Is there proof that motor oil is a carcinogen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's just me imagining it, but it seems that a lot of old, retired mechanics have Parkinson's disease.

Lots of old people develop Parkinson's, which is not a Cancer. Current literature suggests certain proteins play a role.

As for prostrate Cancer, if you are male and live long enough, you will develop it. One in six males aged 65 have enlarged prostrates, some of those will develop Cancer. With each five years above 65, the occurrence of enlarged prostrate increases.

Cancer is a natural phenomena; dinosaurs got Cancer, every time a cell divides there is a chance of cancer. In fact you body's own immune system identifies and kills cancerous cells every day of your life. It is only when the growth overwhelms your system that it can grow to become a medically treated condition.

Plus it's not one disease, it's hundreds of specific, unique Cancer types.

It takes ten years before a cancerous lump grows to the size of a pencil eraser. From there, it can kill within a year. That's why early detection is critical. Get those yearly prostrate exams!

I lost a good friend to cancer last year. In June a "spot" on her chest X-ray was 2cm x 5 cm ( 1x2 inches). A year earlier her X-ray (annual medical) was clean. In September she was dead. She only spent a month in hospital, fully functional before then, running her business daily. Just before (two weeks) she died they had to perform emergency surgery on her brain as the cancer had spread there in the meantime, to relieve pain.

Oil contains BTEX chemicals....benzene, toluene, ethylene and xylene....all proven carcinogens under OSHA. However, it's in very small percentages. There are other chemicals in oil, especially the organic flavors, but it's the percentages that must be considered. I've read an article that said the most highest concentration of cancer patients are located between Baton Rouge and New Orleans along the Mississippi River.....a lot of refineries in that area. It all comes down to exposure times.

It's like with smokers. Most don't know that nicotine is NOT a carcinogen. It's all the other byproducts of combustion when that cigarette is lit, that it becomes highly carcinogenic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back