Intake cleaning - what do you suggest I do next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you watched this? The kit I purchased last year had a DVD with the following video. The newer kit purchased last month does NOT have the DVD anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX5J5kZLTw4

I am having hard time understanding how the intake cleaner ended up in your air cleaner element. Generally speaking, the intake path from air cleaner element to the throttle body is NOT up hill i.e. liquid would not go back to air cleaner if the 3M DIY tube was just dribbling.

- Vikas

Last edited:
I have an 03 taurus with the vulcan and I was diagnosing a 97 duratec today. If you go on tcca and look , there is not all that much intake or dirty valve problems on these cars except the throttle plates and the stupidly designed egr pressure sensor. At your mileage , I wouldn't be overly concerned.
On my taurus I have used pri-g and have used lucas ucl too.I think I used B-g once . I get the stuff free from a mechanic friend. My car has about 40000 miles. A $2 bottle of shell v-power or regaine won't hurt either. The rest is just over kill on a low mileage vehicle like yours. I will say that I like costco gasoline which is actually b-p. or speedway/ marathon .

As far as someone mentioning lubrication of fuel pumps is not happening, you best do a bit more study on the subject in terms of cleaning , cooling, and lubricating a fuel system including a pump. You were not entirely wrong ,but even "sealed" pumps do benefit from some lube in the corrosive environment they live. .

+1 to Amsoil Power Foam, it worked great cleaning up the throttle and intake on my Silverado. You spray it in and it foams right up and covers everything on all sides. You can actually watch it dissolve the crud before your eyes.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
I'd buy Redline SI-1 with the Amazon credit.

+1... Buy two bottles of Redline SL-1 and run it in two straight full tanks.. You could also use BG44K but the Redline is less cost and using it twice will clean you up.

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I'd buy Redline SI-1 with the Amazon credit.

+1... Buy two bottles of Redline SI-1 and run it in two straight full tanks.. You could also use BG44K but the Redline is less cost and using it twice will clean you up.

There, fixed it.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Have you watched this? The kit I purchased last year had a DVD with the following video. The newer kit purchased last month does NOT have the DVD anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX5J5kZLTw4

I am having hard time understanding how the intake cleaner ended up in your air cleaner element. Generally speaking, the intake path from air cleaner element to the throttle body is NOT up hill i.e. liquid would not go back to air cleaner if the 3M DIY tube was just dribbling.

- Vikas

Unfortunately, in my case it is uphill.

And I watched the video before buying the kit. Thanks!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chad8
I have an 03 taurus with the vulcan and I was diagnosing a 97 duratec today. If you go on tcca and look , there is not all that much intake or dirty valve problems on these cars except the throttle plates and the stupidly designed egr pressure sensor. At your mileage , I wouldn't be overly concerned.
On my taurus I have used pri-g and have used lucas ucl too.I think I used B-g once . I get the stuff free from a mechanic friend. My car has about 40000 miles. A $2 bottle of shell v-power or regaine won't hurt either. The rest is just over kill on a low mileage vehicle like yours. I will say that I like costco gasoline which is actually b-p. or speedway/ marathon .

As far as someone mentioning lubrication of fuel pumps is not happening, you best do a bit more study on the subject in terms of cleaning , cooling, and lubricating a fuel system including a pump. You were not entirely wrong ,but even "sealed" pumps do benefit from some lube in the corrosive environment they live. .

Yes the throttle plate and the body around the plate was very dirty. Cleaning that up quietened the idle significantly.

The car had seen a lot of short journeys for a couple of years and a lack of top tier fuel which I think has aged everything beyond it's 66k miles. It's had frequent and quality oil changes with original filters but clearly that hasn't been enough.

The good news is that the car has definitely improved. The smoother idle and acceleration is because of the throttle body and plate cleaner, but the car also seems to have more power, which must be because some of the intake cleaner entered the system (the in tank cleaner hasn't worked it's way entirely through the system and is quite weak in terms of PEA%). I just can't tell what % of the intake cleaner was used and how much was wasted.

One thing I would expect is that if the throttle body and plate is that dirty and that is a result of blowback from the engine, then the rest of the intake should be as bad.

In that case, you would want to use a cleaner that starts as close to the throttle body plate as possible.

Which is why I was thinking about getting the Walmart treatment. To be sure that I've cleaned the intake. In any case, I'm going to let the in tank cleaner work it's way through, and then take it from there, probably add some Regane first. Right now, the acceleration, while improved, still feels rough so I think the first step is to use something like Regane to see if that completes the job.

That's a good start.

How are the Spark Plugs? How old & how many miles?

Other important items too, starting with: PCV? Air Filter?

I have one of these 3M kits, it was in the clearance pile at my Orileys for $10.

One thing I tried to find was just the "Intake cleaner." Apparently, 3M only sells this product in their kit.
confused.gif

That's a good start.

How are the Spark Plugs? How old & how many miles?

Other important items too, starting with: PCV? Air Filter?

Spark plugs are original, just under 8 years and 66k

PCV, same

Air filter is new (had to replace when the intake cleaner leaked onto it). The previous one only had 6k on it.

Do you think I was right to change the air filter that had about 3 pleats soaked with intake cleaner? I was worried about a combustion hazard at the time.

You could have air dried it or used a hair dryer, but a new air filter is always good.

If the plugs are Iridium, they're probably ok. If not, change them!

Put in a new PCV, they can make a difference for the better in a few ways.

You could have air dried it or used a hair dryer, but a new air filter is always good.

If the plugs are Iridium, they're probably ok. If not, change them!

Put in a new PCV, they can make a difference for the better in a few ways.

Thanks. The old filter has been air drying. I'll keep it for a future replacement. It only had 8k on it.

I was planning on doing the spark plugs with the next oil change, in a few months, with the car at the 8 year old mark. The original change interval is 10 years, same for the PCV valve. I'll add the PCV valve to that service.

I believe the intake manifold needs to be removed to access the rear 3 spark plugs so I can take a look to see how clean or dirty that is at that time.

Thanks!

You don't need to spend $35 on that 3M kit. A $5 can of intake cleaner sprayed to clean the throttle body and then spray the rest of the can in short bursts with engine running. Then you can suck a $8 can of Seafoam or other cleaner of choice thru a vacuum if you want, but you probably wouldn' need to after the can of intake cleaner. Then dump a good bottle of cleaner (Techron for example) in the tank and your done.

Do this at your oil change before dumping the old oil. I've done this method for years with fine results. I do use a professional FI cleaner kit (which has intake cleaners too) which attaches to the fuel rail and runs off the can. This is the ONLY way to really clean injectors second only to removing them. I will do this only every 30k miles or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back