It's official! 2018 Accord drivetrains announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2.0 sounds good if they offer it with a manual.

I used to think turbos where a liability but at 12 yrs/230k still running a OEM turbo in my wife's 2005 Legacy wagon. Moreover it's had a steady diet of 4k conventional oil changes its whole life.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
1.5L Turbo and a 10 speed automatic transmission?

There's another car I can check off on the list of one I will never own.

Same here. Especially if the transmission is like some of their other less than stellar transmissions. I can't wait to hear the early adopter's reviews on that transmission.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

No kidding. Their 5 speed auto was a disaster, can't imagine what the 10 speed will be like!
lol.gif
add a tiny turbo engine that fills the crankcase up with fuel and it sounds like a nightmare of a powertrain.

The 5 speed auto had its issues from 2003-2004. 2005+ have been extremely reliable and was used up until 2012 in the Accord. I have even seen them with over 400K on the clock and still working just fine, I would hardly call that a disaster.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Let's see how this affects sales against the new Camry, which is keeping the V6
35.gif

Yes, this will be interesting! I have to say, Toyota really stepped up their game with the Camry, bravo Toyota!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Same here. Especially if the transmission is like some of their other less than stellar transmissions. I can't wait to hear the early adopter's reviews on that transmission.

Check out Odyssey forums whenever the 2018 MY goes on sale, they come with the 10 speed and will be on lots sooner than the Accord.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Are they going to bring back the Accord Coupe?

No word on this yet.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Check out Odyssey forums whenever the 2018 MY goes on sale, they come with the 10 speed and will be on lots sooner than the Accord.

Hopefully they got the transmission right this time. I remember selling them used and getting death threats from people who didn't take the extended warranty and had to pony up 5 grand to get them replaced shortly after they bought them. It happened quite a few times, fun times!

Originally Posted By: dishdude

No kidding. Their 5 speed auto was a disaster, can't imagine what the 10 speed will be like!
lol.gif
add a tiny turbo engine that fills the crankcase up with fuel and it sounds like a nightmare of a powertrain.
Yeah, a turbo, another point of failure and potentially something else expensive to replace once the miles get high. Honda isn't exactly known for the best transmissions so 10 speeds will be interesting.

I do agree they should have replaced the K24, the one in my grandmother's CRV is painfully slow, the 2.4L in my Sonata isn't very fast but it's leaps and bounds faster than the K24.

I don't agree with the painfully slow part, if you're used to engines that offer more torque down low then the K24 will probably feel slow by comparison. In typical Honda fashion they like to be revved to make power. The K24 in my Accord doesn't make peak HP until 7000 RPM. It sounds pretty nice when you wind it out though, with a nice V-TEC pop at 5000 RPM. In contrast, the Jetta in my sig equipped with the 1.8 TSI is nice and torquey down low. It hits peak torque (184 pound feet) at 1500 RPM. However winding it out isn't as rewarding as the Accord, as you pass 3500 RPM power slowly fades.

Hopefully they got the transmission right this time. I remember selling them used and getting death threats from people who didn't take the extended warranty and had to pony up 5 grand to get them replaced shortly after they bought them. It happened quite a few times, fun times!

What transmissions are you referring too? I'm curious.

Here is the picture I meant to post earlier in the thread. This is carscoops rendition based off the camouflaged Accord.

What transmissions are you referring too? I'm curious.

I left Honda in 03. Most of the problems were from 1999-2003, that I had experience with, some in warranty some out. V6 Accords and Odyssey's, had the most problems. They had problems after that too, but I had no first hand experience with them, just exchanged war stories with friends that didn't leave the business.

I do agree they should have replaced the K24, the one in my grandmother's CRV is painfully slow, the 2.4L in my Sonata isn't very fast but it's leaps and bounds faster than the K24.

The K24 is awesome. If you drove the CRV with the slushbox and non DI engine i understand. Try out a K24W1 manual based car like 13+ Accord and it will knock your socks off. In addition to the flat torque curve it has a nice peak power band and the trans shifts oh so nice.

Using magazine numbers (i know, not the best data) C&D ripped a 6.6 0 to 60 in an accord sport manual. Their same numbers for 2015 Sonata 2.4 auto is 7.9 seconds.

Long story short, the K24 has always been great. They should just do a turbo K24 for the Accord, not a 2.0 or 1.5.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: 555
Let's not forget the cost of fuel in the rest of the world. Manufacturers will still have to make fuel efficient vehicles to satisfy other markets.

The price of fuel has been dropping for the last several years and summer gas prices are expected to be the lowest they've been since 2005. CAFE requirements were to move the fleet numbers up to as high as 60 mpg for small cars by 2025 or 46 mpg for large cars in 2025. In 2012 it was just 28 mpg, got to get rid of V6's if you're going to hit those targets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_...ar.2C_2011-2025

The price of a barrel of oil has dropped, not the price for the end consumer in other countries, or at least not by much.
CAFE is for North America.
Several countries have a graduated vehicle tax based on engine displacement(you would not believe some of the rates!)On top of this there are carbon dioxide taxes!
Manufacturers want to reduce the number of optional engines to decrease costs and complications.
CAFE or not there are still plenty of North American drivers who remember the shock of 4 and 5 dollar a gallon gas six months after buying their new Suburban. They don't want to get caught with their pants down again.
CAFE is a bargaining tool. You don't usually pay sticker for a new car(yeah I know, depends on the car). The standards are always too high.
There are small cars(or as I like to call them "egg with headlights") that already achieve 60 m.p.g and more on government test cycles. Some would not be a new car buyers choice, but some buyers are paying close to $8 a gallon for gas.
Small displacement turbo motors are here to stay if the demand is there. Some buyers are only going to see the m.p.g. after looking at the price on the window sticker. One benefit is that turbo and engine management technology are much improved especially for the aftermarket. You can throw a turbo on a big displacement motor (5.0 Mustang?).Who doesn't like that idea?

Originally Posted By: Kira
Alex_V said, "...no more rear bank VCM..." What's that? Valve Cover Maintenance?, Madness?, Mayhem? Mucking About?,

Variable Cylinder Management

Here is the picture I meant to post earlier in the thread. This is carscoops rendition based off the camouflaged Accord.

that'll get stuck going over a manhole cover...

Considering that all of the bits and pieces are already in production with the suppliers and that the cars themselves either are now or will be very shortly in production, this can't be that much of a secret in the industry.
I like the idea of smaller displacement inline fours.
These will be inherently smoother than the somewhat unrefined 2.4 liter as well as the V-6.
I expect a new V-6 of maybe three liters to debut shortly since a new engine is needed for the larger Honda vehicles. The current V-6 is pretty long in the tooth.
The two liter turbo will likely match the output of the current V-6.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Hopefully they are not using anything they learned from their racing programs.
27.gif

LOL
27.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back