It's official! 2018 Accord drivetrains announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Here is the picture I meant to post earlier in the thread. This is carscoops rendition based off the camouflaged Accord.

How disconcertingly amorphous.

My main concern is long term reliability.

Which isn't the main concern of many manufacturers. As long as most of the cars last through warranty they are fine.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
1.5L Turbo and a 10 speed automatic transmission?

There's another car I can check off on the list of one I will never own.

No kidding. Their 5 speed auto was a disaster, can't imagine what the 10 speed will be like!
lol.gif
add a tiny turbo engine that fills the crankcase up with fuel and it sounds like a nightmare of a powertrain.
They might wise up and use a team-developed trans. Many manufacturers are reaching to other brands to jointly develop transmissions.

Here is the picture I meant to post earlier in the thread. This is carscoops rendition based off the camouflaged Accord.

That looks like a Toyota Avalon to me.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
10 speed automatic transmission?

Supposedly, it will be the first in-house Honda tranny that uses conventional planetary gearsets instead of being an automated manual.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I like the idea of smaller displacement inline fours.
These will be inherently smoother than the somewhat unrefined 2.4 liter as well as the V-6.

True, except that the larger (2.4 and 2.5 liter) fours have balance shafts to make them smooth.
I find that 1.8 and 2.0 liter fours (without balance shafts) are rougher than the larger 2.4 and 2.5 engines.
1.5 and 1.6 liter make a good four cylinder engines without balance shafts IMO.
But I'd prefer those in a small car without a turbo charger.

Yuck, I don't like the look of the new Civic and this is just an enlarged Civic. My main beef with Honda is NVH...both the Accord and CRV are LOUD on the highway, to the point that I can't carry a conversation between front and rear seat passengers. My parents also have a late model CRV, and riding in the back of that thing is amazingly loud...doesn't help that my 80+ year old father drives like he's on fire...scares me witless.

The oil level on the '16 CRV rises measurably between changes...the '14 Accord USES a quart every 2-3000 miles and has since new. No rhyme or reason to some of this stuff.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Hahaha Honda finally capitulates to the planetary auto. All those decades of pouting and sulking for nothing lol

I thought they did that (originally) to circumnavigate patents?

More like ease of production and Honda back in the 1970s-1990s was proud of their "in-house" tech.

Honda could have built a 10-speed like their current stepped ATs - ironically enough Allison's new TC10 AMT is very much like a Honda automatic.

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
Yuck, I don't like the look of the new Civic and this is just an enlarged Civic. My main beef with Honda is NVH...both the Accord and CRV are LOUD on the highway, to the point that I can't carry a conversation between front and rear seat passengers. My parents also have a late model CRV, and riding in the back of that thing is amazingly loud...doesn't help that my 80+ year old father drives like he's on fire...scares me witless.

The oil level on the '16 CRV rises measurably between changes...the '14 Accord USES a quart every 2-3000 miles and has since new. No rhyme or reason to some of this stuff.

I like how bank vault still and quiet the Hatches are.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Hondas keep getting uglier with every model refresh.

2018 Accord is no exception.

No such thing as absolutes. Everything is subjective now and in the eye and brain of the beholder.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Personally I don't like the industry's trend towards turbocharged engines, especially in the case of the Accord.

Really? I very much prefer the turbos and the associated mid range torque. I will admit that a truly tiny engine may not be the best choice for a heavy car, turbo or not. But the modern DI turbo setups are, in my opinion, a pleasure to drive. And they do not lose power at altitude.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Personally I don't like the industry's trend towards turbocharged engines, especially in the case of the Accord.

Really? I very much prefer the turbos and the associated mid range torque. I will admit that a truly tiny engine may not be the best choice for a heavy car, turbo or not. But the modern DI turbo setups are, in my opinion, a pleasure to drive. And they do not lose power at altitude.

You want to know just how excited I am to see how the detuned 2.0 from the Type R works out on the Accords, I bought a Civic to buy time for the Accord turbo allowing 1 year to workout teething things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back