Installing Magnets on Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
wonder if anyone has done a "scientific" study on all this?

They have.

Filter mag claim at minimum one full ISO code drop once installed and most of the time more than that - hardly insignificant.

We also have a member who has spent considerable time running some tests and documenting results. (I hate auto fraud)

Most Iron shavings basically go right through your filter and see gong round and round till you drain the sump.

Autos especially the commuter low HP stuff most guys here have - put out very little
Half ton truck and bigger - (under load) put out some
Motorhomes put out a lot
Boats - put out an incredible amount.

Magnets are the cheapest filter helper you can get and an excellent diagnostic tool

UD

I like the looks of those filter mags as I do a magnetic drain plug. The magnetic drain plugs use to be the norm years ago. I am curious why you hardly see them on anything anymore, is it the cost?

Not sure how hard/easy both will be to obtain up here, but I think I am going to look into it?

Actually lots of manufacturers still use them, but the aftermarket brands like the gold plug and dimple mag step up the magnets power.

I have mag drain plugs in all my rides for the 20 bones or so they help a bit and aid in diagnostics cannot hurt and can only help.
The cost although not zero to me at least is so minimal as to be nearly meaningless in the overall investment and ongoing maintenance stream.

Some things like little honda 2K gensets thats all the filtering you get- and you get some goop on it for sure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko_lwhe8Bgo

They aren't as effective as the mags placed on filters as the proximity to the magnetic flux determines capturing effectiveness.

With all the oil going through the filter you ave a batter chance at a one pass pickup with the filter placed mags

UD

Last edited:
Actually lots of manufacturers still use them, but the aftermarket brands like the gold plug and dimple mag step up the magnets power.

I have mag drain plugs in all my rides for the 20 bones or so they help a bit and aid in diagnostics cannot hurt and can only help.
The cost although not zero to me at least is so minimal as to be nearly meaningless in the overall investment and ongoing maintenance stream.

Some things like little honda 2K gensets thats all the filtering you get- and you get some goop on it for sure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko_lwhe8Bgo

They aren't as effective as the mags placed on filters as the proximity to the magnetic flux determines capturing effectiveness.

With all the oil going through the filter you ave a batter chance at a one pass pickup with the filter placed mags

UD

Thanks.
cheers3.gif

Hopefully it's not too much of a headache to get them up here in Canada? Both, I am referring too.

Originally Posted By: irv

They have.

Filter mag claim at minimum one full ISO code drop once installed and most of the time more than that - hardly insignificant.

We also have a member who has spent considerable time running some tests and documenting results. (I hate auto fraud)

Most Iron shavings basically go right through your filter and see gong round and round till you drain the sump.

Autos especially the commuter low HP stuff most guys here have - put out very little
Motorhomes put out a lot

Magnets are the cheapest filter helper you can get and an excellent diagnostic tool

UD

I like the looks of those filter mags as I do a magnetic drain plug. The magnetic drain plugs use to be the norm years ago. I am curious why you hardly see them on anything anymore, is it the cost?

Not sure how hard/easy both will be to obtain up here, but I think I am going to look into it?

I was able to find a place in Canada that carried/sold the filter mags but I think I have decided against it as many other places also sell/carry magnets for a lot less money.

I found this one snooping. It's a 65 lb magnet for $11-$12 bucks. They also carry 25lb ones for a few bucks less. I just need to make up my mind but I am leaning towards the 65 lb'r just for some extra piece of mind knowing it should stay on a lot better.
https://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index...138?Ntt=magnets

Drain plug magnets are easier to find/ship and are cheaper but at this point, with the filtermag, I am not sure if I am going to purchase those?

Thoughts?

They have.

Motorhomes put out a lot

UD

I was able to find a place in Canada that carried/sold the filter mags but I think I have decided against it as many other places also sell/carry magnets for a lot less money.

I found this one snooping. It's a 65 lb magnet for $11-$12 bucks. They also carry 25lb ones for a few bucks less. I just need to make up my mind but I am leaning towards the 65 lb'r just for some extra piece of mind knowing it should stay on a lot better.
https://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index...138?Ntt=magnets

Drain plug magnets are easier to find/ship and are cheaper but at this point, with the filtermag, I am not sure if I am going to purchase those?

Thoughts?

As a dome end mag that would be fine - especially on a dome down scenario it will hold any large pieces that don't embed in the filter - but done ends arent going to work as well as as mags on the walls or especially mags in the oil stream - but you really want the mag as close to or in the wall as you can make it.

Any neodymium small flat bars would work, and have a curie temp well above what your oil is going to reach. Samarium cobalts work well too.

Linctex's dimple mag setup in the intake valley is sweet and cheap - if you can accommodate it - all the oil flows over the mags this way.

UD

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I would check out what the magnet composition is. Some lose Gauss at higher temperatures.

Samarium Cobalt is more temperature resistant to loosing strength.

I make my own oil plug magnets with samarium cobalt 1/4 x 1 inch magnets.

https://www.apexmagnets.com/magnets/samarium-cobalt#page=1

I wasn't aware of that, guys. I'll have to dig into this a little better.

Those Filtermags, although I do like them, are pricey up here!

I thought the magnet I posted might provide the same benefits but just placing it on the bottom?

Maybe just going with a magnetic drain plug, or nothing at all is my best choice?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I would check out what the magnet composition is. Some lose Gauss at higher temperatures.

Samarium Cobalt is more temperature resistant to loosing strength.

I make my own oil plug magnets with samarium cobalt 1/4 x 1 inch magnets.

https://www.apexmagnets.com/magnets/samarium-cobalt#page=1

I wasn't aware of that, guys. I'll have to dig into this a little better.

Those Filtermags, although I do like them, are pricey up here!

I thought the magnet I posted might provide the same benefits but just placing it on the bottom?

Maybe just going with a magnetic drain plug, or nothing at all is my best choice?
21.gif

It might work, just if its gone after a hot run, you know why. I could not see the price here but if its cheap enough why not try it.

I did make my own magnetic drain plugs.

6 magnets were $12.99 plus whatever the drain plug bolts cost. 7.8 lbs of pull force for a small magnet. Not the most expensive magnets but still good to 300f.

These claim to be good to 320c

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Samarium-Cobalt-Magnets-1-4-x-1-inch-Cylinder-SmCo30/121722899154?epid=1148522311&hash=item1c57400ad2:g:jRsAAOSw3ydVwlYv

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4465589/Re:_How_are_magnetic_drain_plu#Post4465589

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back