A surprisingly Good Meal at Applebee's

Hermann

Site Donor 2023
On our errand journey we went in and had a late lunch. Karen wanted to go there for her Chicken Asian Won Ton Tacos. She said they were real good. I had their version of a classic burger. It was fantastic. Cooked done but still juicy. Fresh toppings and the food came out HOT. God that makes such a difference. Well that is four in a row good meals out. I had the same everywhere. Chili's was good, Culvers was good, Cheddars was excellent, and now Applebee's was fantastic. One thing I noticed at all four, the Managing Partners were all walking around asking for comment and just being friendly. Also keeps the staff on their toes. I tipped $3.51 on a $12.49 bill. Applebee's burger was the best. All four were at least very good.

Last edited:
Only one of your four choices that I have been to was Applebee's. It was good enough, but can't compare to the rest.

Can barely eat at McDonalds for $12.49 anymore. Prices are getting crazy these days. Even food at the grocery store to cook yourself at home.

On our errand journey we went in and had a late lunch. Karen wanted to go there for her Chicken Asian Won Ton Tacos. She said they were real good. I had their version of a classic burger...
One thing I noticed at all four, the Managing Partners were all walking around asking for comment and just being friendly. Also keeps the staff on their toes. I tipped $3.51 on a $12.49 bill. Applebee's burger was the best. All four were at least very good.
How in the world did you get two meals at Applebee''s for $12.49??? Around here, Applebees charges $12.99 + tax for a single classic hamburger.

How in the world did you get two meals at Applebee''s for $12.49??? Around here, Applebees charges $12.99 + tax for a single classic hamburger.
My burger and fries was priced at $11.49 + tax and I had water as I was sufficiently caffeinated and I don't have alcohol unless I'm not driving.

On our errand journey we went in and had a late lunch. Karen wanted to go there for her Chicken Asian Won Ton Tacos. She said they were real good. I had their version of a classic burger. It was fantastic. Cooked done but still juicy. Fresh toppings and the food came out HOT. God that makes such a difference. Well that is four in a row good meals out. I had the same everywhere. Chili's was good, Culvers was good, Cheddars was excellent, and now Applebee's was fantastic. One thing I noticed at all four, the Managing Partners were all walking around asking for comment and just being friendly. Also keeps the staff on their toes. I tipped $3.51 on a $12.49 bill. Applebee's burger was the best. All four were at least very good.
There is one 30 minutes from me - excellent burgers …

Around 12 bucks for a meal is a good price. I am lucky to get a slap in the face and some ice soup for that price.

Glad you had a nice meal. I like going out to eat.

Applebees is one of the few places my wife and I will eat (Texas Roadhouse is of course #1) but always have a decent meal for a great price. And we always get great service there as well. Applebees will always be a staple in this house :)

Reactions: hrv
reemoeMO: What year was Applebee's purchased by Dine Equity?

We dined once at an A-bee's in Virginia around 20 years ago and still talk about the green tinted chicken.
They totally made good on it in a fast and friendly fashion. We all know mistakes happen.

I'm quite willing to try it again.
NOTE: We live in a place with tons and tons of restaurants so A-bee's isn't on any kind of NOGO list per se. In other words, we see 'em when we're on the road and I'd happily include them among our restaurant possibilities.
Same goes for "Cracker Barrel" but I've never seen one at meal time without a long line; which speaks well of them, no?

Happy Hour is either half off or $5 for selected items. I've been to a variety of different locations and they each have different items available for Happy Hour.

My dad wanted to go to Applebee's to try their steak. It was dry and rubbery. If I want a casual dining steak, I'd go to Chili's or BJ's.

I would like it the opposite. I pay under $20, she pays over $20! ;)

But then again, I am retired and on a fixed income, like all the old badgers say.:ROFLMAO:
When we do out for special days, I usually save my Bank of America rewards for trips to nice places. That way neither of us pays. Just the MAN Moynahan.

Good to hear you had a good meal.

I still haven’t gone to Applebee’s yet.
Compared to the slop these places were serving during the pandemic, this was near gourmet. Things have improved around here. I hope others areas are improving also.

Compared to the slop these places were serving during the pandemic, this was near gourmet. Things have improved around here. I hope others areas are improving also.

I'd go to Applebee's sometimes and learned was was OK and what was horrible. I would never recommend a steak there. The meat has universally been dry even when cooked medium rare.

I like a lot of these fusion items. The chicken wonton tacos are actually quite good. Trying to remember what else I'd recommend. At Yard House (Darden Restaurants), they've got what they call "ahi poke nachos". It's cubed ahi tuna, avocado, fried wonton skins, and sauce, topped with little strips of nori (seaweed), green onions, cilantro, and jalapeños. Kind of a mix of Japanese, Chinese, Hawaiian, and Tex-Mex.

Poke-Nachos-590x365-06132019.jpg

That's good to hear you had some nice meals. My luck has not been very good in my area. Culver's is always really good though. I believe it helps when an owner or part owner is no the job all the time. It will keep the employees on their toes and doing a better job. About any fast food place or even a sit down restaurant is good if the food is very hot. There is nothing worse than lukewarm french fries and a cheeseburger that isn't even hot enough to melt the cheese.

AppleBees classic burgers are excellent, fries are a bit salty but it’s cheaper than a whopper meal at BK (which is barely edible).

Back