is coolant and brake fluid the most neglected fluid?

Easily differential gear oil.
This. So much so that VW had to look up how to do it when I brought my car in. I have a 2018 with 50k miles and so far it's had spark plugs, trans fluid change/filter, coolant flush, x2 brake fluid flush, and now differential service. I like my stuff to last a long time and be reliable doing it. Normally I'd do it myself, but my schedule doesn't give me much downtime. They're quick, efficient, and worth the price with that all considered.

I feel like vehicle maintenance has suffered in the name of lifetime fills per the manufacturer to make cars look cheaper to maintain than they actually are. While lifetime fills are likely good for 100k miles, many are taking cars to 200k+ miles and most of these components are not lasting this long. That's not to say the fluid is always the problem, but I'm sure it doesn't help.

Not helped by marketing departments that want to claim 'low cost of ownership' and stretch the fluids out to their max so they don't need changed in 100,000 miles.
Another factor too, is the perception that if an auto manufacturer recommends brake fluid change, then the brake system must be inferior to the other brands, that don't recommend brake fluid change. So why would an auto manufacturer bring that added attention to their brand?

Not helped by marketing departments that want to claim 'low cost of ownership' and stretch the fluids out to their max so they don't need changed in 100,000 miles.

This is it exactly. Owners like to be told anything that makes them agree to less maintenance. "Lifetime transmission fluid". "100,000 mile coolant". And, "15,000 mile oil changes", all play into this type of easy to agree with thinking.

If they want something, regardless if it's a high dollar vehicle they don't need, and can't afford, and will have to finance it for 8 years. Or not having to change a fluid because someone at the dealership told them it's good until the Sun goes into supernova, they'll go for it.

People will always agree with someone, (most anyone), that tells them what they want to hear..... From politics to religion, to oil changes.

This is it exactly. Owners like to be told anything that makes them agree to less maintenance. "Lifetime transmission fluid". "100,000 mile coolant". And, "15,000 mile oil changes", all play into this type of easy to agree with thinking.

If they want something, regardless if it's a high dollar vehicle they don't need, and can't afford, and will have to finance it for 8 years. Or not having to change a fluid because someone at the dealership told them it's good until the Sun goes into supernova, they'll go for it.

People will always agree with someone, (most anyone), that tells them what they want to hear..... From politics to religion, to oil changes.

Agree.

The flip side to it, in my opinion, is that those demands have driven some technologies forward quite a bit. Today's coolants are quite a bit better than old ones, and we have some pretty spiffy synthetic lubes these days. So, it's not all bad and the educated consumer can pick and choose what to do in order to make their vehicle really go the distance if they pay attention.

Most people are only concerned about the Oil & Filter
Or if their mechanic suggests that another be changed (after it's been neglected)

I was guilty of neglecting fluid changes until I found BITOG and its members.
I bought my current vehicle and consider having a schedule to change ALL the fluids the most important maintenance I can do.

I think many people neglect transmission fluid until they have an issue.

Differential fluid probably never gets changed because you can often run a long time without noticeable issues.

Earlier this year I changed the MT and differential fluids on one of my vehicles and picked up 1MPG.

I think many people neglect transmission fluid until they have an issue.
I think that's where a lot of the 'leave the oil trans fluid in there or it will fail' comes from.

People notice their trans doing something odd and think 'maybe I should change the fluid', change it, and the trans proceeds to grenade, which is was already on its way to doing before the fluid. But now the people think 'I changed the fluid and it broke, must be the fluids fault'.

The brake fluid in my truck when I got it looked like coca cola with chunks in it. The diff fluid was low. The Manual transmission called for ATF. It looked like used motor oil. Can't remember what the power steering fluid looked like.

Every fluid is neglected. Had a coworker with a Cobalt who said oil never wears out, just change the filter and top off. It blew up at 45k miles, but it had a good filter on it. o_O And was PO 'ed when warranty was denied. He wouldn't admit to the obvious sludge that the dealer more than likely told him was the reason, but I know better.

Most people don't keep there new cars much past 100K. So there not going to spend any money. I likely would not either if I knew for sure it was gone at 100K.

Most people buying cars at 100K assume the dealer or previous owner did it.

So it never gets done.

Not to mention dealers want outlandish prices to change simple things like diff fluid. I asked the dealer when my Xterra was new - so maybe 2010. They wanted $140 per axle + about the same for the transfer case. All 3 are a drain plug, a fill plug, and a couple quarts in between. I can do all 3 in an hour for less than $50, but at the dealer with shop fees and tax, etc - it was over $600 a decade ago.

My two cents is over a decade ago, so my opinion may be worth what BITOG is paying for it, but....One of the first jobs my son had was as a "porter" at a new car dealership. I will be completely honest and reveal that he only got the job because the couple who owned the dealership knew my wife at church....On with my story. The "porter" did NOT clean toilets and empty trash cans, they had a janitor for that.
My son and the service manager were the first two at the dealership in the am; the service manager knew which mechanic was good at what; they had a good electrical guy, a good transmission guy, an oil change guy, you get the picture. The service manager would go thru the night drop-off of keys and service requests, and give my son the keys....go find this car and move it in front of Mike's bay, put this one in Kevin's bay, etc., when the $45 an hour Union mechanics start in the am, vehicles are positioned in front of their bays for them to work on.....LESS THAN 1% of vehicles came in for fluid service of anything other than oil. This is not my son's tracking, it is the Service Manager's tracking. I'm not saying other fluids weren't maintained at all, but it DIDN'T HAPPEN at the dealer. I BITOG maintain my vehicles, I can tell you when the wiper blades (PIAA) were last replaced on 5 vehicles. My two cents.

Half the people I talk to only know about oil and coolant
They don't know what transmission fluid is, much less differential fluid. Some of them know enough to top off the brakes fluid when the reservoir is low, but they just throw some oil in there. The amount of minivans I work on that have just enough coolant to not overheat is astounding, people don't care until they can't drive it anymore.

For me it’s my Blinker fluid. But I’ve reached the age where I only make right turns so my left turn blinker reservoir can go longer between fluid changes.

Back