It's about lots and lots of coffee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black with sugar, my wife makes it strong. One cup in the morning, on occasion I'll have two. I typically don't drink it during the hotter summer months. I can honestly say I have never had a cup of coffee after 12:00 noon.

Last edited:
I remember reading a report i think it was consumer reports that they listed the caffeine content of many different coffees. The best buy was 8 O'clock Columbian as it had the highest caffeine amount for the money.

I can drink most any other coffee and go to sleep but not so much with the 8 o clock.

I have tried many other brands and eventually get a headache if i dont go back to the 8 o clock columbian so it must have a bunch of caffeine that keeps me in check.

I can drink it black, with cream and sugar or whatever..but my favorite is Hazelnut sugar free powder..so yummy.

I havent tried Chock Full O Nuts...but it is always tempting because i love just about everything nutty.

I find it really hard to find a good cup of coffee commercially when I'm in the U.S. So far I find White-Castle to be the best. Dunkin and Starbucks just don't do it for me. I'm not sure what it is. Maybe the UHT creamers/Milk

McDonalds isn't bad but I find I need a lot more cream/sugar to make it drinkable.

Maybe it's because of the whole Tim-Hortons factor.

I just can't drink coffee, I have tried to like it but it just doesn't agree with me. The weird thing is, I love the smell of coffee, and I love the taste of coffee flavored things like ice cream. If I need a caffeine fix I go for a Tim Horton's Iced Capp or Mountain Dew. But if I drink caffeine a few days in a row, the "wake up" effect no longer works and I need to have a few days without caffeine in order to reset my system.

Don't you guys that have caffeine every single day find it no longer works at waking you up because your body has adjusted to it?

Patman,

My spouse is like that. Loves the smell of it but can't drink it.

As for adjusting to the caffeine I still feel the pick-me up and I don't think I need to consume more than I did say 10-15 years ago. Maybe more than when I first started drinking coffee but I think that's normal.

Originally Posted By: Patman
I just can't drink coffee, I have tried to like it but it just doesn't agree with me. The weird thing is, I love the smell of coffee, and I love the taste of coffee flavored things like ice cream. If I need a caffeine fix I go for a Tim Horton's Iced Capp or Mountain Dew. But if I drink caffeine a few days in a row, the "wake up" effect no longer works and I need to have a few days without caffeine in order to reset my system.

Don't you guys that have caffeine every single day find it no longer works at waking you up because your body has adjusted to it?

I'm with you, I drank the free coffee at work for a while and just got sick of having a nasty taste in my mouth all day. At first it was a nasty metallic taste that I tracked down to the really gross liquid "creamer" that doesn't need to be refrigerated (what IS that stuff??), but even black coffee left me with an aftertaste I couldn't shake no matter what. I eventually realized that taste was what my parents' breath smelled like, with tobacco smoke mixed in for them. I still like coffee ice cream and the bottled Dunks and Stabbucks drinks with tons of sugar and dairy in them.
I can drink caffeine right before bed with no issue, I think that all that caffeine gives me is an overactive bladder along with a headache and nausea when I end up going cold turkey on it. I usually drink Diet Mountain Dew (DMD) and can wean off it nicely by going 3-2-1-0 on my bottles per day...the stuff is strangely addictive and I love it and hate it at the same time. I wean off the caffeine any time I am going to be flying or making long drives so I don't have to deal with having to pee nonstop.
I was out of Dew one day and stopped at a gas station on the way work to find that they were fully stocked on everything under the sun except for DMD...I cursed under my breath and went to pick out a sweet premade coffee drink. A lady about my age came rushing in about then and swore under her breath when she got to the Dew section, and I said it really stunk that they were out of the good stuff. She smiled and laughed, then I said something about how it was so strange that a soda had such a hold on me. She suddenly looked very at me very seriously, shook her head, and replied,
"It's a slippery slope..."

I'm a diet coke / diet pepsi aholic to the point I intentionally don't buy it except on occasion because I was drinking gallons of stuff daily and that can't be healthy. I was never a fan of the regular sugar pop and ours is made mostly with beet sugar.

