IPhone to Android

I have nothing against Android, I said it’s a mess because many Android phones are slow to get security updates, some if ever.
Not so much these days. I just got android 13 on my 3 year old lg v60, and lg isn't even selling phones since 2 years ago. Samsung's get 5 years of security updates now. Pixel's get 4 years security and operating system updates.

Not so much these days. I just got android 13 on my 3 year old lg v60, and lg isn't even selling phones since 2 years ago. Samsung's get 5 years of security updates now. Pixel's get 4 years security and operating system updates.
Good.

That's been needed for years. Is the update process still clumsy or are they direct from Google?

Latest Pixels get at least 3 years software updates, and 5 years security updates. After that, you can flash a custom ROM like Lineage that continues to support the phone for usually a few more years.

I have a Pixel 7, wife has a Pixel 7a and two daughters have iPhone 11 and the other daughter has an iPhone 13 Pro. I also have a Samsung A52 5G that is the family spare phone.

As for speed, unless you are gaming on your phone, any phone from the last couple years is more than fast enough for everyday tasks. The Samsung A52 5G that I have I don't see much difference in everyday use vs. the Pixel 7. It use to be quite the spread in performance from high end to midrange devices but that gap has pretty much disappeared for everyday use.

Really, they are all fantastic phones. My wife just got the Pixel 7a, and if I didn't know what it was I would be extremely hard pressed to see much difference between my 7 and her 7a.

I've only had Blackberry or Android. I'm so use to Android, plus I like to tinker with them and Apple doesn't let you tinker. Other than that, I'm not really a fanboi of either platform, they both have their pros and cons.

The biggest issue with Android is picking a manufacturer that is timely with updates, and that will support the phone for more than a year or two. That leaves you with Google or Samsung.

Greetings All-
I'm getting fed up with Apple iPhone cost. Allegedly, the soon to be released 15 will cost $200 more. I'm thinking of getting an android based device like Motorola or Pixel. Is it difficult to transfer photos, use Facetime, etc? Apple is great- no bloatware, secure, long term OS upgrades and security updates and it always works. But $1200-$1500?
Motorola phones aren't exactly the latest and greatest iphone competitors. Samsung Galaxy S-series fills that void.

Motorola does have the Android "One" phones, which have the Android software without the bloatware.

Facetime is a Apple App. So, Apple users will have to initiate calls with Android users.

Motorola phones aren't exactly the latest and greatest iphone competitors. Samsung Galaxy S-series fills that void.

Motorola does have the Android "One" phones, which have the Android software without the bloatware.

Facetime is a Apple App. So, Apple users will have to initiate calls with Android users.

That's a step in the right direction.

I didn't realize that they were able to join Facetime calls.

Android One is dead.

There is no way to Facetime from an iPhone to Android. You would use another app like WhatsApp.

Curious why would Facetime be a "requirement"? It's just one of many video chat apps across multiple platforms. I've never used it, maybe there's something unique?
If most/all of a family is in the Apple ecosystem, telling the rest of the family that I want to be different so you need to go install xyz app and setup an account for it. It's not across multiple platforms, it's only available on Apple devices.

Not guaranteed to be well received because it all comes back to Apple stuff plays really, really nice with Apple stuff.
Excellent reply. Apple makes things easy and the best part is, it all works effortlessly. I think some in here forget our friends and family are not all tech savvy and last thing they want to do is figure out downloading something to make something compatible with something that someone has *LOL*
Another big plus among family is Apple text messaging. Good god you can send full screen videos that you take with your phone in a text message, send the same video to an Android user and they need a magnifying glass to see the image.

Well, I learned something new today!

Not the same thing.
Extra steps for Android family members and only to join in by opening a web browser and being sent a link vs thoughtless simple Apple to Apple FaceTime calling which Apple to Apple FaceTime is exactly the same as placing a phone call. You can call an Apple user with a phone call or FaceTime, same exact thing by dialing a phone number. No links, no browsers, nothing extra

Been a Motorola guy since the Star-Tac, presently rock a Moto G6 power via the total wireless plan. Wife and Daughter have I-phones, Son and me have droids. 4 lines with unlimited everything is 105 bucks/mo on total, total bill, runs on Verizon network.
Last weekend, I didn't charger my MG6 power for 3 days, still had 35%, I use it plenty but I don't game on it and I keep the screen brightness on full blast all the time.

you can send full screen videos that you take with your phone in a text message, send the same video to an Android user and they need a magnifying glass to see the image.
Android users easily share full resolution video among each other, and can easily share them to Apple users too. As your link made clear, Apple chooses not to provide a compatible standard. That's one difference between an open ecosystem and a closed one.

Android users easily share full resolution video among each other, and can easily share them to Apple users too. As your link made clear, Apple chooses not to provide a compatible standard. That's one difference between an open ecosystem and a closed one.

Exactly, I don't understand how anyone can say Apple makes things easy when they actively make things more difficult.

Exactly, I don't understand how anyone can say Apple makes things easy when they actively make things more difficult.
Yup, point to point vids that I-phone family members send me look like they were filmed with a potato when viewed on my droid phone (worse than the Bob Gemlin Patty 8mm film) but look fine on other family i-phones, meanwhile the droid vids look fine across all platforms.

Well, I learned something new today!
What standard text app comes with all Android phones that allows you to text full video’s to Android and Apple users?
Answer = none
I do admit I like the exclusive Apple eco system and why we pay for all Apple in our home as well as every family member across the country but I’m curious as to your answer to my above question as far as you saying anyone can text me a high quality full screen video from any Android phone?
I already know what your answer is going to be, no, an android user cannot text a high resolution full screen video to an Apple user

I noticed your use of the word “share” void of the word text. Anyone with any operating system, Apple, or android can share a good quality video my specific post was about texting videos which Apple users can easily text full size high quality video to each other using the standard Apple text messaging.
This is a fantastic feature of Apple, if you want to share quick videos and snapshots among family members

Last edited:
I use Google Photos on my Samsung phone and get a link to the video that I send to iPhone users. They click the link and see a quality video. But, they always send me stupid iPhone videos directly that are almost impossible to make out. Stick with the ecosystem your family uses. You'll miss Facetime and everything being super easy to share. My family and almost everyone I know has iPhones, leaving me and my dad as the only Android users. Personally, I like to buy unlocked phones on sale then save lots of money on my phone plan. Google Fi currently has 4 lines for $80 a month. I'm on an older TMobile plan with unlimited data for two lines at $60 per month all taxes included. There are cheaper plans. Don't get tied into a contract on a phone!

Greetings All-
I'm getting fed up with Apple iPhone cost. Allegedly, the soon to be released 15 will cost $200 more. I'm thinking of getting an android based device like Motorola or Pixel. Is it difficult to transfer photos, use Facetime, etc? Apple is great- no bloatware, secure, long term OS upgrades and security updates and it always works. But $1200-$1500?
No smart consumer pays full price for a new iPhone; wait one month and get $250-800 off from any number of providers. On top of that, if you have a sub-4 year old iPhone, you probably have 30-60% of your initial purchase price left in resale value. If done right, you can have a brand new flagship iPhone Pro every two years for roughly $200-400 out of pocket depending on that years’ incentives. Flagship iPhone is generally cheaper than flagship Android over time.

Back