Indy 500 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: billt460
They gave Power the race. Why not chance it and just keep running? They had nothing to lose. If you run out it's not like your going to finish any worse.

I'm sure they knew they didn't have enough fuel. It's better to place 15th than last.

Well, I have to say that overall it was a disappointing race for me. The first thing is that there was MUCH less passing with the new car and we were lead to believe it’s design would make it easier to draft and pass. Most of the race was a string of cars running a half second apart holding position.

Secondly, Penske is such an overdog with four top flight drivers in the best equipment that it almost doesn’t seem fair. And of his stable, Will Power is the least likable bloke of the bunch. I was disappointed in the competition and the winner. We were hopeful for Ed Carpenter who dominated early but had nothing for Penske at the end and TK, driving for Foyt, who you just knew wouldn’t last.

Oh well, there’s always next year.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I was kinda disappointed they didn't do anything for Jim Nabors passing away.

At the track, they gave a quick honoring of Nabors on the video screens. I do have to say that Back Home Again in Indiana has never been sung better than the way Jim Cornelison sang it today. I hope he does it for the next 20 years.

Anyone else notice it was not a capacity crowd? There were several open areas of exposed seats lacking fans. That's the first year I can remember the stands not being filled. Certainly much better than Charlotte, but not the usual full house.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I was kinda disappointed they didn't do anything for Jim Nabors passing away.

At the track, they gave a quick honoring of Nabors on the video screens. I do have to say that Back Home Again in Indiana has never been sung better than the way Jim Cornelison sang it today. I hope he does it for the next 20 years.

Good to know they did something at the track. And yes Jim Cornelison is awesome.

Not a bad race but the new aero package has definitely limited passing in comparison to the manufacturer aero-kit era. The Hondas made a good show of it and came on pretty strong near the end, but it was pretty obvious that the Ilmor powered cars had a top-end advantage. I'm not a Will Power fan, but he drove an absolutely flawless race and deserved to win today. But, I'm giving Alex Rossi my driver of the day award from coming from 32nd to challenge at the front. If he had qualified better, he may have had his second 500 under his belt now.

Anyone else notice it was not a capacity crowd? There were several open areas of exposed seats lacking fans. That's the first year I can remember the stands not being filled. Certainly much better than Charlotte, but not the usual full house.

The 100th was the first sellout in years, then attendance fell off again last year. Speedway officials said ticket sales were up versus last year but as you know, they never release attendance figures. Where IMS has made remarkable progress is on Friday’s “Carb Day”. They had a huge crowd for final practice, Indy Lights race and the Pit Stop competition, followed by two brand name concerts. Again no figures but easily 100,000+. And Quals had some interest with the bumping of two cars so, I don’t think we need to worry about the Hulman-George family’s bank account or the viability of future 500s.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Audioquest
Not a bad race but the new aero package has definitely limited passing in comparison to the manufacturer aero-kit era. The Hondas made a good show of it and came on pretty strong near the end, but it was pretty obvious that the Ilmor powered cars had a top-end advantage. I'm not a Will Power fan, but he drove an absolutely flawless race and deserved to win today. But, I'm giving Alex Rossi my driver of the day award from coming from 32nd to challenge at the front. If he had qualified better, he may have had his second 500 under his belt now.

Amen, brother. TK also gave some thrills after falling behind with his puncture. For many of us, it was extremely disappointing that Ed Carpenter was completely powerless when not leading.

As far as Will is concerned, he was frequently my “Elliot Sadler Knucklehead of the Day” award winner for mid-race brain fade resulting in a wreck taking out another competitor. But, I give him his due because he has changed. He used to hate ovals but has forced himself to embrace them (thank Rick Mears). And , if you’re an Indy native, you gotta love a guy that shows so much appreciation for winning the race. Compare to Rossi who wins the big 100th and didn’t have a clue.

Last edited:
Good race and glad a Chevy won but too much time was spent late in the race watching Liz Power pacing, chewing on a water bottle, falling to her knees and generally acting the fool. I know, the excitement of hubby winning his first Indy 500 but it was like she was playing the cameras for all they were worth. I didn’t watch the post race presentations at all. ICBW but she seems to be an oppurtunistic gold digger to me.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Good race and glad a Chevy won but too much time was spent late in the race watching Liz Power pacing, chewing on a water bottle, falling to her knees and generally acting the fool. I know, the excitement of hubby winning his first Indy 500 but it was like she was playing the cameras for all they were worth. I didn’t watch the post race presentations at all. ICBW but she seems to be an oppurtunistic gold digger to me.

There wasn't much post-race, a last middle finger to the fans from ABC. I personally can't stand wife/gf/parent cam.

Originally Posted By: Dwane17
Entertaining and enjoyable race today.

Eddie Cheever was a good driver but is unbearable as a race commentator.

+Infinity

Originally Posted By: Rick505
Originally Posted By: Dwane17
Entertaining and enjoyable race today.

Eddie Cheever was a good driver but is unbearable as a race commentator.

+Infinity

NBCSN's coverage of Carb Day with Paul Tracy and Townsend Bell was significantly better than any of the ABC coverage. They had the right mix of entertainment along with technical insight.

That aero kit is terrible. Let's put all the downforce at the CENTER of the car thereby creating a pivot point. Yeah, that's it!! That's the ticket!! Brilliant!!

I hope they put more downforce in the front and rear wings, near the tires, where you want it to be...

The fact is no matter what they do, auto racing in general is dying. And I seriously doubt there is anything the owners of any of these venues can do to bring it back. You can't make someone watch something they've never been interested in to begin with. Millennial's don't care about auto racing the way generations past did. And it really isn't going to matter what they do to try to improve it. Things like racing, finding a job, sustaining a free country, mean little to nothing to them. Personally, I've given up trying to figure out what does.

The fact is no matter what they do, auto racing in general is dying. And I seriously doubt there is anything the owners of any of these venues can do to bring it back. You can't make someone watch something they've never been interested in to begin with. Millennial's don't care about auto racing the way generations past did. And it really isn't going to matter what they do to try to improve it. Things like racing, finding a job, sustaining a free country, mean little to nothing to them. Personally, I've given up trying to figure out what does.

I don't think auto racing will die but I do think it will become more regional and a special interest. There are too many options on tv at this point. I only watch because of the history and tradition. Not too many folks into that.

It won't die off completely. But the TV rights are going to get cheaper and cheaper as fewer watch. Empty stands don't translate into good sponsorship. The high dollar sponsorships in NASCAR are already disappearing.

The 500 survived the IRL years, so it's not like some empty seats are a disaster. It's still enough of an event to attract 200-300k people.

I do believe auto racing is on a decline, and will not attract enough new fans to compensate for those it will lose due to an aging demographic. The world has changed, and driving a race car, even at 230mph, isn't considered as daring of a feat as it used to be. Many more sports/diversions to fracture the audience, and many more media outlets, with each grabbing a little piece of the pie, instead of a few big slices as before.

Horse racing may provide a good idea of where things are headed. Attendance is down at local tracks, and they are disappearing. Those who still maintain an interest can engage in OTB. Yet there are still the big events like the Triple Crown, that will attract the diehards, but merit just a trivial blurb of attention otherwise.

So, there will still be the 500s, the Daytonas, and Le Mans, but the series built around those marquee events will find it tough going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back