Inspecting old brake pads/rotors to find a problem..

I recently changed out my front brake pads and rotors on my 2000 Camry which were factory original to the car. Front pads were replaced with Advics Ultra Premium, the rotors are Centric CTEK, new OEM Toyota anti rattle clips aka hardware, and Dorman slide pin boots.

I disassembled everything and cleaned it thoroughly in my parts washer. I used Sil-Glide to lube up the slide pins and also where the new brake hardware sits onto the bracket. I noticed after driving the car for almost 60 miles post install, I can still smell the brakes… I didn’t do a bed-in procedure as Advics calls for a “30/30/30” rule which in my experience takes care of itself in normal traffic conditions.

The new thing I noticed after install, and this happened twice today on two different occasions, is that when I released the brake pedal from a stop light to take off, I almost felt like a holding back, drag type feeling before the car started moving. This of course stirred my curiosity even though it happened twice… it wasn’t drastic but enough for me to notice it.. I didn’t feel this before.. The reason that I changed out my front brakes was because they were old and I’d always hear a metal on metal scratching type noise every 1 full revolution of the rotor..

Now I’m wondering if I have a lazy/sticking caliper and if that had caused the symptoms of the aforementioned old brake noise..

I jacked up the car, placed the vehicle in neutral and spun both wheels by hand and they spin freely without hesitation..

What do you all think about the wear marks on my old original rotors and do they seem to have any wear marks that indicate a sticking caliper?

IMG_6160.jpeg

IMG_6161.jpeg

IMG_6162.jpeg

IMG_6163.jpeg

IMG_6164.jpeg

IMG_6165.jpeg

IMG_6166.jpeg

IMG_6167.jpeg

IMG_6168.jpeg

Last edited:
How can a 24 year old car have original front pads like that unless you only drive it like 500 miles a year? And if so, why did you change them?
The car has 132,000 miles on it and was owned by an old lady before me. I mentioned it in my post, but I changed out the brakes because they’re old and I would have clunking when backing up and a metal on metal scratching noise per 1 revolution of the rotor. I also noticed with the new brakes is that if I stop at a light, move my foot off of the brake pedal slightly and let the car creep forward and reapply the brakes, I hear a faint creaking..

Those pads look like they might have 13,000 miles on them, not 132,000.
I didn’t believe it myself until I found some posts over at Toyota Nation forums where people post pics of their pads with over 100k miles on them with similar wear or lack thereof.. Toyota pads last forever it seems

You did bleed the system well and made sure to top off the fluid after the job I guess.
I will do a brake flush when my rear rotors come in on Friday.

yes, the rotors look almost un-used
Yes you’re right.. What sucks is that they have a high spot of sort or at least that’s what I feel by hand, and they make a scratching type noise reminiscent of a bent dust shield rubbing against the rotor, which I confirmed was not the case..

How can a 24 year old car have original front pads like that unless you only drive it like 500 miles a year? And if so, why did you change them?
I had a 1991 Nissan Hardbody pickup. It had 250,000+ miles when I sold it. Still original pads and shoes when it went to the new owner.

Mainly highway miles and little city driving. 5 speed transmission, so I down-shifted also.

I didn’t believe it myself until I found some posts over at Toyota Nation forums where people post pics of their pads with over 100k miles on them with similar wear or lack thereof.. Toyota pads last forever it seems
Emphasis on longevity, not performance. However, once they re abused, rotors are first to start to vibrate in no time.

My sister once had a '99 Camry XLE V6 and she never had this kind of success with her brake pads or rotors. I replace brakes in her Camry 2X by 100K miles.

Could be hose, as stated, or more likely the caliper. Take for a ten minute drive at speed, the problem one will be warm.

Of course, it could always be out back. Don’t fixate on what you touched last, it might be something unrelated.

I had a 98 Camry that I finally sold when it had 200,000 miles on it. It still had the original rotors in great shape with only the second set of pads. Original pads lasted about 130,000 miles. It was my wife's car so the breaks were not babied. From a reliability stand point it was the best car I have ever owned. In that 200,000 miles the only thing I did to it other than routine maintenance was replace the rear sway bar links at 100,000 miles and the thermostat at 160,000 miles. That vintage of Camry were built like tanks. Didn't burn or leak a drop of oil, transmission shifted as smooth as the day I got it and had no rust on the body when I sold it.

I would simulate what is happening when you drive. That is take the wheels off, pump the brakes and then check by hand if the rotors spin freely. Or have some sit in the car apply the brakes and when they release them, you spin the rotors by hand right away.

If the cars sits the built up pressure will dissipate, that is why they spin freely when you check them normally.

Back