Is it a good oil to use? Kendall full synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be curious to hear what Molakule or SonOfJoe had to say about this, but I'd imagine this would be fine in an older vehicle as long as nothing in the oil has deteriorated over time.
Not thinking of the oil itself but the additives...seems like something robust enough to survive in a hot engine for 6 months or whatever should be stable on a shelf for 12 years, but I am out of my depth on this stuff.
Didn't somebody here contact XOM and was told that 5 years was a safe shelf life for M1? That would surely be a well padded figure, also....

Originally Posted by NissanX
My car is an 07 xterra and it specifies in the owners manual API SM. Is it good or did it hurt it? I will buy something else if I have to.

Heck, I ran circa 1969 and 1970 10W40 and 10w30 PENNZOIL in cardboard cans in my old 97' Bonneville without any issues

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Didn't somebody here contact XOM and was told that 5 years was a safe shelf life for M1? That would surely be a well padded figure, also....

Valvoline says oil has no shelf life.
What makes Valvoline special compared to the 5 year shelf life of Mobil oil (and 4 year of Pennzoil)? Nothing, the shelf life is a CYA lawyer phrase due to engine oil spec requirements and a marketing strategy to get you to buy more oil.

There have been several VOA and UOA done on 10-20 year oil and they have all shown it to be fine.

blupupher, nice Valvoline link. Nice to see they are not doing CYA like some other lawyer-pecked companies.
Just be sure to shake it up, as additives can settle out of course. I can't see a good groupIII oil like that being any problem for any new car today actually. Run as normal.

For free, back up the truck.

Even as old as it is, has always been a great oil. Will work perfectly!

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Unless you are financially stricken, donate the old oil to a Needy Center and take a ride to Walmart.

What the world??!!?
lol.gif

This speaks volumes about the poster.

I don't know...

But that was strange... Yet funny to me.

Donate oil to a needy center ????!!!??

I think non perishable food would be a better idea... Don't know... Call me crazy
lol.gif

I donate oil to the local trash/recycle center... An old guy there was a bit of a "salty dog" type guy... But he was cool though actually. I asked him about leaving my mixed clean oil for someone else to use in their outdoor power equipment... he said, sure. That's my needy center for oil
lol.gif

Also me happy to know that oil helped someone else out... And it was a heck of a mix of Super S, Havoline, Shell, Valvoline, Quaker State, Castrol and Mobil Super conventional oils... All 5w30.

Last edited:
Hey 4wd....

Don't be airing your wrong application oil mistakes
lol.gif

Swear... Can lead that horse to the trough... can't make 'em drink.

You know what it is …
It's that poor guy who wound up with your motor oil cocktail

Originally Posted by 4WD
You know what it is …
It's that poor guy who wound up with your motor oil cocktail

Whatever
lol.gif

Always good to see you on here man
smile.gif

What about the 540RAT blog?? Does that test have any relevance in the real world? In an engine? Would it be bad?

Just forget about it and you will be better off.

What about the 540RAT blog?? Does that test have any relevance in the real world? In an engine? Would it be bad?

🛥🎣ðŸŸ

Yes, of course but there doesn't seem to be a thread that actually disproves what the guy claims to know about oil. The testing equipment, etc. I have to ask, what do you think about the blog?

The bunk blog you refer to has many threads disproving his pseudo science. But by all means continue so this thread you have continuously posted on about said blog can be locked. It is only a matter of time before your banned again.

Yes, of course but there doesn't seem to be a thread that actually disproves what the guy claims to know about oil. The testing equipment, etc. I have to ask, what do you think about the blog?

You didn't look hard enough.

What makes you think the Rat is the authority on this? The fact that he is an ENGINEER which he proclaims over and over on his blog?

Last edited by a moderator:
How about this.
The lubrication field is loaded with PhD chemist/chemical engineers to basic engineers as tribologists and formulators … with combined experience way into hundreds of years. They produce the individual products that go into lubricants, test formulations against standard tests industry wide … conduct Proof of Performance tests to gain approvals/stamps/monograms as per well established committees and OEM end users with similar engineering/chemical prowess … Design>>>Execute>>>Evaluate>>>Improve>>>Repeat
They are vertically functioning companies with R&D and all other facets having full management on down teams …
These companies also have industrial lubricant divisions and racing interests worldwide …

And Rat ?

The thing is that if you knew all about the threads you'd know what I think about it.

So either you haven't read the threads, or you know all about them and are here (again) just to stir up contention and dissent.

You probably participated in those threads is what I'm guessing.

Originally Posted by kschachn

The thing is that if you knew all about the threads you'd know what I think about it.

So either you haven't read the threads, or you know all about them and are here (again) just to stir up contention and dissent.

You probably participated in those threads is what I'm guessing.

I bet a Benjamin Franklin kschachn is 100% correct here
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back