Is Amsoil still up there for gear oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zeng
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-110 in the front axle and 75W-140 in the rear of my Powerstroke. You can search the UOAs for my old 2010 FX4, it is good oil--arguably the best on the market.
Whilst Amsoil SG may be the 'best' , it's the thicker viscosity grade in 110 and 140 that really matters , IMHO.
Perhaps, but 75W-110 is the viscosity the upper range of 75W-90 used to be before the J306 tables were updated. For me, I would choose ASG over any of the others, but that is just me.

FWIW I am generally not a fan of Amsoil, but I have had it in the differential of my Mustang since 5K miles. Not sure if it is the way I drive or the Amsoil, but almost every other Mustang GT we service has had rear end work where mine has had none.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Speaking for myself, I believe Pablo might be indicating you are casting doubt on the GL5ness of the oil based on a measured concentration of 1 additive.

Did you read Molakules post above; he formulated and sold his own gear lubricants at one time.

This. This right here.

Thanks.

Even if you find Amsoil expensive, typically it will last at LEAST 50k, if not 100k once you get past break in so the cost difference really is negligible.
Only reason I use Schaeffers, is I can get it two blocks from my house, instead of having to wait for an Amsoil order to come in.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
FWIW I am generally not a fan of Amsoil, but I have had it in the differential of my Mustang since 5K miles. Not sure if it is the way I drive or the Amsoil, but almost every other Mustang GT we service has had rear end work where mine has had none.

Now THIS is an analysis I can believe in!

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
Trends and discovery change often. Chemicals and formulas do as well.

Its time for my front and rear diff fluids to be changed out. In the past i normally go Mobil1 for 30-50k. I'm thinking this time around since i dont tow or anything to run Amsoil SVG and be done with the fluids for 75k.

Looks like 3qts of SVG 75w90 is going to run me about $50 after tax/shipping. Mobil i can grab for $25-30.

Is Amsoil still one of the Top Tiers?

I think so. Amsoil, Redline and Schaeffers. Alphabetical order. I'm using Amsoil and Schaeffers at present and will be for between 20-40K miles at least in my fleet.

I'd been draining mineral Shell/Castrol 8xW90 GL5 at 25k miles whilst it's color is still goldenish.
Currently is pushing it further 30k miles or more.

It depends who you ask.
wink.gif
j/k I've never heard anything bad about it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It depends who you ask.
wink.gif

I thought we were going to have to have a talk you and me.
lol.gif
J/K

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
It depends who you ask.
wink.gif

I thought we were going to have to have a talk you and me.
lol.gif
J/K

We can talk, although this area our opinions will differ. It's all good though!
cheers3.gif

Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-110 in the front axle and 75W-140 in the rear of my Powerstroke. You can search the UOAs for my old 2010 FX4, it is good oil--arguably the best on the market.
Whilst Amsoil SG may be the 'best' , it's the thicker viscosity grade in 110 and 140 that really matters , IMHO.
Perhaps, but 75W-110 is the viscosity the upper range of 75W-90 used to be before the J306 tables were updated. For me, I would choose ASG over any of the others, but that is just me.

In the second millennium, SAE90 monograde were of ISO 150 (AGMA 4 ) grades to ISO 320 (AGMA 6) grades with KV @40*c viscosity ranging from 150 to 320 cSt.
However its multigrade in (Group 1) 80W90 used to have high VII's and poor shear-stability then.

Current day 75W90 typically doesn't meet the old xW90 KV @40*C range, though KV @40*C 140 cSt of Amsoil 75W110 fits in.
JMHO.

In the second millennium, SAE90 monograde were of ISO 150 (AGMA 4 ) grades to ISO 320 (AGMA 6) grades with KV @40*c viscosity ranging from 150 to 320 cSt. However its multigrade in (Group 1) 80W90 used to have high VII's and poor shear-stability then. Current day 75W90 typically doesn't meet the old xW90 KV @40*C range, though KV @40*C 140 cSt of Amsoil 75W110 fits in.
JMHO.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Even if you find Amsoil expensive, typically it will last at LEAST 50k, if not 100k once you get past break in so the cost difference really is negligible.
Only reason I use Schaeffers, is I can get it two blocks from my house, instead of having to wait for an Amsoil order to come in.

That’s where I am on Delvac 1 … was running M1 for 2 years … but will use D1 for 3 years for the G80, M1 in front, RL MTL in Xfer case …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back