Looking at a used Cub Cadet

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mother is in need of a new lawn tractor, she lives on about 1 acre, nothing serious, but too much for her to push mow for sure. For the last 5 years she's used a mid-90's B&S powered MTD entry-level riding mower. She bought it used and it's lasted WAY longer than I thought it would. I've plugged and tubed tires on it and kept it running as best I could but it's getting to the point of not-worth-it. The steering is very loose, the deck is in rough shape and it's got carburetor issues now.

The lawn and garden dealer where she bought the old mower has a couple used Cub Cadet mowers for sale. In her price range they have a zero turn but I'm not even considering that as the 'dual transmission' design seems like it would be less than reliable. Up a few dollars from that they have two LT2042 tractors, both for the same price. One has a bagger but looks like it was repeatedly rammed into something, the other one has no bagger but is in much better shape. They're both shaft drive hydrostatic with a horizontal Kohler Command 18 v-twin engine. I've read good things about these engines, my only hangup is on the maintenance and reliability on the hydrostatic transmission.

Anyone had one of these or can shed light on what I should be looking for if I go look at this tractor this week?

Cub Cadets are terrible. Anything besides the 1960s-1980s cast iron machines are just overpriced MTD garbage. They are very cheaply made, and the hydro transmissions are weak. Nothing like what started the Cub Cadet brand years ago. I also would definitely stay away from buying used equipment at a lawn and garden dealer.

Check out craigslist. You can find really nice used riding mowers for good deals and see how the previous owner maintained it, what kind of yard they mowed, etc. Used equipment dealers usually offer higher prices with no warranty, and you have no idea what the previous owner did to it.

The other issue is that with no truck, we have no means of getting it to her house. I looked at Craigslist at the end of last season and found that there are very few private sellers willing to deliver, I will keep an eye on Craigslist. What are some good brands/models to look for?

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
The other issue is that with no truck, we have no means of getting it to her house. I looked at Craigslist at the end of last season and found that there are very few private sellers willing to deliver, I will keep an eye on Craigslist. What are some good brands/models to look for?

As far as brands, John Deere and Craftsman are usually good choices used. I've had good luck picking up some Craftsman LT1000 lawn tractors for friends and family. They have the lever operated hydro or the gear drive. The lever hydro is very easy to use and seems pretty reliable.

Since her yard is 1 acre, a Snapper rear engine riding mower is also a solid choice. Basically indestructible machines.

I've looked at the small 'Forrest Gump' mowers but there's some hilly areas that make me think one of the small ones like that will be a hazard.

I ran across a nice Craftsman LT something or other last year, 20-something horse and everything, it looked to be in very good shape and dude was only asking $650 or so and would deliver. I knew I should've grabbed that when I could.

I own a Cub Cadet GT2550 with the Kohler Command engine and larger deck 50" deck. I agree that the box store version of Cubs are inferior. For that matter so are the green paint models. But if the Cub is one bought from an independent dealer and is a 2000 series machine or higher, it is still made with the cast iron shaft driven rear end. I have about 300 hours on my machine and have had only small maintenance expenses: filters, a belt, plugs, set of blades, etc. The rear end has a filter and is fully serviceable. The machine has eleven grease zerks. Maintenance is the key and if performed there's no reason these machines won't last a long time. Mine is starting it's 12th mowing season and performs like new. The original hood on mine was junk (it cracked), but they replaced it under warranty.

Stay away from Kohler courage engines. They are not nearly as dependable as the Command series. Stay away from the lower series Cubs as they are glorified MTD's. If you decide to go grean paint buy a higher trim, non-box store model. Same issues as the box store Cubs.

I agree that finding a used machine from a personal owner is preferable. Good luck

Last edited:
Picked up CC hood to see Chonda motor - larger had Koehler ... I'm sticking with Craftsman with B&S + cast iron axle

Does your Mercury Mountaineer have a hitch receiver? I thought most all do. If so, you can rent a trailer from U-Haul.
$25 a day for the 5'X9' with a ramp. Easily found at a U-Haul center, but not a U-Haul dealer.

The 2042 my friend bought was owned for one year by the original owner so it has been cared for. He hasn't complained one bit.

He had an ancient Craftsman the deck of which rusted away. His neighbor had a new Craftsman in which the engine died-was repaired and dies again SO HE GOT IT FREE!

Old engine went into the new, shiny red Craftsman and voila' NEW-FREE MACHINE.

The larger, 2000 series Cubs aren't as bad as an earlier poster made them out to be. Go look at it, make an assessment, and if it fits your needs and is in your price range make the deal. With just 1 acre to mow it will likely last a long time, especially if all you do is a weekly mow and don't have ground engaging equipment.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
overpriced MTD garbage.
As far as brands, Craftsman are usually good choices used.

Hey skippy-want to guess who makes Craftsman mowers?

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Does your Mercury Mountaineer have a hitch receiver? I thought most all do. If so, you can rent a trailer from U-Haul.
$25 a day for the 5'X9' with a ramp. Easily found at a U-Haul center, but not a U-Haul dealer.

It does have a reciever but it's not even a class 2, no tow package. I've heard that uhaul won't even rent trailers for third gen explorers due to transmission issues.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
overpriced MTD garbage.
As far as brands, Craftsman are usually good choices used.

Hey skippy-want to guess who makes Craftsman mowers?

Yup, MTD makes some of the Craftsman mowers. Most are made by AYP though, skippy.

Yeah make sure it's wide enough so it's stable on hills. I have a 34" ZTR and anything more than 15 degrees and you can forget about it. You'll be in the Ditch .

Last edited by a moderator:
Ifix- If it's a Cub Cadet you want for around 1 acre of mowing, look for a used 2000 series Cub. All Cubs are not junk. These have a fully serviceable shaft driven transaxle and decent cutting decks. The trans on these hold 6qts of oil and have a big spin-on filter on them. The engines are horizontal shaft. The steering systems aren't the strongest, but they're easy to service and repair if needed.

The one I'm considering is indeed an LT2042 model, specs lead me to believe it's a pretty sturdy piece of equipment. I also like that it has a fully serviceable transaxle. What oil does this transaxle use?

Another poster mentioned grease zerks, another plus.

So I went and looked at it and everything seems pretty solid. It started and ran fine, idled good. I did see a bit of smoke while it was running. I'm not super concerned though, because the oil level was about 1/2 inch over full. Hour meter reads 255.

The transaxles on the 2000 and 3000 series use ordinary 15w40 HD engine oil. The only 2000's I would avoid are the somewhat rare models with the "auto gear" transaxle as opposed to the hydrostatic. These will have an "AGS" marking on the sides. It's basically a fender shift gear drive, where you keep a pedal mashed to "go". No clutching for gear changes. It's a HD setup, but rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back