Is this a legit email or malware?

No, that is not legit. The email does not come from OneDrive.

1664833613988.jpg

This is what they look like:
1664833771117.jpg

Never click on a link, even if it's with a firm you do business.

Manually enter the URL to the vendor and login that way. Phishing and other attacks can look like legitimate vendors. But if you enter URLS yourself or from your bookmarks, you can be certain you are going where you think you are.

There are a number of ways to make URLs look legitimate including using Cyrillic letters that look the same and so on.

If I get a link from "my bank" or "my broker" and so on, I don't click the link. I enter the URL to the vendor and log in to double check.

Onedrive is legit and used by many folks and businesses for legitmate purposes.

That being said, if you don't recognize the sender and are not expecting the file/link, its malware or phishing.

Why anyone would want to click on it after that I'll never understand. I've got way better things to do with my time than undo anything that would come from clicking on it.

And I say that as a victim of identity theft.

That being said, if you don't recognize the sender and are not expecting the file/link, its malware or phishing.
How can you recognize every possible sender? When I get my credit card bill, I often don't recognize a few of the charges. After some investigation, I realize, yes I did buy that from this store.

I don't recognize "every possible sender". I recognize the ones I am expecting.

Its crystal clear you don't work in an environment where professionals share access to files. Literally any link of this type sent between us is preceeded or followed by an email stating to expect the link or a phone call, etc... for this exact reason.

Everything else is ignored.

This isn't an office environment but see what you're saying. Wouldn't security software warn of or block a dangerous link? I clicked on a link in another forum and got this,

Untitled.jpg

Why would a malware site warn you that you are about to go to a malware, trogan or spyware site?
Because they want to sell you a fix for the problem, or get permission to take over your computer to "fix" the problem, or download malware. or download and steal your computer info, etc. That 844 number is a fraud. Wife dealt with this very fraud on her laptop last night, but the callback number was a California area code. Same screen shot type.

Last edited:
Because, in your example, there is no malware, trojan or spyware site to go to. The fake weblink itself causes the popups, hoping to make you panic and call the number.

Scam, you call the number , they claim to be microsoft or some similar company, for a fee they will remove the software, you give them you card, and or access to your computer via anydesk or somthing. They claim they over charged and you need to send them a refund via gift cards or mailed cash.

Probably something like that, usually used on really old people.

Check out youtube -Scammerpayback .

Most everybody knows these are scams, or don't they? Same as $2000 2018 Hondas on Craigslist, or an unclaimed locker at JFK with $5 million in cash has your name on it.

Most everybody knows these are scams, or don't they? Same as $2000 2018 Hondas on Craigslist, or an unclaimed locker at JFK with $5 million in cash has your name on it.
They work on some people, like really old people, or they would not be trying it. Cast a big net.

It's kind of a reverse psychology. These "warnings" pop up showing that you have some sort of malware on your PC, makes it annoying and near impossible for somebody to close out of the warning, and folks end up calling the number. The "tech-support" remotes into your PC, makes it look like they fixed your PC, and then charges you. I deal with these nearly daily and it's mainly the elderly or technologically challenged that fall for it, most don't. I sent out a fake phishing email to everybody in my company and out of 70 employees, I think 4 or 6 employees clicked on my fake phishing test link. I've heard stories where people actually fell for a fake email and went out to buy gift cards because of whatever "your account is about to be suspended" email they got. Knowledge is the key here so folks that are more informed and trained about the basics of what to look out for tend to be better off.

Back