Sanborn Full Synthetic & All Weather Compressor Oils

Hello all,

It's a pleasure to find this site, especially since I've been pulling my hair out (what's left of it) trying to determine the best oil for my Yong Heng high pressure compressor which makes 4500psi. No matter which oil I try it all gets dirty very quickly. The crank case is a splash style with the low pressure and high-pressure pistons directly above. The manufacturer suggests not running it hotter than 55 degrees Celsius (131F). These compressors get really hot really fast. They are water cooled. I use a bucket filled with ice.

While in Menards the other day I stumbled upon the Sanborn oil, but the viscosity is not labeled and nowhere to be found online. I tested the 'All Weather' and the compressor reached 121F in 6 minutes.

So - long story short. Does anyone know the weight of these two oils?

Thanks in advance - John.

4500 PSI? What needs that kind of pressure. 121F seems reasonable, even cool for a working compressor. Standard compressor oil is nothing special, Sanborn, Quincy, IR...sell their own labeled oil. It should stay clean a long time. Not sure why yours is dirtying up.

4500 PSI? What needs that kind of pressure. 121F seems reasonable, even cool for a working compressor. Standard compressor oil is nothing special, Sanborn, Quincy, IR...sell their own labeled oil. It should stay clean a long time. Not sure why yours is dirtying up.
My PCP (Pre Charged Pneumatic) pellet rifle holds 4350psi.

John

Do you have some sort of storage system for the 4500psi air like a tank? Do you have a means of dewatering the air? What is the design of this to make such high pressure? The heat around the sealing surfaces (rings) if it is a piston pump must be incredible. Maybe so hot it is burning down the oil. I would look for a Group V oil designed for the highest temperature application available. Something used in jet engines maybe. Be nice to know what the bearing surfaces are made of,( babbitt), or if it uses roller/ball bearings. Does the manufacturer sell oil? I know pressure washers can run that high but the medium being pressured, Water, is also used to cool. That oil is like straight 30 weight engine oil, nothing fancy.

Do you have some sort of storage system for the 4500psi air like a tank? Do you have a means of dewatering the air? What is the design of this to make such high pressure? The heat around the sealing surfaces (rings) if it is a piston pump must be incredible. Maybe so hot it is burning down the oil. I would look for a Group V oil designed for the highest temperature application available. Something used in jet engines maybe. Be nice to know what the bearing surfaces are made of,( babbitt), or if it uses roller/ball bearings. Does the manufacturer sell oil? I know pressure washers can run that high but the medium being pressured, Water, is also used to cool. That oil is like straight 30 weight engine oil, nothing fancy.
I either fill my rifle directly from the compressor -or - fill a 60 minute SCBA tank and then refill my rifle from there. There is a water filter at the end of compressor fill hose.

Yes! The top end (high pressure portion) of the compressor gets extremely hot. It'll melt flesh.

John

I'm searching for Group V oil now.

John

I would use exactly what he compressor manufacturer recommends rather than supposing jet engine oil is superior.

Didn’t you get an answer in the other thread you started?

The label says "viscosity index VI", but I have no idea how that translates to the weight of the oil. I've searched everywhere.

John

Back