Iron skillet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Curious how you guys are cleaning and storing your cast iron pans?

I clean them only with hot water and if something sticks, you can use salt. I never use soap. I dry them and coat them with a bit of oil.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I've tried to go with cast iron but I could never get the seasoning process right.

Take the pan and clean it well. Rub unsalted butter all over it and heat it on your gas grill slowly to about 450 or so. Let it sit there an hour or so, then let it cool all the way down. Next cook so sausage in it. Don't worry if it sticks a bit. After you are done cooking the sausage, scrape anything that stuck but leave the fat in there. Put rub some of the sausage grease all over the pan and handle. Heat the pan on your grill until its smoking, almost burning the fat. After 30 minutes or so, let it cool completely. Pour/wipe out the fat, rinse with hot water and wipe down with oil. Every use will help it. Cook high fat foods for a while( sausage/bacon etc) until you get a good seasoning.

After its seasoned, never use soap, just hot water, maybe a bit of salt. Make sure its good and warm before you put food to cook in it.

You should have no problems after that.

To clean, when it's hot, under hot water with a scrub pad, air dry in seconds.

Mother used one in 50s, I have 5. Best is a skillet, not a frying pan.

Makes the best eggs, crepes, pancakes, fajitas, pizza, flatbread, focacio bread, goes from stove to oven for steaks and chops.

Originally Posted By: fonecord2

My collection

Great collection! Man i don't have room for that much!

I like the skillet with lid at my 6:00 in the pic.

Yes, we just got an iron skillet about 6 months ago and are enjoying it. My mom is from the south and as kids she used one a lot. Kept a jar of bacon grease to use in it.

Yes, we just got an iron skillet about 6 months ago and are enjoying it. My mom is from the south and as kids she used one a lot. Kept a jar of bacon grease to use in it.

Originally Posted By: Fitter30
Hot water and chainmail scrubber, heat pan while it's hot rub it with canola oil and let it cool rub excess oil off with paper towel, put it up.

This is the same method I use works great and I never have any seasoning issues with my cast iron, 4 fry pans, 1 Dutch oven and 1 flat round baking sheet.
TOTO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I've tried to go with cast iron but I could never get the seasoning process right.

Build a fire outside with oak. Grease/Crisco the skillet/dutch oven/flat plate, and set it in the fire. Sit back and watch it get seasoned. Let it cool, wipe it down with a greased cloth, wipe it with a clean cloth. Use. OR,
Wash it, dry it, place a foil lined pan in a 375* oven, wipe the pan/skillet/dutch oven/flat plate with cooking oil/Crisco, bake for an hour, let cool off then use.
My grandmother showed me these 2 methods. But, this is Louisiana and we do things different here.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
I scrape them, wipe them down with paper towels, then spray with cooking spray.
Originally Posted By: spasm3

I clean them only with hot water and if something sticks, you can use salt. I never use soap. I dry them and coat them with a bit of oil.

Thanks guys, that's what I'm trying to do with them but a family member insists on using soap on them and I'm concerned about the soap actually contaminating the pans seasoning rather than cleaning it. Seems like every time I need to use the pan I have to 'burn it out' and re-oil it
frown.gif

My mother recently gave it to me. It's been in the family for 100 years!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gman2304
I scrape them, wipe them down with paper towels, then spray with cooking spray.
Originally Posted By: spasm3

Thanks guys, that's what I'm trying to do with them but a family member insists on using soap on them and I'm concerned about the soap actually contaminating the pans seasoning rather than cleaning it. Seems like every time I need to use the pan I have to 'burn it out' and re-oil it
frown.gif

The soap is removing your hard earned seasoning layer of cooked on fat. Tell them to stop using it or take it away from them and don’t let them clean it-aka ruining it.

Soap prohibition for cast iron is a myth. A polymerized coating on cast iron will not be removed by using soap. I don't generally have to use soap in mine, but have on occasion. Does not hurt an actual polymerized (seasoned) surface. Do a little research. My iron skillet is no family heirloom. It's a Lodge from Walmart purchased around 1990.

I only need hot water and a couple of paper towels to clean my non-stick skillet. I don't cook everything in a single type of pan.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Over my father in laws the other day around noon and he says he is making some homemade hamburgers for lunch. I was like ok sounds good then he whips out an old iron skillet! And I was like O boy this can't be good! .. I was wrong! Best tasting burgers I have ever had I had two of them! The old Iron skillet made them taste fantastic they had a unique flavor. Anyone here use one?
Wow...you've been missing out. I grew up eating griddle burgers & paddy melts. Commercial fast-food pales in comparison.

I have a few different size Lodge cast iron pans and a cast iron pizza pan. They all cook great. I especially like the pizza pan.
Cast iron wok is next on the list.

Curious how you guys are cleaning and storing your cast iron pans?

For cleaning after use (cook my fish in Lodge cast iron all the time), rinse in warm water and then rub a cleaning chain across it, then wipe with paper towels until mostly clean and not much more brown coming off. Then store anywhere. Do not use soap or a brush, or the seasoning will get messed up and you will have to re-season. Will try to post a pix of a cleaning chain.

Last edited:
Cast iron makes the best cooking skillets and motor blocks!
My small cast iron skillet has a glaze that will make a fried egg slide around like a hockey puck on ice.
Seasoned it with Mobil 1 when new, never changed the oil again ( a joke, do not really do that! )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back