Is CR-V AWD really that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by nthach
IMO, you can't beat Subaru AWD for the hoi polloi. Audi quattro is good as well.

Subaru's AWD system biggest weakness if the CVT attached to it. CVT's and AWD are not a good mix for when things get sketchy and the CVT gives up sending no power to the drivetrain.

The old CR-V failed the uphill roller test from a Swedish magazine (on youtube).

The current CR-V? Haven't seen roller tests for it yet.

The biggest weakness for FWD + snow tires is climbing steep hills. AWD + good all-seasons can still climb steep hills, even better when AWD is combined with snow tires.

Originally Posted by benjy
many AWD's are just a selling point that adds cost, take that away from the problematic + now anemic Subarus + they are toast. for much less 4 snow tyres on a FWD is better than almost all AWD vehicles with all season but winter tyres, not to mention AWD does NOTHING to stop in shorter distances in ice + snow!!! so in review buy 4 wheels of choice + get snow tires mounted on them + change as needed, it also gives many a real spare VS a doughnut or worse a can of fix-a-flat like many cars get today!! while working construction with my 2001 jetta with 4 snow tyres i passed struggling 4WD pickups as well with incorrect tyres for the season. pickups being normally RWD + being light in the rear need 4 WD + snow tyres as well IMO.

Put your best FWD with 4 best winters on rollers at driving wheels and prepared to be laughed at.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Subaru's AWD system biggest weakness if the CVT attached to it. CVT's and AWD are not a good mix for when things get sketchy and the CVT gives up sending no power to the drivetrain.

The only instance of that happening that I've heard of was due to a defective belt in the CVT which broke when the driver tried to get the car out of a bad spot while driving off-road.

Great post!

I had a 2005 Rav that was great in snow and rain.

Monday I bought a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe SEL Plus AWD so no traction feedback yet. I believe this is similar to the 2017, 2018. Any feedback on these traction system?

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648

I had a 2005 Rav that was great in snow and rain.

V6 model? I could see the 3.5L/V6 needing AWD.

Originally Posted by emg

The only instance of that happening that I've heard of was due to a defective belt in the CVT which broke when the driver tried to get the car out of a bad spot while driving off-road.

CVT's don't allow as much torque or wheel spin like the previous 4eat transmissions in Subaru's. Makes absolutely no difference in 98% of driving but the 1-2% time you get in really tough conditions the Subaru AWD with CVT is lessor then previous Subaru AWD/4eat (automatic). I presume other CVT's are similar not allowing as much wheel spin and torque to prevent destruction.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
IMO, you can't beat Subaru AWD for the hoi polloi. Audi quattro is good as well.

The AWD used on the GC and Durango is also excellent.

The Charger/Challenger/300 also have good awd systems.

Subaru AWD wins because from vehicle core it is designed to be AWD from the get go/core down to driveline layout etc. All its direct competition is FWD driveline with tacked on AWD.

Originally Posted by emg

TFLcar has videos of Subaru CVT's giving up as well as the Nissan Pathfinder CVT giving up.

Subaru didn't like the negative press by TFL, so they banned them from receiving Subaru product to review.... so they went out and bought their own Outback as a test vehicle. But Andre does have his own Outback, which was used in a recent TFLcar snow tire test.

The other problem with Subaru AWD is its marketing was too effective, which made many Subaru owners believe they don't need snow tires in the winter, because of the control Symmetrical AWD gives, so many end up in an accident.

Last edited:
I know a ton of CR-V owners and they all love'm. They're a huge seller in my area(as well as in the US) and people drive them forever and buy another. Which is to say that, many are only on their 1st or 2nd one considering the CR-V has been on the market for ~23 years.

I think that the CR-V is(statistically) one of Honda's most reliable vehicles. IIRC, the Civic & CR-V take the cake when it comes to Honda reliability even more so than the Accord.

Originally Posted by emg

TFLcar has videos of Subaru CVT's giving up as well as the Nissan Pathfinder CVT giving up.

