Japan taking over the motorcycle industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta say, I LOVE the patriotism of you US guys! If more Aussies had the same type of pride, our car manufacturing industry would probably still be thriving.

Harley's are hugely popular here. I've only ever owned Japanese bikes, and don't see that changing any time soon, but by the time I hit my 50's, I reckon I'll be ready to give one a place in the garage.

Yeah, the "all-American" Harleys...with their Showa forks, their Akebono brakes, their Austrian-cast engine parts, and their wiring harnesses proudly marked "MADE IN CHINA", ridden by people wearing H-D clothing made in China or Mexico.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Yeah, the "all-American" Harleys...with their Showa forks, their Akebono brakes, their Austrian-cast engine parts, and their wiring harnesses proudly marked "MADE IN CHINA", ridden by people wearing H-D clothing made in China or Mexico.
Like everything else !

'But "everyone else" doesn't proudly trumpet "American iron!" at every opportunity!'

^^^ I would think that a Harley Davidson motorcycle would have more American made parts than a Suzuki scooter. ^^^

^^^ I would think that a Harley Davidson motorcycle would have more American made parts than a Suzuki scooter. ^^^

'But "everyone else" doesn't proudly trumpet "American iron!" at every opportunity!'

In all sincerity.....Why do you dislike Harleys and they're owners so much?

Originally Posted By: gman2304

I answer this one! I can tell you why he doesnt. Simple, there are people in this world, not just this country, who hates success of anything, anyone or any company for no reason.
Sadly they get a lot of attention because they make a lot of noise, yet they are just a tiny spec, of all good things in this world and the greatest country on earth, the USA.

Originally Posted By: hpb
Gotta say, I LOVE the patriotism of you US guys! If more Aussies had the same type of pride, our car manufacturing industry would probably still be thriving.

Harley's are hugely popular here. I've only ever owned Japanese bikes, and don't see that changing any time soon, but by the time I hit my 50's, I reckon I'll be ready to give one a place in the garage.

Yes, so true and thank you. Ignore some of the remarks from others in here, as you know, in all parts of the world, there are people who are never happy about anything and certainly not happy about the success of an American icon. But they truly are a tiny portion of our society, they just make a lot of noise and makes them seem bigger then they are. :eek:)

Anyway, back to the Japan vs USA thing. When it comes to motorcycle cruisers over 600cc, lets face it, Harley Davidson beat the heck out of Japanese corporations, Japan is in FULL RETREAT.
The large Japanese made cruisers are dead in the water in the USA. Pulled from showroom floors and a huge line up of larger cruiser models cancelled in the USA showrooms from all the Japanese metric makers, if anyone doubts me, just go to their USA websites online and check for yourself. Good god its been a bloodbath in the 1700 cc cruiser range, floor models brand new sitting on showroom floors of metric dealers sometimes a few years old! Others marked down $5000 just to get rid of them.

The Japanese biggest problem WAS the unfair dollar value ratio they enjoyed for decades, is now gone and we have a level playing field.. They build reliable bikes, but the fit, finish, quality of materials do not come close to Harley or the new kid on the block, Indian.

This has also allowed BMW, Motoguzzi and Triumph to get a stronger foothold here as well. I love the products AND uniqueness of the bikes from those companies as well.
All good brands and companies that take pride in their product, each unique in its features, not a copy of someone else. Im sure and I almost look forward to the day the Japanese can produce a bike like one of the above, again, I like all bikes, I just think its REALLY COOL, that tiny little motorcycle company Harley Davidson is one of the most respected names in the world and one that did not get steamrolled over by the Japanese.

Back to the American worker, which I think is the best in the world. They prove it, everywhere a company treats its workers right, Harley is just one example.

Here is another interesting example of the American worker, one that I doubt anyone else reading this post knows.
TWENTY TWO YEARS
ago a PRIVATELY OWNED foreign automobile maker came to our country. Proud to say, the state I now live in, South Carolina. More proud to say my son now works for them.
This company built an automotive plant at a cost of 2.5 BILLION dollars back in 1994, 22 years ago.
Fast forward to the year 2016, the plant, now IN ITS FIFTH expansion, roughly 1 BILLION dollars or more in each expansion means about somewhere up to 10 BILLION dollars in construction in South Carolina, never mind the hundreds of suppliers and most likely 20,000 jobs and related jobs.
This automobile company AND ITS WORKERS have been so successful that it is now the LARGEST EXPORTER OF AUTOMOBILES IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND SOON THIS YEAR once its FIFTH expansion is finished, THIS FACTORY IN SOUTH CAROLINA USA WILL BE THE LARGEST FACTORY COMPLEX THIS FOREIGN AUTOMAKER HAS IN THE ENTIRE WORLD.

