Insulin Resistance - ready to learn something?

We have done Keto with mixed results. My wife's BGL and BP went down but not the weight. I lost some weight but nothing really significant. I have a back injury that limits my mobility and after a lot of reading this past year we are doing a modified keto now. We don't really monitor the carbs strictly but eat a low carb based diet. Try to stay away from carbs, especially anything in a box and do fasting. I believe the fasting is key for us. We eat 2 meals a day consisting of high fat, protein, greens and waters/teas/coffee. I started fasting at 14hrs and am able to go 18-20 hours regularly now. I try and eat between 13:00 and 14:00 for the first meal and 17:00-18:00 for dinner. Some days just one meal is my goal. I started on January as my weight is up significantly and I felt bad. I am down from a tight 38 jean to 36s now and my love handles and belly are shrinking. My wife started the end of January and is down one size. Dr. Jason Fung is a very good YT resource. His explanation of how fasting works is awesome. We fast everyday, I think the low carb high protein and fats help keep us full but do not overindulge. Overeating is also a key to cut out, simply more in = more stored fat on my belly.

We have done Keto with mixed results. My wife's BGL and BP went down but not the weight. I lost some weight but nothing really significant. I have a back injury that limits my mobility and after a lot of reading this past year we are doing a modified keto now. We don't really monitor the carbs strictly but eat a low carb based diet. Try to stay away from carbs, especially anything in a box and do fasting. I believe the fasting is key for us. We eat 2 meals a day consisting of high fat, protein, greens and waters/teas/coffee. I started fasting at 14hrs and am able to go 18-20 hours regularly now. I try and eat between 13:00 and 14:00 for the first meal and 17:00-18:00 for dinner. Some days just one meal is my goal. I started on January as my weight is up significantly and I felt bad. I am down from a tight 38 jean to 36s now and my love handles and belly are shrinking. My wife started the end of January and is down one size. Dr. Jason Fung is a very good YT resource. His explanation of how fasting works is awesome. We fast everyday, I think the low carb high protein and fats help keep us full but do not overindulge. Overeating is also a key to cut out, simply more in = more stored fat on my belly.
Good stuff.

I am lucky at near 66 to be able to some fairly active things. My weight stays very stable.......I mean within drinking a small glass of water difference. I could lose some more, but body seems to say no.

I'm not perfect, I have some bread every week or two.

Also, I do vegan 1, 2 sometimes 3 times a week. My whole system seems to like the mix up. Not too many simple carbs on those days.

Still, need more exercise!

If you have a big belly and high blood pressure you should watch some of the YT videos by Ben Bikman PhD.

I am pretty sure you will learn a few things especially if you are trying to loose weight.

Not trying to provide any medical advice. Just some education suggestions.
Dr. Jason Fung on YT explains IR very well. You may want to watch if you haven't already.

https://youtube.com/@drjasonfung?si=zaxiuJURNy6wqDdz

Good stuff.

I am lucky at near 66 to be able to some fairly active things. My weight stays very stable.......I mean within drinking a small glass of water difference. I could lose some more, but body seems to say no.

I'm not perfect, I have some bread every week or two.

Also, I do vegan 1, 2 sometimes 3 times a week. My whole system seems to like the mix up. Not too many simple carbs on those days.

Still, need more exercise!
My wife loves toast for breakfast so on the weekends when we can cook a first meal together she has her toast. We use the Old Tyme 648 bread that is high in fiber and lower in carbs. Not bad actually. That is awesome you are active, I am 20 years younger and was very active 2 yrs ago but after I fell it went downhill. Never thought I would be in this position but such is life. Keep up the great work.

Non-fat sweetened fruit yogurt is an evil trick on fat people. Doesn't even satisfy. Drives BG through the roof. Terrible really for anyone.

Full fat, no sweetener yogurt is OK in moderation.

