Is a weekly long drive enough to entirely counteract short-trip issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say 30-45 min dully warmed up at 55mph. Is this enough to prevent acidification, excessive water buildup, fuel dilution, etc. Especially in the winter?

I'd argue yes. My evidence is a large number of vehicles my parents have owned that have been used exactly that way over the last 35 years.

As short as five blocks, up to maybe 10 miles for commute, then 150 miles of mostly interstate on the weekend, and cars lasting 200k or more.

It might be … when the oil flipped early in the Pentastar … it was not getting a good weekend run after the short trips.
Downside of multiple vehicles …

Entirely counteract short trips, I don't think so. Oil gets degraded quicker when water and/or gas is present. So even if they are totally removed by a long drive, the oil will not just go back to the condition as if water and gas were never present.

Hence a shorter OCI is prudent.

The oil will lose its serviceability sooner due to the presence of moisture, fuel and acids.

Although the longer trips will reduce the degradation, the oil will indeed degrade faster. That doesn't mean more wear or shorter engine life, it means the oil will need a shorter service interval than of all the trips allowed the oil to warm up completely.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Entirely counteract short trips, I don't think so. Oil gets degraded quicker when water and/or gas is present. So even if they are totally removed by a long drive, the oil will not just go back to the condition as if water and gas were never present.

Hence a shorter OCI is prudent.

So in essence you're saying the damage is done to the lube. Guess I would have to agree with that. Whatever amount of degradation is done up till that point is irreversible. Makes sense.

If we're talking about a drive that's just down the block, I would just change the oil every 3 months. Take it on a long drive once or twice a month to prevent carbon buildup.

Way more than enough. Just that every two weeks is enough.

I've had multiple cars and bikes in both Northern new England and Seattle - both very wet and either very cold and mild. I have cars back to '91 (still have) with no damage from short tripping as long as they were hot once every other week. Modern oils are NO WHERE near as unstable as just a decade or two ago, also. Relax (or so Frankie said...)

For starters, do you know for a fact that fuel dilution is a problem with respect to your typical oci and the oil you're using?

If in fact you have a bona fide problem, maybe I'd first try using a thicker oil at a service schedule, if a UOA showed dilution. For example a 12cSt 100kv v. a thin 9.3cSt Xw30 for 4 or 5k miles....While driving it for a stretch is the usual recommendation to burn some fuel off, that practice doesn't come without potential downsides - wear/tear, risk of a tire blow out or an accident or the cost of the fuel spent just driving around.

Originally Posted by jqgz
Say 30-45 min fully warmed up at 55mph. Is this enough to prevent acidification, excessive water buildup, fuel dilution, etc. Especially in the winter?

It certainly doesn't hurt.

Besides - - oil related or not, it helps the whole car to take it on a long trip once in a while...... short tripping is just tough overall.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
For starters, do you know for a fact that fuel dilution is a problem with respect to your typical oci and the oil you're using?

I agree just based on my two vehicles. I don't believe my Lucerne has an issue with fuel dilution but my Sierra does, I can smell it and see an increase reading on the dip stick, it will gain 1/4 inch over winter.

Say 30-45 min dully warmed up at 55mph. Is this enough to prevent acidification, excessive water buildup, fuel dilution, etc. Especially in the winter?

I know what youre saying and youre thinking on the right lines, but its not about the length of time at 55mph, its the length of time your oil is hot. If you have an oil temp gauge, monitor it. If you have a manual, hold 3rd or 4th to keep the revs up and get more heat into the oil. Switch on as many electrical consumers as possible to place more load in the crank via the alternator. Really load it up and get it hot to clear out all the fuel and water.
But even then youre only delaying the inevitable.

Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
The oil will lose its serviceability sooner due to the presence of moisture, fuel and acids.

Although the longer trips will reduce the degradation, the oil will indeed degrade faster. That doesn't mean more wear or shorter engine life, it means the oil will need a shorter service interval than of all the trips allowed the oil to warm up completely.

That's how I view it.

Say 30-45 min dully warmed up at 55mph. Is this enough to prevent ... fuel dilution, etc. Especially in the winter?

In any of the multiple cars I have owned and tested, even long road trips (200 miles +) did not eliminate the fuel dilution that existed prior to the road trip (per before/after UOAs). The road trip only minimally mitigated the dilution.

A more frequent oil change interval would be more effective and easier to monitor. Like every 3,000 miles for example.

Originally Posted by LotI
It takes 20 minutes to reach operating temperature in the winter in NY, so add that to your 45 minutes.

Why does he have to add 20 to 45 @ 55MPH?

What's not mentioned here is the need to put that accelerator down to the floor short-term, once in a while. Especially beneficial to piston / carbon issues.
So Grandpa and Grandma! Don't always (100%) baby that TDGI / GDI. Smile at that souped-up Charger Hellcat driver, as you pass it by short-distance (of course), in your Chevy Equinox, Kia Sorrento......etc......lol

Last edited:
My first UOA of my GMC's L83 with a 20 mile back roads commute and some road trips thrown in doesn't look much better than the subsequent two with a commute where the temp gauge doesn't even hit 210 before I shut the key off- except fuel dilution and viscosity breakdown. I'm doing 5K oil changes now and for the next one I'm bumping up to 5W30 to see if it changes anything.

I don't think it can "entirely counteract" the short trips. I don't know your miles but I'd shorten my OCI to 3K and/or at least change the oil and filter every 6 months. Whichever comes first.

I've been curious about this. I live in an area where everything is within a 2.5 mile radius. And my job is only 7 miles. I take the long way to work which puts me at around 10 miles, which is still not ideal. I try and make up for it on the weekends. I still believe in shorter oil change intervals if you're doing severe service. Oil is not expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back