Is fuel dilution taken into account when they recommend xw-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Zolton

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Today I learned 5w20 is only good to 10 degrees and 5w30 only good to 30 degrees. Who knew?

On the last picture the strips for 5w20, ends on his right side (RIGHT), by -10°C
laugh.gif
From which (old?) car is that? No 5W-40 and no 0W-40 in the chart??

@demarpaint
I mean trundle on the highway (rush) is better for the engine than hard stop&go in the city. Or not?
55.gif

@littlehulkster
If you have a used car that treats you well and runs a long time, you're a lot more likely to stick with that brand when the time comes to buy a new one.
The problem with that: You buy new cars more rare
56.gif

Originally Posted by littlehulkster
Originally Posted by PWMDMD
What do most manufactures care about? Getting the car through the warranty and possibly the window for common surveys on reliability. They don't care if your car will do +200K miles but these days just about any car can get through warranty regardless of the oil used and fuel dilution. Matter-of-fact it's in their interest that your car doesn't last so you have to buy a new one...and if the car lasts just long enough and keeps you happy just long enough...hopefully you buy from them.

So no..unless it would have an effect on 0-60K miles I don't think they care what oil grade is best for the very long-term...just which is best for meeting CAFE and warranty obligations. That said, I agree with others that I don't believe I've ever seen real proof that fuel dilution is really a problem. I've seen lots of UOAs with significant fuel dilution and great wear numbers.

I actually do think manufacturers want their cars to last, because most of them understand that used cars are the best advertising for new cars.

If you have a used car that treats you well and runs a long time, you're a lot more likely to stick with that brand when the time comes to buy a new one. Companies like Honda and Toyota have built themselves on that sort of thing.

In the US the average time of ownership of a brand new vehicle is 5.9 years and the average miles traveled per year in the US is 13,400 miles or an average of 79,000 miles per car before first sale. I give big business no credit....regardless of sector or product. I think most manufactures probably shoot for 100K trouble-free miles but few if any are trying to engineer +200K miles. Perhaps Toyota, Lexus and maybe a few others but if everyone is shooting for +200K miles they really suck at their jobs because many fail to get anywhere near that mileage on average.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by Zolton

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Today I learned 5w20 is only good to 10 degrees and 5w30 only good to 30 degrees. Who knew?

That chart is on a 35 -40 year old Porsche. SE-SF

Originally Posted by Lowflyer
75% U.S highway mileage is the best driving profile than a car can have... Denali, which? Terrain? Or Yukon?

Yukon

Perhaps a richer fuel mix on 87 octane to help prevent pre-ignition.

If the fuel isn't burned, it goes somewhere...

Originally Posted by TiGeo

What does running 87 vs. 91/93 have to do with fuel dilution in the oil? If the car was tuned to run on 87, it can run on 87 regardless of it having a turbo. The VWs have no issue with it in their current gen turbo 4s..[censored]...even APR has performance tunes out that can run on 87.

All about "clearances" in the BMW M3 F80 Competition manual:
1. SAE 0W-30, 5W-30, 0W-40, 5W-40
2. BMW Longlife-01, LL-01 FE , LL-04 , LL-12 FE

Best...
smirk2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back