iPhone 5S question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
3 days is a bad number? You must never use your phone. I kill my battery every single day and it's an extended battery

I think I average about a text per week, and a phone call per month. I buy a 60min Tracphone card every 3 months; that triples out as their promo, so I have, at most, 60min talk, I think 60 texts (that's tx/rx, as it costs to receive), and 60MB of data. But as you might guess, I don't come close to using that.

Data doesn't work at home, so I rarely use it--the only time I've really used it was when I was at Disney and wanted to check emails during the day. I don't use the phone while driving (save the rare call from the wife, and I use hands-free BT in the car for that); and when I'm at work I have the WiFi to use with my iPad (but then again, I have dual 22" monitors at my disposal). I rarely shop, as I prefer to buy off Amazon.

Phone is just a toy to me. An iPad is more useful, but still: a toy. I would be using some $100 tablet if the wife hadn't taken pity on me and gotten me my iPad.

Got my 5S about 6 months ago for $200. It's a great phone if your not obsessed with a huge screen. If your a heavy user it will need to be recharged daily. With my use I COULD get by on a charge every 3 days, I just choose not to let it get that low.

Originally Posted By: supton
Nick, how do you type on the larger iPads? I've just used my thumbs on mine; and when I want to touch-type I get a Bluetooth keyboard (wifey just got me a Logitech M780 for Christmas, very nice if not heavy and large).

I wouldn't buy a 32GB iPad. Problem with storage is, a user tends to use an exponential curve to their usage. While it took me 3 years to fill up the ~13GB of storage I have on my iPad, I suspect the second 13GB would take a year. Or IOW a 32GB would be full potentially after 2-3 year's time.

I should probably look at something Windows or Android, something with removable storage; but after several years of not doing anything OS related (no anti-virus stuff, no backups, etc -- just the occasional OS update, which it does on its own) I'm not sure how much I want to get back to Windows malarky.
I type fine with it. Only use my thumbs. My right thumb can reach "F" and my left thumb can reach about to "J".

On Apple's website I only see 32gb and 128gb for both iPad mini 4 and iPad Air 2

Yep, but I wouldn't buy the 32GB version, for the space issues I listed. I use my Mini as a near-replacement for a computer, that's why it got full so fast. I would really need the 128GB model.

Heh, for fun I decided to see what the iPhone 6S would offer. I'm not convinced that I want a "big" phone, but what they hey, I can look. Click on Apple's site to compare phones, then click on the 6 and... my iPad won't load the page. I downloaded Chrome and it won't load the page either.
frown.gif
Pretty bad when an Apple device won't load an Apple page.

Heh, for fun I decided to see what the iPhone 6S would offer. I'm not convinced that I want a "big" phone, but what they hey, I can look. Click on Apple's site to compare phones, then click on the 6 and... my iPad won't load the page. I downloaded Chrome and it won't load the page either.
frown.gif
Pretty bad when an Apple device won't load an Apple page.

Ah! think I found a fix to this issue I've been having (pages that reload). Turning off java might "fix" that issue.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Can you go to a physical store and play around with it there? Or do they not stock the 6S anymore?

No idea. Today's posting was a lament about my iPad's failings.

Of course I can wander in and hold a phone, but there's only so much you can get out of a demo. I mean, it took a few months of driving to find what irks me about my vehicles. I did hold a couple of iPhones yesterday, not sure if I like the protruding camera on the later ones nor the smooth rounded edges. Then again, not sure if I'd just put it into a case in the end.

5S's are great phones, but I agree the cameras are a bit lacking on them. $200 does hurt a bit, but it's a phone that should last you a few years. I got a great deal on one for $99 this past Black Friday at Walmart (Straight-talk) for my daughter.

I've got a new Apple SE. Great phone. Love the wifi calling on it.

A defender case or equivalent will nearly make a phone drop proof.

My wife dropped her iPhone 5 in stairwell where it fell two floors in center then bounced down concrete stairs. It was rebooting when she got to it. A slight chip exists in edge of phone and this was 3 years ago trouble free.

I think people are crazy having near naked phones but not my money.....

Hmm, broached the subject with the wife this morning, and she reminded me that we have old iPods that I could trade in (for the 10% discount). Appears she's not against the idea--always a good sign.

Dithering on what to do. With java turned off, my iPad can no longer do "all" the things I use it for: read books, play simple games, answer email--those are ok--but surfing CL is impacted, Zillow is now trashed. Just about anything is an upgrade over it: A5 processor with 0.5GB RAM, 1024x768 display. SE and even 6S are smaller; I picked up one of the kids Touch's and the 1136x640 screen feels too small to use on the web (same size as 5S, SE). 5S, SE are a great portable size, though. Not sure if 6S with its 1334x750 screen would be "close enough" to replace my 1024x768 (I use mine in portrait mode 95% of the time).

