Jeep needs a power steering pump, which are good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took it back and had it warrantied for another reman A1 Cardone. Worked fine until warmed up and howls like crazy.

Going to pick one up from the dealer, using my mechanic’s account for $300. Would be almost $400 without his account.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Its terrible they even bother to sell that garbage knowing full well most will be returned within a few days in not the same day..
Yeah I thought maybe I'd get lucky and get one that worked good. Boy was I wrong. I had jacked the front up, topped off the fluid and steered lock to lock back and forth to burp it. Then started it and did the same. Made sure the fluid was good and took it for a drive. All seemed good until I drove a couple miles and it warmed up, started howling bad. Fluid level is spot on.

Then I thought, even if I did get one that was quiet, would it last 20 years like the last one? No way. I'm keeping this thing forever.

I gave up on reman stuff a long time ago with the exception of some specialty rebuilders that do stellar work. A good rebuilder can actually improve on OE shortcomings eg using SS sleeves on aluminum racks but chain store remans don't fall into this category.
There was a time I rebuilt all my own stuff but quality parts are getting hard to find if they are not available from the dealer network or its wildly expensive from the part manufacturer eg a starter solenoid at over $150 alone.

Now its either OE new, NOS, specialty reman or if OE parts are available doing it myself.

I learned not to turn in the original part as a core until I was sure the new one worked. The nipple or the reservoir could have been bodged some how. Trav, the sleeves you mentioned are they something a small lathe could produce?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back