Win11 - No Internet?

Last night Win11 would not connect to the internet. I'm connected to the network via wifi (Xfinity). All my other devices (TV, phones) that are connected via wifi are having no issues.

Couldn't run MS troubleshooters because no internet connection.

This morning, out of the blue I'm obviously connected or else I wouldn't be able to post this. Yet Win11 still shows no internet.

Untitled_08.jpg

What is going on here?

Last night Win11 would not connect to the internet. I'm connected to the network via wifi (Xfinity). All my other devices (TV, phones) that are connected via wifi are having no issues.

Couldn't run MS troubleshooters because no internet connection.

This morning, out of the blue I'm obviously connected or else I wouldn't be able to post this. Yet Win11 still shows no internet.

View attachment 186249

What is going on here?

That globe looking icon will tell you if you accidentally changed your source. Make sure it isn't set to Ethernet, VPN or Dial Up. Open it up an look around.

Your router could have assigned the same IP address to two devices - but I've only had that happen on domain networks. Have you restarted your Xfinity router?

Hard to believe, but 27 years in the tech industry has taught me, that even today, a reboot fixes a multitude of problems. Like @Pew said, reboot the router and the machine and see what happens.

W11 is the most touchy of all windows systems IMO as it just opens stuff with the passing cursor!! would love to have the simple + reliable windows 7 from the past!! if anyone could suggest a simple way to REDUCE its sensitivity it would surely be appreciated!! gotta say no internet connection was worse in the past + i love the speed of the new non hard disc. i am wired which seems more reliable as well as limiting EFM's, a good thing IMO!!

I jumped from Win7 to Win11.

Rebooted the PC, router, etc. No change.

The padlock just denotes the network is secure.

I use Firefox as my default browser. I have since discovered that Duck-Just-Go-Away (default search engine), the address cannot be found. This appears to be the issue as Google, Bing, etc, all open. What ever addresses that are is bookmarked will open normally.
  • Duck-Just-Go-Away is currently broken.
  • Change the default search engine to Google for now.
  • Rebooting the PC and the "no internet" messaging/icons are now gone.
  • The OS must proactively look for the default search engine. If it doesn't get an echo it sets the no internet message? 🤷‍♂️

Reboot the computer?
The last computer that was glitchy, the computer is running out of storage space.

You jumped from 7 to 11, does your computer eligible to go to 11?
MS limit the CPU generation that can go to Win 11.
The oldest is 8th gen Intel Core, like i5-8xxx.
If instead of 8, you have 7, then it cannot run 11.
There are work around but I am not sure how it works.

Duck-Just-Go-Away is back on line; everything is running like before.

Outdated hardware isn't the issue; OS is not an upgrade or installed on old hardware. PC is new, 8 months old.

Thanks for the help.

Duck-Just-Go-Away is back on line; everything is running like before.

Outdated hardware isn't the issue; OS is not an upgrade or installed on old hardware. PC is new, 8 months old.

Thanks for the help.
Yeah, windows does weird crap sometimes. That icon and statement (no internet) is based on a service that runs a reachability test to a specific Microsoft domain. So, if, for whatever reason, it can't get there, or the service has taken a crap, you'll get that message, even if your internet works fine.

Back