Just compare the carbs in each. That one is easy.
Fage 0% fat greek yogurt is a wonderful high protein snack, though.

If you have a big belly and high blood pressure you should watch some of the YT videos by Ben Bikman PhD.

I am pretty sure you will learn a few things especially if you are trying to loose weight.

Not trying to provide any medical advice. Just some education suggestions.
@wwillson
I woke up not too long ago and thought this was a new thread😅 I see I commented in here, pages ago a while back.

Anyway, I just ordered the book, thanks for the recommendation.
I got a hard cover from walmart.com significantly less than Amazon, cost was $20

Carbs in grams???

If 2-3-4g probably OK, but why snack? Yogurt is so very unsatisfying.

It's 5 grams of sugar. Hmmmmm.......not good if you are striving for keto, not bad if you are lean and active and young
When I want something sweet, I eat a serving of it with one tablespoon of sugar free preserves mixed in…super good. I love yogurt.

Fage 0% fat greek yogurt is a wonderful high protein snack, though.
Wow, after seeing your posts I see that is one of the good ones as long as it's the 0%. They have another that is loaded with sugar (2%)
I haven't seen Fage in stores around here or maybe didnt know to look for it.
Oikos Triple Zero is another and one I have been eating.

Do have to be careful, many others are not exactly a health food. Both the above have green "check marks" from Environmental Nutrition Newsletter. Some Chobani and Siggi's do to but just have to watch the labels and make sure to get the 0% or no added sugar ones.
I think as Americans we tend to corrupt even healthy yogurt unless we make sure to select the true good ones but maybe that is all around the world now too.

Dr. Jason Fung on YT explains IR very well. You may want to watch if you haven't already.

https://youtube.com/@drjasonfung?si=zaxiuJURNy6wqDdz
I watched a couple of his YT videos. He pushes intermittent fasting. Dr Ben Bikman suggests that also but really pushes lifestyle changes including diet and exercise, potentially fasting. Dr Ben Bikman suggests 10 or 12 hour fasting most days to give your system a break for several hours where your insulin can get to a fasting level and then stay at that level for awhile. And then longer fasting for fat burning

Reactions: wlk
I watched a couple of his YT videos. He pushes intermittent fasting. Dr Ben Bikman suggests that also but really pushes lifestyle changes including diet and exercise, potentially fasting. Dr Ben Bikman suggests 10 or 12 hour fasting most days to give your system a break for several hours where your insulin can get to a fasting level and then stay at that level for awhile. And then longer fasting for fat burning
Dr. Fung also says it is a life style change with diet and exercise. I don't know if you saw the one that had the time tables for when your body switches to storing it vs burning. He stresses the pancreas needs a break to combat IR. I believe it was about 12-13hrs at the switch. For me I eat moderately low carb diet, 2 meals on a 16/8hr schedule daily. My wife does the 16/8 due to scheduled work lunch hours and I try to do a 18/6 or 20/4 schedule. It truly has helped me and my wife.
Good luck, there is more than one way to skin a cat and lifestyles are included.

So reading two books in managing insulin resistance and diabetes.

1) Why We Get Sick

2) Mastering Diabetes

Both are pretty recent. Written in last 2 or 3 years.

They go in somewhat different directions. Why We Get Sick wants you to focus on avoiding seed oils and refined carbs. But animal meat is OK. In fact Ben Bikman says protein from animal meat is just superior to plant based protein. Mastering Diabetes wants you to shift towards a plant based diet.

More reading to do.
Also @Pablo

Wow guys, I now have my hard copy of "Why we get sick" by Benjamin Bikman, PhD
What a GREAT FREAKING BOOK and I only started reading it before I went to sleep, up to page 25. The cool part is they already spoke about the heart and heart disease which is important to me.
You know, between finances and health I dont know why this stuff isnt mandatory reading in schools.