56.gif

Five cups at the peak. Currently enjoying three. Cream and sugar thanks. Otherwise I want an espresso. Black.

I can sleep right after an espresso. About the only thing that is awesome that is actually GOOD for you.

Spring for the good beans. Lots of junk in the commodity stuff. Besides it tastes better.

I drink two or three 12+ oz travel mugs each day so that is four to six standard coffee cups.

Usually Starbucks Italian roast. My daughter works there and can take home a bag of beans each week. She keeps me supplied.

I grind it as I need some and make a pour over. I have a French Press as well, but seldom use it.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I drink two or three 12+ oz travel mugs each day so that is four to six standard coffee cups.

Usually Starbucks Italian roast. My daughter works there and can take home a bag of beans each week. She keeps me supplied.

I grind it as I need some and make a pour over. I have a French Press as well, but seldom use it.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
It all tastes the same, but I stick with the smaller bags. I've tried buying the big cans or tubs and halfway through I get sick of it.

I am sorry you have no taste buds, Bud.
13.gif

There is a massive difference esp. if you have a decent coffeepot that brews with the right temperature.

I dislike most light roast they seem to have a "woody" aftertaste.

I usually drink medium-dark to dark roast.. but it depends on the coffee bean origin.

Starbucks can be terrible esp. pike place roast.. some of their other coffees are "ok to decent"

I have a hard time drinking coffee at restaurants I usually bring coffee from home in a thermos cup.. and drink it afterwards
coffee2.gif

Mcdonalds and Bob Evans are drinkable if fresh.

I drink about 3 pots per week. I really like black iced coffee, so I make pots on the weekend, drink it hot, and put the rest in a glass container in the fridge. I'll get about 2 more days worth of coffee from that, then I'll make another pot sometime during the week. I like a medium roast now, usually buy whatever the new 2-3lb bag is at Costco.

I brew mine at home in a stove top percolator. Drink 2-3 cups a day, but I can have it right before bed no problem. I like the dark roast stuff. At work we have a Keurig machine but I don't really like the waste it generates, so I bought an electric percolator lol.

Originally Posted By: AdamZ
I brew mine at home in a stove top percolator. Drink 2-3 cups a day, but I can have it right before bed no problem. I like the dark roast stuff. At work we have a Keurig machine but I don't really like the waste it generates, so I bought an electric percolator lol.

That's about as far back from new school to old school as you can go. I admire it!

I drink the free Folgers at work, I'm one of the first ones here so I usually make it, 4 heaping and one regular scoop into a Chinese "Bunn" coffee maker. It's better than what I make at home, but at home I have a cheap B&D that needs to just die already. I'd love to get an all-stainless drip coffee maker to replace this one I have. Besides the likely too-low temperature, I feel like the plastics, especially in the grounds basket can change the taste of the coffee.

I have a French press that I've only used a handful of times, I guess I just haven't perfected a method yet.

I'm about 50/50 on whether coffee is simply a vehicle to deliver caffiene or whether I actually like the taste. One thing is for sure, though, I drink it black 90% of the time. Occasionally I'll use heavy cream, at home. I've thought about trying Bulletproof Coffee again soon, coffee with butter (Kerrygold is best, in my limited experience making it), coconut oil, and/or a few other fats to make a filling, energizing breakfast fat bomb.

I dropped out of the drip coffee scene and returned to a percolator. Has much more flavor than the drip kind. Two 10 cup pots/day and 2 cups at night before bed. Use that Italian sweet cream when I think about it. Any brand is fine as long as it isn't decaf. Decaf gives me a headache.

I have every kinds of coffee maker imaginable but I love my commercial BUNN coffee maker the best. It's hooked up to my R.O. water and it brew superior coffee with it's ultra-hot water. LOVE IT!

Usually about a pot a day, either Peets or Tim Hortons. Grind the beans fresh for the pot. Purely because I like the taste. Black. I can have a cup before I sleep and sleep like a baby. Now a beer at night I prefer over a coffee. I have also tried not having any coffee for a few days to see if I really "need" it and I was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back