Jobs and social interaction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ls1mike
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I work alone and don't need any interaction from ‘coworkers'.

Less problems, stress and drama that way.

How did you survive in the Military?

I know on Submarines it is very important to the point where if you don't like someone you focus on one thing you like about them to get by.
There is no place to get away from anyone when you live and work in the same place.

I work at Subase Bangor as a civilian now. We are pretty tight as a whole. Large command Christmas Party, Summer Picnic.
Lots of vets and people who never served worked there and we are very social.

We hang out from time to time, gets drink and plan stuff together. Maybe it is because of the nature of the work we do. We keep it pretty social.

I was Air National Guard and was in a tiny career field (AFSC) and in a small medical evacuation squadron.

Civilian job I work alone.... but we do have a telephone conference once a week to talk business and metrics. Luckily I see my boss and the big boss only once a year, its rare to see them twice a year.

I don't attend golf / beach / bowling / pro sports games, etc... with the 'team' as I'm busy, have other plans that day or the event is too far away.

Being friends with coworkers is ok,but what is toxic is when managers/supervisors become friends with their employees. Managers/supervisors who do that should be terminated immediately.

Originally Posted by Chris142
There is just 2 of us at my job. I don't like dealing with customers because I get anxious around strangers and hate stopping what I'm doing to answer the phone. But I do it if my boss can't. Off the clock we don't talk much unless one of us has a problem.

You boss must be like the guy from Office Space who has people skills.

I couldn't stand all the petty drama of dayshift at the place I work at, and I'm just not wired to be awake at 5am, so I went back to 2nd shift. A lot less drama, and for the most part everyone gets along great even though there's a pretty big age spread, ~21~60.

I also don't have to deal with customers, I just have to make my parts look good and in tolerance, nothing like +/-0.0001 all day
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ZZman
Of course we work to make money for things in life but what about social interaction reasons?

Does your job give you lots of social interaction? Do you hang out with co workers?

Currently my main part time job does give me just enough social interaction. I consider myself a loner mostly and don't really socialize with others when not working. It made me think what I will do when I finally stop working.

How about you guys?

Have kids (I have 2) and you'll learn to appreciate your alone time.... (I try to refrain from socializing with co-workers outside of work. It can create problems if it goes bad, especially if you're in a mgmt role which I've held)

Last edited:
I have always been grateful that my career allows me to interact with different folks every day from all walks of life. We meet at their home and learn a lot about them, sometimes developing lasting friendships.

I love that I am not in a cubicle somewhere working for low pay for a corporation I despise.

We are having a weekend away to Rotorua next month - racing gocarts against other businesses in our game. Staying overnight, as much food and drink as you want...it's going to be an orsum weekend.

I'm not going - I hate social gatherings.

Even worse - my son's wedding in Queenstown next week. I'm not looking forward to it...terrible not to be over the moon about one of your kids weddings, in a sort after tourist location, but I would prefer not to go.

A deserted back road on my motorcycle, now that is something I really want to do.

Originally Posted by Spector
Unfortunately, in today's world dealing with co workers (especially opposite sex or different sexual orientations) has become hazardous to one's employment. Best behavior is mandatory it would seem. Difficult times and socializing with co workers would seem to add fuel to any potential fires.

Exactly right ^^^^^.

I work around a LOT of women...

I behave myself one hundred percent of the time.

I work in a process/plant setting that runs 24/7/365 and all techs work a regular rotating 12hr shift.

I'm one of the old 'experienced' guys. Most of my co-workers are in the 25-35 age group. I find they require very little social interaction given their faces are usually buried in their smart phones any time management isn't looking and any chance they get.

With cancerous poisonous personalities and trouble makers at any job, any career field, any pay scale it's best to say Hi & Bye.

I had a woman call me a very bad slang word for gay because I always ignored her and said hello to all the other females.
shocked2.gif
Just the nasty, bitter look on her face told me to avoid her.

But thats OK. I still try and do my best around slithering snakes and have ‘employee of the year' altitude and keep reaching for the stars.

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back