IntelligentHome Security Install review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I figured I would start a thread on security sytems. For a while now I've been wanting to get one put in while I get a discount on it as an employee, so I called last week to schedule my Intelligenthome installation.

Tech was out today at 1:30, left at 5. Was an actual TWC Tech, not a contractor. He was actually the same guy who did our signaturehome install last January. I split the cost of this with my parents, and part of the reason we did it is obviously because of the security aspect of it, but also because of the modularity of the TWC system. It is all wireless, no drilling required, which is great since we are renting the house.

And as long as the house we build/move into is TWC serviceable, we can just take the system with us.

Anyway, the tech was great. Now the set up we have is a little odd. In my bedroom we have my own Motorola DOCSIS 3 modem, and my ASUS Router. Initially they wanted to hook it up between my modem and the router. I told them no, because I run google DNS on my router and I don't want to have to have everything go through a router I can't configure. And then in the basement we have the EMTA for our home phone service.

What they ended up doing was putting a 3rd modem and router in our living room in the corner. They used a very well known and reliable Motorola SB5101 modem, and a Netgear N300 wireless router.

What we got is.
8 Door/Window Sensors. One for the internal garage door, and the door from the garage into the basement. One on the front door, two on windows in dining room, one on sliding glass door and on the easily accessible windows in living room. A glass break detector which covers the downstairs for the back door, and the living room in case they break windows or the door. For now just one daytime camera which I have covering the garage door and front door. I'll definitely add more cameras later on, but for now this suffices. Oh and one key fob for my brother since he doesn't have a smartphone yet.

The tech did a great job and got everything put in. He showed us how it all works. For those who don't know IH allows you to set "rules" online through your portal for it. In addition to viewing current status. Armed/Disarmed (allows you to arm/disarm as well), whether doors or windows are open/closed, history, view life camera feed etc.

You can set rules. For example, I have rules set that if the alarm goes off, it changes from broadband to cellular backup, or if there is power loss, it sends both my mom and I a text message. I have it set so that if the alarm is armed and the front door or garage door is opened, for the camera to take pictures and video.

It is very customizable and configurable, which I like. The main control unit is a touchscreen device, which has the power cord get screwed into the outlet. It allows more basic configuration than online, but the basics are there. You can have multiple passcodes. of course the master code, and the duress code which are self explanitory. But you can have others, say you have a housekeeper. You can give them a code that only works on certain days between certain times to arm and disarm it. If you have kids, you can give them their own code so you know when they are home.

In the rules, say you know your kid gets home around 2:45PM. You can have it text or email you if they don't disarm it, or the front door doesn't open between 2:30 and 3:00 so you know they aren't home yet. Likewise, you can have it let you know that said event occurred so you know they are home.

The app for iphones/android is also easy to use so you can arm/disarm it before you walk in the house. Or from anywhere, in case someone needs to get in and they call you.

I took my family out for mothers day dinner tonight, and it was entertaining pulling up the app on my phone and watching the live feed of the cats play fighting and napping on the dining room table (>_
Again the tech went over how it all worked and what we could do with it. Went over the emergency contact protocol, etc. Overall it went very smoothly. I ordered the tech and myself some buffalo wings and fries too. I always treat those guys as well as I can. Overall the whole thing went very smoothly, more so than I expected.

I'll keep people updated with my experience as time goes on. If anyone has any questions for me though, I'll be more than happy to answer, just ask :p

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
Whats the retail cost?

Well, I can tell you what the retail cost would be, at least in the New England/New York and Carolinas market would be. I don't know what it would be in the midwest/texas or other regions. And to be completely honest, even a non employee would get a pretty good bit taken off of it.

But what I got, and again all equipment is wireless too.

Premier Pack: 6 Door/Window Sensors + Day Cam + Key Fob = $399.99
+ Glass Break $150 and + 2additional Sensors $150

The total retail cost would be $700 for the equipment. At least right now in the East region it would be free installation, and I can't go into too much detail, but you would probably be able to get some off of the equipment cost too.

