Will a locked Iphone 3 work for Verizon any Iphone $1,000 credit?

It’s just a trick so you don’t return the phone because you traded in yours for “value” when in reality you committed to 3 years locked into the overpriced Verizon upper tier program.

You pay for the “trade in”.

I don’t know the specific terms of current offers, but when the iPhone 14 came out, I got the 13 pro 256 for $309. I pick up at the verizon store in DE so no sales tax (it’s calculated on full retail or $999).

The catch is payments are over 36 mos, as is the discount. Also, had to be a new line so I had to get a new # (this is bad, think about all the places the cell is used for 2 factor authentication).

So imho I think the deal is legit and they want a 36 mo agreement. A free 15 pro is a very good deal. Mine was the prev model ie 13 once 14 came out. But the $309 was way less than any eBay deal.

Ps edit on my $309 deal no trade kept the Xs 64. My wife also kept her Xs 256 max which we gave to my mom.

Last edited:
I agree, this is catfishing, we have been with AT&T since the early 90's when my wife's employer had access to a special plan, which is now a " legacy" plan which is no longer available. We get unlimited talk and text with 8gb data (unused rolls over), our two lines are about $60/mo plus taxes. I called them about an upgrade (was way past due) offered me $500 off on a iPhone 14pro and I didn't have to return the old phone. Since we've had good service and good local support, no reason to change carriers. Far better deal than the Apple Store, $899 for the 14pro with a trade of $135 for my Xr. Both Verizon and others are making wild offers locally, but experience shows lousy customer service. As usual, we'll stay with what works.

What I see on Verizon website:
* You have to open a new line. That one is easy since you're switching from another company.
* You have to subscribe to the Unlimited Plus or Unlimited Ultimate plan. For a customer with a single line, those plans are at least $65 and $75 per month* respectively, plus taxes and fees-- which will be substantial.
* The credit is paid divided into 36 months. The line has to stay on the qualifying plan for all 36 months.

I suspect you could take a piece of paper and write "My Old iPhone" on it and they would take it. They're into you for at least $2500 over a $1000 phone.

* Maybe. The fine print on the page I read suggested that those prices were after a $540 "bring your own phone' credit, assuming they replace it with a $1000 "trade in any iPhone" credit, that's a net credit of only $460: $12.75 per month. Really you won't know how much it's costing you until the first bill comes, and it will be a doozy.
This^

You don't get $1000 today. You get $1000 divided over whatever the mandatory time period is, say 36 months.

So if the phone is $999 (I think that's what an iPhone 15 pro goes for it's going to be a break even on the phone (actually a bit of a loss as you have to pay sales tax so it costs something, usually on the first bill.)

But you are locked into a 36 month contract for say $70/month with taxes and fees, so close to $2500 over the course of three years.

I just purchased a used 256GB iPhone 13 pro in excellent shape for $550 on FB marketplace.

It was unlocked, so I was able to transfer my Mint Mobile and Visible SIMs into it.

I use TWO MVNOs in my phone to have two different carriers. In my case TMO and VZN respectively. (My work phone is ATT, so I carry all three with me, LOL)

This way, I get two carriers for less than what most folks pay for a single carrier.

My wife is on ATT and Visible so she has two as well.

Unlocked phones give one the freedom to move to a better deal or to do as we do and have two active eSIMs in our phones for our travel adventures.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Best way to buy phone is cash and do a month to month plan. I do Verizon at $25/phone x 4 in a “low” plan with no freebies.

If you travel internationally, confirm with Verizon what plan you'll need. Typically with Verizon that is a pricey plan. I for one don't like contracts, I don't want to be locked into a carrier for 3 years and find it better to just pay cash outright for an unlocked phone that I can do with what I want. And if you're used to Android, you're going to hate iOS.

It’s just a trick so you don’t return the phone because you traded in yours for “value” when in reality you committed to 3 years locked into the overpriced Verizon upper tier program.

