Jump to newest UNREAD post in thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something I noticed today. I looked at the topics in a forum and saw 3 new bold titled topics. Didn't open any threads. Went back a few hours later and those 3 threads were not bold anymore, meaning they weren't showing up as "new".

wwillson - is there a time setting in the board software that would cause this to happen (ie, automatically mark new thread as read?). If I recall, with the old software I could not look at the board for days and when I did look, all the threads I never read would be still be showing as new since the last time I looked 3 day prior.

I referred to this same behavior above. I suspect it's related to my original post. Bold means new or updated and in my opinion, a thread should remain bold forever or until I read it.

For me, I've always noticed that if I go to a subforum and ignore a thread, it'll not show up bold again. If I ignore the subforum completely and then go to it, all the unread ones will show as actually unread. I do kind of like that behaviour, because if I ignored a thread in a subforum, I did it for a reason. The behaviour fits well with my habits; of course, not everyone will agree that it works for them.

By ignore, do you mean 'just not read it' or does the board have a feature where you select a thread and "ignore" ?

By ignore, yes, I mean choose not to read, and skip over it. An example would be the two bottom forums, the Promotions one and Items for Sale. I check them only periodically. If I go in there now, there'll be threads marked as unread from ages ago. If I check it now, but don't read anything, and return again tomorrow, and there are no new posts, by some fluke, it would show them all read.

That behavior is odd but I see it as well. This forum software seems to base "new" on when you visit the site, not when/if you read a thread or visit a sub-forum. I still think it's related to the point of my original post too. I can still pick a random thread in a sub-forum I haven't visited before or for a long time, click a thread title link, and it takes me to post # 37 of that thread. I never read posts 1-36 though. I'm guessing post # 37 was added since my last visit....

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
That behavior is odd but I see it as well. This forum software seems to base "new" on when you visit the site, not when/if you read a thread or visit a sub-forum.

I almost seems like it takes the new posts indication off the thread based on a time period. If I stay logged in and read all the new threads in the morning, then come back 6 hours later I see some threads with new posts (indicated by a bold title). BUT, I also noticed some of the thread below the new group also had new posts in them since I last read them, but they were not marked with a bold title. It's like the software will remove the indication of new posts after a certain time period if you haven't read them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back