READY FOR THE NAME????
THE NAME IS ... BMW, FANTASTIC STORY, MUCH INFORMATION ONLINE.

Last edited:

I dislike all hypocrisy.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

I dislike all hypocrisy.

Same here...I call it out when I see it from any company (notice I say company, not bike), and indeed there are a few cases where the company of Harley Davidson well deserves the criticism. I don't have a problem with the machines themselves broadly speaking. I judge the bikes themselves based on their actual mechanical merit.

HD got a bit of a helping hand when Japanese motorcycles over 700cc got hit with a 45% tariff in 1983. That made a market for 699cc bikes that were 750 in the rest of the world. Of course HD came out of that with flying colours, but otherwise we would be talking about another of those great manufacturers that went under due to superior competition.

As far as Harley riders go, it isn't all of them, it's just the smug ones who think all other brands are inferior to Harley, and there are a lot of them...as far as their bikes go, I never understood the pairing up of 100 year old engine design technology with things like anti-lock brakes, top of the line stereo systems, and intercoms/Bluetooth....it's the equivalent of equipping a Sopwith Camel with a heads-up display....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JonfromCB
Excuse the pun, but don't sell HD short believing it's all marketing. No one will dispute that marketing gets people's attention, but it's the product that gets their money...or not.

Harley's basic engine designs are 100 years old. They sell because of marketing and an image, not because they're better machines...

What's with all the "marketing" [censored]? Who cares? The title of the thread is about Japan taking over the motorcycle industry...which is a benign concept. Japanese companies manufacture millions of bikes under 125cc and the majority of those are not motorcycles, they are scooters. Back to the title of the thread....HD, a US manufacturer makes and sells half of the worlds motorcycles over 600cc. It is what it is no mater how you feel about it. One US company, half the world supply and no one else comes close. Why do you think each of the Japanese big 4 continually make and market so many HD "knockoffs"? Last time I checked Honda was making no less than 12 different Harley "wanabe" models, yet they produce less than 70,000 total motorcycles over 500cc each year. How do you think that's working out for them and their dealers?

Regarding the engine design point, what major manufacturer can you name that isn't building using the basic "original" engine design of an air cooled piston engine? If you think HD has not changed their "basic engine design" in 100 years you need to take apart a pre 1920 HD single, a HD WWII flat twin, a Knuckle head, a panhead, a shovel head, a twin-cam, a rushmore, and a
V-Rod so you can see for yourself that you are spewing nonsense.

Originally Posted By: JonfromCB
What's with all the "marketing" [censored]? Who cares? The title of the thread is about Japan taking over the motorcycle industry...which is a benign concept. Japanese companies manufacture millions of bikes under 125cc and the majority of those are not motorcycles, they are scooters. Back to the title of the thread....HD, a US manufacturer makes and sells half of the worlds motorcycles over 600cc. It is what it is no mater how you feel about it. One US company, half the world supply and no one else comes close. Why do you think each of the Japanese big 4 continually make and market so many HD "knockoffs"? Last time I checked Honda was making no less than 12 different Harley "wanabe" models, yet they produce less than 70,000 total motorcycles over 500cc each year. How do you think that's working out for them and their dealers?

Regarding the engine design point, what major manufacturer can you name that isn't building using the basic "original" engine design of an air cooled piston engine? If you think HD has not changed their "basic engine design" in 100 years you need to take apart a pre 1920 HD single, a HD WWII flat twin, a Knuckle head, a panhead, a shovel head, a twin-cam, a rushmore, and a
V-Rod so you can see for yourself that you are spewing nonsense.

I didn't say the TYPE of engine design hasn't changed. I'm saying their designs are antiquated, and they are. If they weren't, they'd be liquid cooled and they wouldn't have to install band-aids like the rear cylinder shutdown circuit that keeps the rear cylinder from destroying itself from overheating, or they'd have gear driven engine parts instead on chain driven parts (and then they could get rid of the cheap plastic chain guides...FWIW, the V-Rod was designed by Porsche, not Harley. You also seem to be focused on sales numbers. As a consumer, who cares about sales numbers?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back