You pay for the “trade in”.
If you plan to stick with Verizon it isn't a bad deal. You aren't locked into anything, you just have to pay for the remainder of the phone if you leave (Not really any different than paying cash). For what we need around here Verizon is the best option and not really anymore expensive than anyone else.

If you plan to stick with Verizon it isn't a bad deal. You aren't locked into anything, you just have to pay for the remainder of the phone if you leave (Not really any different than paying cash). For what we need around here Verizon is the best option and not really anymore expensive than anyone else.
But you can get a Visible plan (Verizon's captive MVNO) for $25 or $45/month depending on the bells and whistles you need.

If you own an unlocked phone, it literally unlocks the world of MVNO providers for less than the MNOs charge.

If what you want is some quantity of data from say 10gb/month to relatively unlimited and are not harmed by deprioritization by the MNO, you can get service for 1/3rd to 1/2 of what a MNO charges.

The average data usage in the US is under 20GB/month.

Once I'm done with my free trials, and I've been on Mint for 6 weeks and am in the 2nd week of Visible, I plan to go with a 20gb plan with Mint for I think $20 or $25/month and the Visible $25/month unlimited.

So, for $45-50, I'll have two carriers.

We get AT&T Unlimited Starter for $45/month as a veteran, but could probably switch to Cricket for my wife's phone to get that down to the $30/month range. Another $25/month for Visible and she too has two carriers, just in case.

Verizon seems to have more of the nation covered, but not as much 5G compared to other carriers. Sure, they tout their fasted 5G offering, but it's not wide spread.

TMO seems to have the best speeds when I can get it, as they have the most extensive 5g network. But they have the least coverage.

I think I have my bases covered as best as I can with a combination of TMO and VZN MVNOs on my phone.

The iPhone will do automatic data switching, so it will choose from the data networks available to send and receive your data.

The minimum plan with free phones approaches $55/month for me while my entry plan that provides reliable data and service called starter on Verizon costs $25/month. That $30/month x how many phones adds up!

Once I'm done with my free trials, and I've been on Mint for 6 weeks and am in the 2nd week of Visible, I plan to go with a 20gb plan with Mint for I think $20 or $25/month and the Visible $25/month unlimited.
You're best to go with Visible. Its a true $25 a month, includes taxes and fee's

Mint mobile has gone to the dark side with deceptive advertising to draw you in with 3 month promotions then huge price hikes.
Also that $25 Mint plan doesn't includes taxes and fees. Plus to get that price you have to pay ONE YEAR in advance.

Due diligence is key, Im not an expert in the sense I didn't look into them too deeply, just beware it seems Visible is the real deal, no games, much the same with ATT Cricket service.

Some iPhones you can find cheap on eBay I have been buying them though lol. I have an original and 4S and have others I’m after as well and have others that were mine or family members. All under $30 for the ones I got besides the ones I actually used. I don’t think you’d get anything for the iPhone 3 though as it’s useless as a phone now since 3G no longer exists they couldn’t refurbish and sell it unless they are after the chip inside it. By old they probably mean like an iPhone 5 or up. Maybe 4 but 5 to be safe even though according to the guy at Verizon you can’t activate anything on their network older than the 7 now because of something to do with the 911 tracking system won’t work anymore in anything older than a 7 so I don’t know if that’s a straight answer or not. Sometimes one will pop up for cheap on BackMarket the phone refurbishing site if it does snag it and trade it in.

Also, had to be a new line so I had to get a new # (this is bad, think about all the places the cell is used for 2 factor authentication).
Port the old number to google voice and install the voice app on your cell phone. Google voice app makes it look like you are calling from your old cell phone number and for two factor identification you can get texts and calls to get your six digit pin or whatever you need. Occasionally the text messaging is not timely but I have always been able to get calls that way.

GON - Although I know it was not your question, I would throw a vote behind the third party carrier on the network of your choice and purchase the phone outright if the trade in route you originally asked about doesn't work/isn't attractive from a total cost of the plan perspective, as long as you don't "need" the newest iphone.

