to make a living relies entirely on their reputation. Clinebarger is a one man shop. I don't think anyone here would hesitate to take their vehicles to him.

Yep. When I had my shop I had to charge up-front for special order parts. I had to make it an iron-clad policy regardless of who it was because some people will stiff you without a conscience.
Especially since parts departments will charge a restocking fee on special order parts. Only because I get hit with restocking fees from Ford and Mazda.

Especially since parts departments will charge a restocking fee on special order parts. Only because I get hit with restocking fees from Ford and Mazda.
I remember one time I ordered a part and paid for it and 2 days later I went to the dealer to pick it up and they sent it back to the warehouse. Why? I threw a fit and they overnighted the part to my house. Now that same dealer you have to drive to the dealer to pay for the part, then drive back again when it comes in. They don't do credit card over the phone.

Back