Is Walmart getting rid of Fram TG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: blupupher

Sad to see the TG go, but honestly, I'd have no use for one when the Extra Guard gets the silicone ADBV.

I wonder if the mileage will get pushed to 10k as well... I bet their prices will slightly increase too.

But the media in the TG is much better than the extra guard. I don't see them changing mileage limit by just changing the ADV to silicone. It still needs a blended media for me to use it to 10,000 miles.

The Extra Guard is blended media.

They may up the mileage on the Ultra to 20k so guessing they'll up the mileage on the Extra Guard isn't too unreasonable. Also, the main reason (IMO) for them switching from nitrile to silicone would be a longer service life. Some here claim they behave better in the winter, but I haven't experienced that yet so I can't comment.

Why are you using a filter that doesn't behave well in the winter?
I quit using AC Delco because of winter misbehavement. All is quiet on winter startup now and my former AC Delco PF61 never had an ADBV to begin with.

I run Fram, Wix or Napa Golds for awhile now. Even leave them on for two OCIs (12K)

They may up the mileage on the Ultra to 20k so guessing they'll up the mileage on the Extra Guard isn't too unreasonable. Also, the main reason (IMO) for them switching from nitrile to silicone would be a longer service life. Some here claim they behave better in the winter, but I haven't experienced that yet so I can't comment.

Hmm, it is. I thought the PH series had just cellulose media.
It is still a different media though, PH is 95% > 20 microns, TG is 99%.
They also feel and look different. I guess the TG has more synthetic media?

Apparently the XG is now a 20,000 miles filter according to the Fram website.

Still have not been to my (brand new) local Walmart to see if they are on clearance. @ $4.50 I will pass. If they get to $3, I will debate it (I just have too many filters as is).

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Why are you using a filter that doesn't behave well in the winter?

Where did you pull this from?

Hmm, it is. I thought the PH series had just cellulose media.
It is still a different media though, PH is 95% > 20 microns, TG is 99%.
They also feel and look different. I guess the TG has more synthetic media?

Apparently the XG is now a 20,000 miles filter according to the Fram website.

Still have not been to my (brand new) local Walmart to see if they are on clearance. @ $4.50 I will pass. If they get to $3, I will debate it (I just have too many filters as is).

I am assuming they have much more because as you said, they feel and look different. I personally feel the Extra Guard could be stretched to 10k, but a few of the models could use a bit more media. The PH16 for my Jeep used to be horrid, but looks much better these days. I think a few more pleats would do it good.

x2 on passing on the TG's. I may jump if they go a little lower.

The TG is my favorite filter, but I would not be all that surprised if it goes away. Motorking has alluded that it accounts for a very small percentage of sales, and sitting between the cash cow orange can and the Ultra which has been a big hit with the premium filter crowd I bet it's sales have slipped even more.

At Wally's if you don't produce you are gone.

Hopefully I can snag a few at a discount but would also be quite happy with an orange can with a silicone ADBV for some of my applications.

Happened to be in Wally's yesterday and checked the TG's. Sure enough they were on clearance for $4.50. Some were already gone but I was able to snag 3 TG3600's which I can technically use on at least 4 of the vehicles I service.

Orange cans were still $3.77 I wonder how much they will be if they really add a silicone ADBV.

Probably a dollar more.
I'm still leaning in the direction where the Extra Guard is eliminated and the current Extra Guard with silicone ADBV will become the new Tough Guard, but a dollar or-so cheaper than the old Tough Guard.

In addition to the Tough Guards, the Walmart near work has a few Fram Ultras on clearance as well. Just got an XG16 for the Volvo for $4.50.

Interestingly, in Brickseek, every other store in town has it for regular price. Might be something to do with this being a weirdo non-24hr Walmart without TLE, and ~2/3rds of the auto section of a typical store.

Originally Posted By: mooferz

Interestingly,, every other store in town has it for regular price. Might be something to do with this being a weirdo non-24hr Walmart without TLE, and ~2/3rds of the auto section of a typical store.

Same here - only one of 4 stores in Waco has put ever XG Frams on clearance. I grab 'em all.

Yep, most of them are 4.50 in Highlands Ranch CO. Oddly enough there are a good many TG7317 but a many of the other spots are empty...

It's a good deal if you don't want to pay shipping and buy a large quantity. Plus you can check them in the store.

They are moving like hot cakes at a fund raiser. First Walmart was sold out of TG2 and PH2. Second Walmart had plenty of stock. My hand almost picked up the XG2.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I don't think $4.50 is a good deal. I can buy bulk Ultra filters for $4.50. Drop them to $2.00 and I ll buy them up.

Where do you buy the bulk filters? Both of my cars and my motorcycle take the same filter, I'd like to order a bunch of them. Fram Ultras, or any good filter for that matter.

Originally Posted By: Tenukitime
I don't think $4.50 is a good deal. I can buy bulk Ultra filters for $4.50. Drop them to $2.00 and I ll buy them up.

Where do you buy the bulk filters? Both of my cars and my motorcycle take the same filter, I'd like to order a bunch of them. Fram Ultras, or any good filter for that matter.

Ebay. You can find 6 packs of Ultra's (or Fram Pro Synthetic, same thing minus the grippy stuff on the end) for $25-30 shipped.

Ebay. You can find 6 packs of Ultra's (or Fram Pro Synthetic, same thing minus the grippy stuff on the end) for $25-30 shipped.

Anybody ever bought a pack of XG7317 from ebay? I wasn't able to find any, but maybe they're just out of stack at the moment.

The Walmart near me (Norristown, PA) also seems to be getting rid of the TG. All marked $4.50.
I stopped in to see if they had any TG3614 or TG7317.

All they had in those sizes were some empty boxes. Why empty boxes? I'm sure that's because the actual filters were moved to supertech boxes so people could buy the TG filters at an even cheaper price. There were some random bare supertech filters on the shelves.

That's a shame. I liked the TG and it was handy that Walmart carried them when I needed one.

-A

Just picked up 2 TG3387 and 2 TG8A for $3.00 each. Surprised to see these still there.

Last edited:

Anybody ever bought a pack of XG7317 from ebay? I wasn't able to find any, but maybe they're just out of stack at the moment.

FPS 7317 is the same thing, but only one seller of the 6 pack right now, about $6.50 a filter, cheaper than at the store, but not the cheapest they have been.
LINK

Just picked up a TG4967 for my Camry for $3.00. I'm not quite due for an oil change but this is the filter I was planning on buying anyway. Not bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back