The standard monthly monitoring is $33.99 if you have at least two services with TWC. (Internet of any speed is required to have with TWC to get IH). The monthly monitoring covers the modem and router (if an additional set is required as in mine) and the touchscreen.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the equipment cost is spread over 3 billing cycles, instead of just one, which is nice, if one wants.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great system. I live where there's no cell phone coverage and I'm off the grid a lot of the time. I can't depend on neighbors because they're not close. I have a house built like a bunker and a safe way out if under attack. My main interest is keeping my wife and myself alive so for us it's guns, dogs and obstacles. Some of our dogs are friendly pets. Others are monsters. One big reason for the guns is that anyone that could get by the monsters is going to be real trouble. Several of the monsters sleep in shelters at various locations and take their jobs very seriously. The shelters are monitored as are the gates and other possible entry points to our property. We live in Southern California and because of all the illegals we do have confrontations now and then so security is a big concern in our part of the world. We have periodic security drills and the dogs love it. When the air horn blows they all know what to do and where to go. If you break into our home while we are gone you'd better have really thick skin and one heck of a battering ram. And if you happen to get into the house I hope you like surprises. I'm not stupid enough to hurt you but you'll sure be easy to pick out in a crowd. Unfortunately out here security is off the grid and out of reach. Even if you could call for help a lot can happen while you're waiting.

Is it based upon the 2gig system? What happens when the thief just cuts the phone and cable lines to your house?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Is it based upon the 2gig system? What happens when the thief just cuts the phone and cable lines to your house?

I didn't ask the tech if it was 2.4 or 5Ghz. I'll look later. And if they did cut the lines, it automatically switches over to cellular backup.

Here are some pics of the system in place. Will get a couple more tomorrow in daylight. Also, the system is WPA2 encrypted with what I understand is a very long encryption key.

First, obligatory kitty, one of the reasons for the system.
laugh.gif

IMAG0014_zpsb2592c97.jpg

The control panel

IMAG0041_zps5ac360b3.jpg

IMAG0019_zps71973a4a.jpg

IMAG0020_zpsc53c6f26.jpg

IMAG0021_zpse6ae518b.jpg

Main screen

IMAG0037_zps5fcf1d3e.jpg

Disarm Screen
IMAG0038_zps92c47334.jpg

Some of the sensors
Front Door
IMAG0026_zpsb532222a.jpg

Dining room window
IMAG0022_zpsce19052b.jpg

Basement door from garage
IMAG0034_zpsaa14cdcf.jpg

Glass break detector
IMAG0027_zps162c7960.jpg

Current location for daytime cam. Will be moved shortly
IMAG0023_zpse08f4f9c.jpg

The modem and router for the system
IMAG0024_zps6976fd34.jpg

IMAG0025_zps6aa932b8.jpg

The phone and cable junction point in basement

IMAG0029_zps5ad7143a.jpg

IMAG0032_zps4a482cb3.jpg

Lastly, screenshot of the portal. Note that the cam is a daytime camera hence the dark image.
86ad7d0c-648f-4eda-83f3-1d33fd7de59e_zps5e119d77.jpg

Very cool! Looks like a much more robust system than the $99 ADT specials. Is there an annual contract for the monitoring service?

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Very cool! Looks like a much more robust system than the $99 ADT specials. Is there an annual contract for the monitoring service?

Just a one time 18 month contract for initial set up, nothing after that. And one of the other things I like is like I said, it's modular. So if I want to add more cameras, sensors, thermostats or whatever, all I need to do is call and schedule them to come out. And it's pretty simple, since everything is wireless.

Nice system Nick R but some things are best kept a secret that only you and your family know about.

Like most home security setups the installation is cheap but the monthly monitoring nut is where they get you.

There are ways to automate your home, set up security cameras, etc without paying the fee. Hope TWC doesn't crack down on open ports/ running a server now that they are the competition.

Funny, though, like VOIP this was an idea whose time has come ten years ago but they must have sweated the details and locked this up in committee for years. Still, they beat comcast to the punch.
lol.gif

Think of how many wasted phone lines are devoted to ADT and other old school security systems...

If the panel is loose, what happens when the intruder comes in and slams it on the ground?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
If the panel is loose, what happens when the intruder comes in and slams it on the ground?

If the system loses connectivity to the monitoring center, they will try to call. If they cant reach us they will send police.

how long is the turnaround for all that to happen? I assume the system isnt constantly looking for connectivity, especially on TWH's end.

I didn't realize how extensive the home security systems got today! Wow!

I think it wouldn't be too useful for me. If they (or I) call the police ... they won't come.

I am glad (likely naive) I don't feel like I need one.

My only weapon in home is revolutionary war weapon.

Incredible tech on the cheap for sure in your home!

What if you had a dog and one webcam? Point the cam where the dog sleeps. If he's not there, there's a problem.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I am glad (likely naive) I don't feel like I need one.

My only weapon in home is revolutionary war weapon.

Incredible tech on the cheap for sure in your home!

You mean the boogeyman isnt around the corner waiting to break in, with a team of 50 thus you need a 100-round magazine at your side, sleeping with one eye open?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back