Internet connection trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having trouble with my Sympatico (Canadian) internet provider.
When I click on the "internet explorer" icon, it tries to connect but then puts up a display saying that it can't find the web page.
I called the tech line, was put through a bunch of diagnostics, and eventually a "shortcut to bell" icon was placed on my desktop.
Now I have to click on that, connect manually, and then click on the internet explorer icon, and I get to the internet.
But it's not really fixed, I'm connecting manually, which I never had to do before.
It happened after I installed an update to my Webroot Spysweeper program, which installed a firewall I didn't have before.
I removed the firewall program, but it didn't help. I thought it might have been stopping access.
I ran a diagnostic on the connection and it said there could be a problem with my modem, BUT, a Bell tech came to my house, checked all the wires and said my signal was being reduced by 2 phones gone bad. Of course I was at work when he came and he told my wife to just disconnect those phones and all would be well. They didn't actually try it on the computer.
Any thoughts or ideas what's wrong and what to do?
Thanks.

I assumed what the tech meant was the phones you have are generating interference to your DSL lines (assume you are using DSL since cable doesn't affect the phone).

If you are using DSL, do you use the DSL filters that blocks the high frequency signals from your phone? Phone uses a low frequency signals that travel on the phone line, and DSL uses the high frequency portion. You need a filter on the low frequency phone so that it would causes interference in the high frequency portion that the DSL uses.

If the filters are working correctly, a bad phone cannot bring down the signals unless there is a short circuit.

Many of the sympatico modems have a configuration page that allows you to setup the modem to act as a router. I would try this.

Start -> Run -> CMD (OK)
ipconfig

if your IP address is 192.168.1.2 for example, then you'd type 192.168.1.1 into your Internet Explorer to get to the settings page for the modem.

Alternatively, ipconfig /all can be used and the gateway address given is the address of the modem/router.

I have had a problem with my DSL line. Not sure if the problem was the same or not though. When I tried to connect using a old style modem it worked but the DSL died. The tech person on the phone told me to run the following command set:

ipconfig /flushdns

netsh winsock reset

Reboot the PC.
The problem was gone.

I called the tech support, (they're in India) and had it fixed in less than 10 minutes. It was a setting.
Typed in 192.168.2.1 and followed his instructions for settings, and it's good now.
Thanks for the replies.

He guided your through what I suggested by the sounds of things. 192.168.2.1 is the address of your modem.

Originally Posted By: old farmer
I called the tech support, (they're in India) and had it fixed in less than 10 minutes. It was a setting.
Typed in 192.168.2.1 and followed his instructions for settings, and it's good now.
Thanks for the replies.

Do you have a router between your computer and the modem? That sounds like the same problem I had. The modem used 192.168.1.1 which was also the default setting for the router. I had to change the router address because the modem couldn't be changed.

I'm just now having the same problem.Moved to another place.The lower right icon shows the double monitor and it says connected 100mbps,but i try to open a page and i get " page cannot be displayed"

Just found out why it's screwed up. The dumba** tech from verizon hooked up my phone to somone else's phone service from the other side of the block! I receive their calls and i also can call using their number.

Can you hear me now? Oh wait.......
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Just found out why it's screwed up. The dumba** tech from verizon hooked up my phone to somone else's phone service from the other side of the block! I receive their calls and i also can call using their number.

I have verizon service, dsl and phone, and have repeatedly found their tech support to be some of the worst I have ever experienced.

Wow....

The closest this happened to me was when I ordered DSL 8 years ago, they connect me to the line alright, but between the line and my ISP is connected to the wrong ISP.

Originally Posted By: jmac

I have verizon service, dsl and phone, and have repeatedly found their tech support to be some of the worst I have ever experienced.

Those were just the temps you were having problems with.

Their regular tech support crew is actually pretty good, unfortunately the entire tech support crew is out traveling all over the country acting in Verizon commercials with the "Can you hear me now?" guy.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: jmac

Those were just the temps you were having problems with.

Their regular tech support crew is actually pretty good, unfortunately the entire tech support crew is out traveling all over the country acting in Verizon commercials with the "Can you hear me now?" guy.

^
|
LOL.gif
Too true

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back