Still think I want a 128GB Mini 4 for my primary mobile device, and then a 16GB phone would be absolutely fine.

I had a mini 2 and ended up trading it on a mini 4, the 4 is noticeably faster on everything from opening "books" to surfing the net.

I also have a iPhone 6s and have had a 5s, a 4s and a 3gs.

If I had to get by with only the 6s I could but it is certainly not as nice to web surf on and I couldn't read some (most actually) of the monthly publications I get on the 6s (that is primarily what I have the mini4 for). I do use the 6s as an iPod too so with that and pictures 16gb isn't really enough..

I like the form factor of the 5s better than the 6s actually and if I upgrade again will probably go with whatever the current "SE" model is ...

OH and the defender case is excellent, tried a lifeproof on the 6s because it is a little slimmer and hated it, it is not only lifeproof but soundproof as well everyone sounds like they are in a hole and you sound like you're in a hole to everyone, horrible piece of kit that was.

Last edited:
Oh and if you go to the apple store for trade in, it depends one what you trade in and what kind of shape it is in what you get - it isn't just a flat 10%. It think i got 175 for the mini 2 which was nearly what I paid for it and we got 198 for the 5s...

I didn't think it was a flat 10% bt that's what the wife keeps telling me.
21.gif

The more I think about it the more I realize that the sticking point is the internet. I've been using my iPad Mini as my primary web surfing computer--but much of that is wasted time, if I'm honest. I'm better off grabbing my laptop if I want to surf the web. Oh it's nice to have, but I think I'm asking too much of a mobile device.

Once I remove web browsing suddenly my old iPad is up to task of reading books and doing email while on the couch. Old but capable of what I want. Fix up my laptop and I have my web browser. That just leaves a need for a portable camera and phone, which can do email and WiFi on the fly. I suspect the SE is what I want. Smaller screen than I am used to, but the larger screen 6S won't be as portable nor as easily used (thumb can't span the screen).

I don't think I can amortize beyond 3 years, so it's $150/year for a camera and a phone.

I can't comprehend why someone would buy obsolete tech 3 gens behind.

Apple is not the only choice. I purchased a bran new LG Stylo 2 for a relative for $150 with her cricket service. It's not a high end device, but it came with 6.0 lollipop, has a great camera and is perfect for her. It has 5.5" screen. I still can't believe how inexpensive it was.

Originally Posted By: maximus
I can't comprehend why someone would buy obsolete tech 3 gens behind.

Apple is not the only choice. I purchased a bran new LG Stylo 2 for a relative for $150 with her cricket service. It's not a high end device, but it came with 6.0 lollipop, has a great camera and is perfect for her. It has 5.5" screen. I still can't believe how inexpensive it was.

Apologies. I don't keep up with "latest and greatest". Nor do I want to. I've long realized that if I chose to be a generation or more behind, then the tech gets "cheap". Perhaps that doesn't work with Apple. If you want Apple, then you have buy the most recent, if you want to get a proper 3-5 years out of the device. Otherwise you're just overpaying.

21.gif

I long ago gave up on trying to make sense of the rapidly changing tech. Whatever you learn today is obsolete info a month from now. It's way easier to find someone who is in love with this stuff to tell me what to get. But then I get odd looks for not understanding, nor caring. What am I to do?

Factor into your amortization that you'll be able to get something for it on trade in even if you keep it more than 2 years... If you do put it in something like a Defender case it will look new when you take it out and you'll get very good trade in IME.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Factor into your amortization that you'll be able to get something for it on trade in even if you keep it more than 2 years... If you do put it in something like a Defender case it will look new when you take it out and you'll get very good trade in IME.

So far I've kept electronics devices for years, just like I should have done for cars. Heck, I had a cell phone for 3 or 4 years that wouldn't work within 20 miles of home. My iPad Mini is 4 years old, and I'm just thinking now about replacing it.

But I feel chastised. Looking at Samsung Galaxy Sky now. 5" screen, 1280x720 size. Latest Android 6.0 (I think), 11GB of internal space (it's 16GB but it's about 11GB "open"), 1.5G of RAM. Has flash for the camera, 5 megapixel, but no gps (which I don't use anyhow). $140, doesn't sound too bad. The review I'm watching indicates 4.5 hours of screen-on time.

Looking at Samsung Galaxy Sky now. 5" screen, 1280x720 size. Latest Android 6.0 (I think), 11GB of internal space (it's 16GB but it's about 11GB "open"), 1.5G of RAM. Has flash for the camera, 5 megapixel, but no gps

Are you sure about it not having a GPS? I thought all smartphones had one these days...

Also, Android 6 is not the latest, but it's not too far behind. Battery life on my Nexus 5X actually got worse ever since upgrading to 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back