is coolant and brake fluid the most neglected fluid?

For me it’s my Blinker fluid. But I’ve reached the age where I only make right turns so my left turn blinker reservoir can go longer between fluid changes.
That probably explains all those BMW drivers who eschew turn signals entirely.... They must be trying to conserve their blinker fluid! Makes sense too since I am sure the BMW fluid is expensive!

Well modern fluids last longer than decades ago. Modern coolant lasts much longer than ole green. The power steering system typically has no real wear surfaces like an automatic transmission.

Lots of oils (motor oil and gear oils) are synthetic.

I doubt too many people have a problem with the power steering due to lack of PS fluid change. If any.

That probably explains all those BMW drivers who eschew turn signals entirely.... They must be trying to conserve their blinker fluid! Makes sense too since I am sure the BMW fluid is expensive!
It's counter intuitive. Pre 2014? BMWs had no detents in the turn signals (nor wipers nor cruise). A great design. Maybe it's the 2014+ BMWs you're noticing since the turn signal stalks became like everyone else's.

No detents for the controls is one of my favorite BMW features. That's why it was a rite of passage. A person gets their first BMW. When they change lanes, you see it blink left. After they've changed lanes to their left, it blinks right. Because they were not used to a turn signal where you tap to signal, and tap the same direction to cancel, all the while having no detent. Pure genius engineering. But we can't have that in 2024 it's too complicated for Americans hahaha

I think most people just change the engine oil and never mess with any of the other fluids, opinions?
I would say clutch fluid may top brake fluid for not being done. I've never messed with the clutch fluid on my BMW. I've seen online where forum members had disappointing results where suddenly the clutch is soft no matter what they do, and the amount of fluid is very small (BMW uses the same for brake and clutch, there is not a separate reservoir as far as I know).

So even though I must have done at least 4 brake flushes on my car, I've never done the clutch.

If I'm not mistaken, Honda recommends 3 years, when most recommend 2. Again, arbitrary, even though we all know it absorbs water.

I've never changed the acid in a car battery. Probably won't ever do it.

Regards,
John

Back