Insurance Shopping

JHZR2

Staff member
Curious what folks use to shop for insurance.

Broker, a million different websites, one aggregating website, etc.

We had been with Travellers for a number of years, and were very happy. NJ Manufacturers before that. Each time it was because the insurer raised rates after a few years.

We currently have California Casualty, because they were more cost effective than Travellers. But we just got that they’re leaving the state entirely. They sent the same letter for auto and home.

IMG_8569.jpeg

This sort of thing turns into a big waste of time. So I’m curious what the best way folks use is. TBH we checked out California because we got a mailer at the right time when our prior policy was up for renewal and they were increasing it more than my liking despite no claims.

So what’s the best way to go?

Probably would look for auto, home, and umbrella.

Last edited:
For the last 5 or so years, when I took the extra time to get the lowest quote but same parameters I have had different policies through different companies and beat supposed multi line discounts. I fire them whenever they threaten a rate increase. I'm going to keep doing this myself and planning for it around Dec of this year. My house is currently with Farmers, and auto is Progressive. Good luck.

Been with Farmers on the house and vehicles for 7 years. I’ve shopped occasionally but couldn’t get the same coverages for less. Went to a broker this year and he said to stay with Farmers as he couldn’t beat or even match what I had.

$11,000 a year for 2 vehicles and a home, seems insane but that’s the best I can do currently.

I plan to look beyond Geico for my auto and Allstate for my home. And SkiSafe for my boat. I started some pricing s few months ago but as I started to make changes to get the policy with the coverage I need the savings was no so much

Been with Farmers on the house and vehicles for 7 years. I’ve shopped occasionally but couldn’t get the same coverages for less. Went to a broker this year and he said to stay with Farmers as he couldn’t beat or even match what I had.

$11,000 a year for 2 vehicles and a home, seems insane but that’s the best I can do currently.

$11K is a great deal for 2 vehicles and a home.

I just went through this since USAA has (recently) raised rates so much (they recently posted a $1.2B loss).

I had a template I used with all of the policy information I was looking for (bundling auto/home); I used a broker and also went to websites for Allstate, State Farm, Progressive, Farmers, Travelers, Costco (AmFam) and Geico. I would wait for the replies and kept a spreadsheet to compare rates. Rates were all over the map with Progressive being the most expensive, Safeco (broker) being the least expensive and Allstate the second lowest. Will save ~$250 a month by bundling with Allstate for the same coverages as USAA.

I have no doubt at renewal the amount will go up, but I am good for a year.

Last edited:

I do the $5k deductible because it isn't in my best interest to file claims for small things and be penalized later.
Talking about the house. My car deductible is only $50. because that doesn't save much and I have unlimited windshield replacements.
Like most I float around every two to three years. I have been insured by many.. currently with Progressive because nobody else was close...

If you can, find an insurance co that only writes in your state or a couple of states. The big national companies spread their losses in one area of the country to all their customers with rate increases. Small regional companies aren't affected by say hurricanes in FL. I was with Allstate but their rates were dramatically increasing due to huge losses in Fl. I found a Insurance co that only operates in WV and save about $2k a year over Allstate. They have been around for a long time so I wasn't worried.

I have never had any luck at the consolidator websites. I get a bunch of quotes from the ones that do web servicing, and a quote from a indy insurance agent and compare. The individual websites don't take that long. If you have all your VIN's they seem to all pull from the same database somewhere anyway and more often than not just ask you to confirm your information.

I don't switch as often as most here, but have more or less been forced to a couple times over the last few years for the same reason.

That's insane

I just dropped earthquake and that saved $1,000 a year. I hope I don’t regret it, but stick framed homes don’t typically collapse in an earthquake. The earthquake deductible was also $190k, I can have a lot of drywall and mortar repaired before I exceeded that.

Very few companies are writing new business on Coverage A amounts over $800k right now according to the broker I worked with. I also found that to be true when I shopped all the big players myself.

$11K is a great deal for 2 vehicles and a home.

Yeah, if you live in Florida, I feel for you. My in-laws don’t live on the water but do have an expensive home there, it’s over $50k/year for that house and the deductible for a named storm is something crazy, like $250k+. Chubb, AIG and maybe one other company even writing for those types of properties so there are very limited options.

Back