Subaru didn't like the negative press by TFL, so they banned them from receiving Subaru product to review.... so they went out and bought their own Outback as a test vehicle. But Andre does have his own Outback, which was used in a recent TFLcar snow tire test.

The other problem with Subaru AWD is its marketing was too effective, which made many Subaru owners believe they don't need snow tires in the winter, because of the control Symmetrical AWD gives, so many end up in an accident.

Take into consideration that Subaru they bought AGAIN had issues going through third stage of that off road course, where cars like RAV4, BMW X3, VW Atlas etc. went through with no sweat. Only when they moved camera not to show front end and that right front wheel is not in the air (they cheated), Outback barely made it.
TFL had to satisfy their own customers as every time Subaru fails test, there is 10,000 comments that they do not know how to drive (and there are valid questions about their methodology and knowledge, like statement that Audi Q7 and VW Atlas share platforms).
Subaru marketing comes to: if you do not want your family and you to die in miserable death, buy Subaru. KGB would envy their marketing.

Last edited:
Yup, not great. Better than nothing maybe, thing is it may be better in dynamic use. I remember driving in bad conditions in Vermont, worked somewhat, reallly burned the rear brakes too.

These things are really for folks who for some reason aren't sure of their masculinity, and/or think that they'll look younger than their parents by driving one of these versus a minivan or station wagon. The AWD is just a sales ploy for implied ruggedness.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Subaru marketing comes to: if you do not want your family and you to die in miserable death, buy Subaru. KGB would envy their marketing.

Pot call the kettle black. That's the sales intent of any AWD car based vehicle. It's so funny that people are afraid of the stigma of other vehicle types, so they have to look cool in their rugged car based SUVs, and think that AWD gives it legitimacy. Then it's sold on the basis of safety because you can't get the kids home safely from the grocery store in the snow without AWD. Doing so will almost guarantee death.

Interesting results, would have hoped for more from Honda and Mazda with their reputations. In real life the Subaru's vary, most of the ones with manual transmissions are excellent in snow but the auto's leave a lot to be desired. My 08 Outback 3.0 LL Bean with Pirelli winter tires could not go through half of the winter weather my G37x sedan with BFG Comp2 A/S's will which in a word is just sad.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Yup, not great. Better than nothing maybe, thing is it may be better in dynamic use. I remember driving in bad conditions in Vermont, worked somewhat, reallly burned the rear brakes too.

These things are really for folks who for some reason aren't sure of their masculinity, and/or think that they'll look younger than their parents by driving one of these versus a minivan or station wagon. The AWD is just a sales ploy for implied ruggedness.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Pot call the kettle black. That's the sales intent of any AWD car based vehicle. It's so funny that people are afraid of the stigma of other vehicle types, so they have to look cool in their rugged car based SUVs, and think that AWD gives it legitimacy. Then it's sold on the basis of safety because you can't get the kids home safely from the grocery store in the snow without AWD. Doing so will almost guarantee death.

I was actually referring to their commercials like this:

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

The AWD used on the GC and Durango is also excellent.

I think Mopar worked with Magna on those, seeing how the GC does have some common roots with the Mercedes ML.

Marketing is a interesting thing. It can give one confidence in something that in itself can be a scourge.

No matter if a vehicle has awd or not, the weather conditions, the tires and the experience of the driver all add up to a safe drive. One can drive the "best" Subaru or whatever but if the tires are not good it won't matter. I've seen plenty of Subies and VW vehicles stuck in bad conditions along with the rest.

I like having the awd. In many cases it has helped me to avoid accidents. When the snow hits in my region it's like paying bumper pool. This past winter was no exception. A good friend has a new CRV and she got around just fine.

Marketing is fine, sells cars. Without the incredible AWD Subaru does not have much over competitors which slowly figuring out the niche Subaru took 10-20 years ago.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Marketing is fine, sells cars. Without the incredible AWD Subaru does not have much over competitors which slowly figuring out the niche Subaru took 10-20 years ago.

I didn't realize this was a Subaru chest beater cock of the walk thread. I'll leave you all to it then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back