A couple of family members have bought or gotten a near free iphone SE (2nd version I think) and gotten on Visible or tried another carrier or two. Very happy overall after being long standing Verizon customers. $15 - $30 a month on Visible depending on the promo they are on, plus whatever the cost of the iphone is up front (again if you don't "need" the newest and latest and greatest).

these special are just to get market share . verizon has been losing market share to TM . they also get you on the hook for 3 years . i bet they lose money on these specials, but that is the cost of marketing

You're best to go with Visible. Its a true $25 a month, includes taxes and fee's

Mint mobile has gone to the dark side with deceptive advertising to draw you in with 3 month promotions then huge price hikes.
Also that $25 Mint plan doesn't includes taxes and fees. Plus to get that price you have to pay ONE YEAR in advance.

Due diligence is key, Im not an expert in the sense I didn't look into them too deeply, just beware it seems Visible is the real deal, no games, much the same with ATT Cricket service.
Mint HAS gone to the dark side-I got a good deal initially, but they wanted to DOUBLE the cost on my plan after 3 months! Went to Tello, get the same service for even less money-unlimited talk & text, unlimited 2G data after using 500 MB of 4G/5G. $9.18/month all in, and since we're usually on wifi, the slow data is only for emergencies.

Some iPhones you can find cheap on eBay I have been buying them though lol. I have an original and 4S and have others I’m after as well and have others that were mine or family members. All under $30 for the ones I got besides the ones I actually used. I don’t think you’d get anything for the iPhone 3 though as it’s useless as a phone now since 3G no longer exists they couldn’t refurbish and sell it unless they are after the chip inside it. By old they probably mean like an iPhone 5 or up. Maybe 4 but 5 to be safe even though according to the guy at Verizon you can’t activate anything on their network older than the 7 now because of something to do with the 911 tracking system won’t work anymore in anything older than a 7 so I don’t know if that’s a straight answer or not. Sometimes one will pop up for cheap on BackMarket the phone refurbishing site if it does snag it and trade it in.
The iPhone 5 is the oldest phone that can use LTE, I still have my old CDMA 4, which Verizon finally discontinued voice service on (2 1/2 years after they were supposed to), it is basically an iPod now, although it is STILL usable on wifi, no updates, limited app use (no GV).

But you can get a Visible plan (Verizon's captive MVNO) for $25 or $45/month depending on the bells and whistles you need.

If you own an unlocked phone, it literally unlocks the world of MVNO providers for less than the MNOs charge.

If what you want is some quantity of data from say 10gb/month to relatively unlimited and are not harmed by deprioritization by the MNO, you can get service for 1/3rd to 1/2 of what a MNO charges.

So, for $45-50, I'll have two carriers.

We get AT&T Unlimited Starter for $45/month as a veteran, but could probably switch to Cricket for my wife's phone to get that down to the $30/month range. Another $25/month for Visible and she too has two carriers, just in case.

Verizon seems to have more of the nation covered, but not as much 5G compared to other carriers. Sure, they tout their fasted 5G offering, but it's not wide spread.

TMO seems to have the best speeds when I can get it, as they have the most extensive 5g network. But they have the least coverage.

I think I have my bases covered as best as I can with a combination of TMO and VZN MVNOs on my phone.

The iPhone will do automatic data switching, so it will choose from the data networks available to send and receive your data.
We are on a family plan and I am only paying $30 for unlimited. The most anyone is paying is $40 for a plan with a few more features. I am not going to save enough to bother by switching to anything else. I could care less about 5G right now.

Yep, I am aware. But he $20 or $25 plan with Mint suits my needs as one of the two plans on my phone with Visible as the 2nd.

My goal is multiple carriers for travel. oilBabe and I will have all three between us on our phones.

Since this topic has taken a turn...

I switched from Verizon to Visible last year and have had no issues whatsoever, nor did I expect any. For no-frills wireless on Verizon's system, it's been great. I just wish the data rate for tethered devices wasn't so slow. 5mb is a bit pokey but I'm thankful it's unlimited. It's what keeps me sane at work.

Back