Mac OS Issues typing in BITOG, disappearing text, changing text, anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apple I5 desktop (2009) macOS Sonoma 14.1.1
Safari Version 17.1

This started happening even before these updates.
I type stuff in response to a person in a thread and previous responses that I posted in other threads start showing up in the text I am trying to type.
More or less I type a response, hit the enter key to go to the next line and all of a sudden text from a previous reply in a different thread populates the new reply in the new thread.
Sometimes a simple back space brings up the original text I was currently typing and removes the text from what just showed up from another thread. I thought maybe the most recent macOS updates would clear this up but still persists.
Its so random its hard to explain, previous text from previous posts randomly just appear while typing.

(maybe Im in here too long*LOL*) Actually it just happened but I hit the save button and the post displayed as I intended.
I dont have this issue with anything else only in BITOG yet I am not saying it is related to BITOG not related to my system. I am trying to remember if it happens on my iPhone but not sure.

Anyone else running macOS with this issue?

Last edited:
Not trying to be a smart axx but maybe time for a new computer. I had a late 2013 Mac that could not longer be updated and started doing weird things so I got a 2021 M1 at Costco for $1500. I have similar weird issues with the wireless keyboard that i haven't figured out yet.

Do those versions get updates anymore?
Absolutely!
Both the latest operating system and Safari version. Within the last month.
The computer itself is three years or less old. When I put 2019 that was to reflect the new updated Mac mini from the old version hardware.
My wife has a Mac OS M1, running the same versions.
Maybe for the heck of it I’ll try that someday this week to see if I could repeat the issue

Apple I5 desktop (2009) macOS Sonoma 14.1.1
Safari Version 17.1

This started happening even before these updates.
I type stuff in response to a person in a thread and previous responses that I posted in other threads start showing up in the text I am trying to type.
More or less I type a response, hit the enter key to go to the next line and all of a sudden text from a previous reply in a different thread populates the new reply in the new thread.
Sometimes a simple back space brings up the original text I was currently typing and removes the text from what just showed up from another thread. I thought maybe the most recent macOS updates would clear this up but still persists.
Its so random its hard to explain, previous text from previous posts randomly just appear while typing.

(maybe Im in here too long*LOL*) Actually it just happened but I hit the save button and the post displayed as I intended.
I dont have this issue with anything else only in BITOG yet I am not saying it is related to BITOG not related to my system. I am trying to remember if it happens on my iPhone but not sure.

Anyone else running macOS with this issue?
What Lonryder said,
i have an iMac M1 & a MacBook M1 with Sonoma 14.1.1 and no problems. Time to ditch the witch
and get yourself a new broom. ;)

Not trying to be a smart axx but maybe time for a new computer. I had a late 2013 Mac that could not longer be updated and started doing weird things so I got a 2021 M1 at Costco for $1500. I have similar weird issues with the wireless keyboard that i haven't figured out yet.
Is it a Logi?

What Lonryder said,
i have an iMac M1 & a MacBook M1 with Sonoma 14.1.1 and no problems. Time to ditch the witch
and get yourself a new broom. ;)
??
My computer is only a year older than yours. I also have an M1 notebook but I don’t really use it too much.
He also mentioned he’s having a problem with his keyboard
The bottom line is, they’re all using the same operating system and same browser.
Waiting for his reply, as to what keyboard he’s using.
Oh, and another just gave an answer who’s having a similar issue

Yes. The solution I've found is to keep the cursor out of the reply box as I'm typing. Park the cursor way off the screen if necessary.
Excellent thank you!!! I’ll give that a shot.
I’m also using a logitech ergonomic wireless keyboard that is Mac compatible
I think maybe your answer for whatever reason is the correct answer as it only happens on this website

Happens to me too on Mac OS in Safari. What I do when text incorrectly auto-populates a reply field is to highlight all the text and press the spacebar once. Then I don't see that text again; don't know if that will work for you. Also, I have to constantly turn off auto correct in Safari. Irritating.

Happens to me too on Mac OS in Safari. What I do when text incorrectly auto-populates a reply field is to highlight all the text and press the spacebar once. Then I don't see that text again; don't know if that will work for you. Also, I have to constantly turn off auto correct in Safari. Irritating.
Yes, that I discovered by accident just in the last day or so. I can’t be sure if I highlighted all the text or just part of it but it’s straightened it out.
I repeated it a few times, but I think it failed once or twice. I could be wrong, but I’ll pay attention next time.
It’s good to see these replies, and I’m glad it’s not some type of corrupted file.
It’s really odd, I almost feel like a throwback in chat rooms from the 1990s LOL

I’ll try the other solution mentioned to about the Java script next time I’m on the computer

The AutoCorrect you gotta love it or hate it, and I can’t figure out which one, many times I hate it

Yes. The solution I've found is to keep the cursor out of the reply box as I'm typing. Park the cursor way off the screen if necessary.
Good tip I think. It started happening today, like always after a few posts. I noticed the cursor on the screen. I moved it off, still happened but then I clicked back on the screen and once again moved it off. It worked, UGH just started doing it again but I forgot and had the cursor on the screen... NOPE, still happening even with it off but interestingly just once instead of annoyingly bad where you think you are going to lose your entire post (and I post some long ones) *LOL*

Ok, as I wrap up this post, it still randomly does it. 2/3rds of top line of what I type goes away but comes right back. I'll make an effort to try to keep the cursor off from the start next time. I can tell it is better but still happening, actually right now, I notice the size of the font changes and then the type runs off the screen, that is a first

Ok, not working for me at all though maybe less severe? I happen to get some screen shots this time. You can notice the line disappears where I say "as I wrap up this post" but once I hit enter to go to the next line it comes back.
I haven't tried the other suggestions yet.
Here you can see the font randomly changed the type got cut off.
Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 10.19.38 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-21 at 10.20.16 AM.png

Absolutely!
The computer itself is three years or less old. When I put 2019 that was to reflect the new updated Mac mini from the old version hardware.
Maybe for the heck of it I’ll try that someday this week to see if I could repeat the issue
You said 2009.

Screen Shot 2023-11-23 at 4.28.35 PM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely!
Have you tried a different browser? The only reason I mention it is that on my phone I can't upload images with Dolphin browser but chrome works fine.

Good tip I think. It started happening today, like always after a few posts. I noticed the cursor on the screen. I moved it off, still happened but then I clicked back on the screen and once again moved it off. It worked, UGH just started doing it again but I forgot and had the cursor on the screen... NOPE, still happening even with it off but interestingly just once instead of annoyingly bad where you think you are going to lose your entire post (and I post some long ones) *LOL*
Have you tried typing your reply in the reply box and then all of a sudden your reply starts typing into the person's quote?

I hate that. When that happens I have to reload the page and start over.

Have you tried typing your reply in the reply box and then all of a sudden your reply starts typing into the person's quote?

I hate that. When that happens I have to reload the page and start over.
I don't remember that happening but if it did, rarely. I still have the issue in the OP though, tried most suggestions so far, at first I thought some were working but they are not. Ive been in BITOG for over a decade now I think and using macOS for the last 3+ years. This is all recent that its taking place.

Well, that explains some replies. Thanks for the catch. Its 2019. The reason I posted the year (which was incorrect) is so people would know it was a late model Mac mini. The newer mini's were updated in 2018 before that time it was several years of Mac mini running on something produced in 2013 or about that time.
SO to be clear, my typo, the correct production year is 2019 not 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back