Interesting observation on Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
even on new car or truck manufacturer always put stuff on the part to prevent damage ( rust etc ,even on seal on bearing etc .so what you are seeing is as the oil does its job it is picking up those residue?

you didnt believe me right? ok ok ,the real reason now ,check the engine block and the head or other part hooked to it .is the block made of iron and head aluminium? YOU ANSWERED NO! ok .is the engine made of aluminium and intake or exaust made of iron or plastic or you got a turbo with with an intercooler?
there is your culprit .i wont go into the detail but google this: conductivity of material for plastic iron steel and aluminium. ok you didnt connect the dot ? no problem ! i ll explain .you basicly dont have enough ground .
i ll use a cummin isx for example since it is the engine that is close to a car engine

it as a turbo ,aluminium head , air to air cooler,oil cooler , etc

on the old school 350 all made in iron it mathered little where or how many ground there was .that was then with old unprecise engine
now you ll likly always need a direct ground ON THE HEAD AS CLOSE TO THE INTAKE and another as close to the exaust . dont be surprised ,you might need to ground every things that arent directly connected .got a tube snadwitched between two silicon hose made of aluminium? you will need to ground the aluminium part .what happen if you decide to ignore me ? your engine is likely gona powder coat itself without you . how you ask there is no powder ! it will use what is avail .gas carbon particule etc you ll end up with a thick black coating inside the head and wonder why your exaust is so clean and your engine head so impossibily dirty ( egr for the win)so bottom line aluminium is very friendly with static electricity. so friendly in fact that static electricity will ignore the ground .and now you know why one part of why oil change color!

This is what it looks like when the oil alone with no additives is dissolving varnish.
The piston on the lower right and 4 others all show a lot of cleaning, the one upper middle is partially blocked by the pickup tube, it is taking longer. The crank itself and block are clean.
You can see the redness in the oil. IIRC this was M1 0w40 but I have seen the same cleaning ability with the Ultra.
When I first started using the oil the stuff would come out the color of old ATF.

SAM_1118_zpsklebysmw.jpg

Originally Posted By: Trav
This is what it looks like when the oil alone with no additives is dissolving varnish.
The piston on the lower right and 4 others all show a lot of cleaning, the one upper middle is partially blocked by the pickup tube, it is taking longer. The crank itself and block are clean.
You can see the redness in the oil. IIRC this was M1 0w40 but I have seen the same cleaning ability with the Ultra.
When I first started using the oil the stuff would come out the color of old ATF.

SAM_1118_zpsklebysmw.jpg

THAT is the color I saw, color of old atf. This gives me a much desired explanation. Thank you Trav.

I noticed this myself when I changed my oil this past Saturday. The oil had a very noticeable reddish tint to it, and this was the first time I've used PUP in that engine.

My first thought was "I don't remember putting any MMO in the oil" but then I thought it might be the PUP cleaning some varnish.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
I agree with Pontual.

Trav is correct.

I agree with userfriendly, Trav is correct.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: bobbydavro
The GTL oils seems to contain a 50ppm of moly. Looking at this moly stuff in the lab it is very red.

Which moly compound is red?

I believe molybdenum dithiocarbamate is yellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back