Can you imagine if everyone in this country was forced to read this book? and I am only up to page 25 (plus the introduction)
I always knew diabetes itself eats away (figuratively speaking) at every organ and blood vessel in your body but I did not know what insulin resistance starts doing way before you actually have high blood sugar.
Wow, just in the first 25 pages I already learned and know I have insulin resistance (but still good blood sugar), guaranteed based on their criteria. This book has motivated me to the next level. Thanks for bring it up @Donald the health care industry isnt going too. The BILLIONS or trillions of lost health care dollars that would result if everyone followed this book. But we know that wont happen.

Sorry if I am carrying on, no matter how weird this must sound I just wanted to say thank you, I am going to REALLY enjoy this book.
My last motivating book was :The Simple Heart Cure and touched on some of what is in Why We Get Sick (inflammation)
I think I am going to like this book even more, very well written with factual data. Insulin resistance, inflammation etc.

Bottom line you can take control which I already learned about heart disease but this book, if I follow it, seems like it truly will take care of itself and much the conversation I have with my Cardiologist.

IMG_7326.JPG

Last edited:
Halfway through this book, recommended by others in here. Man, what an eye opener. Awesome information, great read, always look forward to getting back to it. IF the whole country knew this information we would knock the cost of health care down and people would be living life better.

OK now tell me - why does AHA tend to poo-poo almost, well all of this? Methods that work for most people.

The poo-poo is (almost) always some past consumed food survey with a bunch of small escape clause caveats, but the press headlines the top part (no caveats) because well who are they to go against THE American HEART Association?

Don't eat meat, ALL fats are bad, intermittent fasting causes heart attacks, eat more grains, eat non-fat, etc....all dubious advice for my body type.

The only thing in agreement - and is good: Be More Active!!

OK now tell me - why does AHA tend to poo-poo almost, well all of this? Methods that work for most people.

The poo-poo is (almost) always some past consumed food survey with a bunch of small escape clause caveats, but the press headlines the top part (no caveats) because well who are they to go against THE American HEART Association?

Don't eat meat, ALL fats are bad, intermittent fasting causes heart attacks, eat more grains, eat non-fat, etc....all dubious advice for my body type.

The only thing in agreement - and is good: Be More Active!!
Here - doesn't allow the vids to be watched off platform:

@Pablo ^^^
Thanks for posting, only had time to skim over the video's but will revisit this. BTW- Im halfway through the book, "Why we get sick"
Certainly OPENED my eyes to learn about Insulin resistance. Im aware of blood lipids and well aware of inflammation, actually new DR went over that with me late last year. Though mostly aware anyway.
Blood lipids I always took care of and mine are really good. ALL OF THEM.

AS much as the diet as presented in the videos are presented though, I think a general takeaway from all of this, no matter what source, is weigh what your BMI says you should weigh and what you eat is the biggest problem in our nation as a STARTING point.
Because that in itself will remove the greatest amount of risk factors. Such as ultra low lipids

Anyway, the book has me really excited to try to take things to the next level. I have one MAJOR problem and nothing can be done about it except in my Dr opinion is to try to get my LDL as low as and close as to zero as I can... my goal is 30 I have been as low as 40 something in the past. If I can do that I want to get off a low dose statin because of what I think I read, it maybe increasing insulin resistance. I think statins increase resistance.

Tough balancing act and low reading this stuff, maybe I will live long enough to get everything in place because I need to learn more about this. No known treatment yet, actually I saved a form where I might be eligible for a study... given of course by a drug company. One thing for sure I avoid taking meds if diet can make it unnecessary.
The book mentioned this ... it's a bad LDL (lack of better word, still need to learn about it) my new cardiologist tested me for it. But not often tested for, though it is changing, it's a hereditary (defect) ... so you can have great traditional lipids but as I am posting below, this is my issue.
Anyway, this stuff fasinates me and if you can win the other battles with insulin resistance, sugar and lipids... I suspect it helps.

Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 1.47.09 PM.jpg

Back