Indy 500 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon
“I haven’t been on the internet, I haven’t heard anything myself, but I’ve heard some stuff from other people — this is in no way Pippa Mann’s fault or anybody else in line’s fault, this is our fault. So if there is anybody out there who has anything bad to say, you don’t know motorsports and keep your mouth shut.”

-Hinchcliffe

Would you happen to have a link to that?

Last paragraph of this story from Racer. I give him credit for the way he's handled everything.

ECR did a good job. Foyt did a good job. Last row for the Unamazing Race boys.

Honda has some work to do during the week.

Forgot to add -- 25/8 was a bad idea in 1996, and the suggestion to resurrect a form of it in 2019 is still a bad idea.

Last edited:
OK, so Hinchcliffe is out (for now). The car qualifies at Indy, not the driver. Other teams are asking too much to sell out to SPM. But, today, Hinch’s rookie teammate crashed his car in the final practice severely damaging it. So, what now? Can the car be repaired or do they need to go to a back up car (ie Hinch’s car)? How about getting that rook out and putting in their veteran driver who BTW, is doing national ads for Honda? It wouldn’t be the first time and no one would miss Robert Wickens.

Last edited:
Hinch is 5th in points and Wickens is 8th. Wouldn't make sense to pull Wickens, they can just pull out his T car if the primary can't be repaired. If Hinch does buy a ride it would make sense to pull their 3rd car that isn't around all season or else buy out another Indy-only house car like Daly.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
no one would miss Robert Wickens.

I think a whole lot of Canadians would disagree with that sentiment.

And many others as well, for a rookie who dominated the first race before the turn one incident, almost held off the defending champion to win the second, reached the podium in another, and almost again in another race.

Nor would Hinch take his best friend's seat, even if he offered it.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
no one would miss Robert Wickens.

I think a whole lot of Canadians would disagree with that sentiment.

And many others as well, for a rookie who dominated the first race before the turn one incident, almost held off the defending champion to win the second, reached the podium in another, and almost again in another race.

Nor would Hinch take his best friend's seat, even if he offered it.

It’s one Canuck for a more popular one. What’s not to like? What’s Jacques doing?

ESPN Classic has been showing reruns of past Indy 500's from the 70's and 80's, in a lead up to Sunday's race. That's when Indy racing was in it's heyday, with all of the great drivers. Along with some really great driving and passing moves. And finish line battles. It's almost funny now, to watch how much Jackie Stewart, (who was part of the ABC broadcast team back then), whined and carried on back then about how he thought the cars were all going, "too fast".

"We must ask ourselves the question, Are we going too fast?".... No Jackie, we weren't. Not back in the 70's when you first asked it. When they were all lapping at 170 MPH. Not in the 80's when you asked it yet again when they were lapping at 200+ MPH. Or today when they're lapping at close to 230 MPH.

He actually said back then, he would like to see them all slowed down by 50 MPH. Because he believed the crowd wouldn't notice. Because they all would be traveling the same speed. I know the guy was a big safety advocate in racing, but Jesus! He must just LOVE NASCAR today! The infield crowds back then were unbelievable!

Exactly billt460.

If the drivers are so super duper safe... Way safer than those poor souls who are driving to and from their event. That is not exactly what people want to see.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Exactly billt460.

If the drivers are so super duper safe... Way safer than those poor souls who are driving to and from their event. That is not exactly what people want to see.

If you are suggesting that fans at the Indy 500 want to see drivers killed or injured, you have no idea what you’re talking about, have no understanding what it is to enjoy auto racing and are simply trying to cause trouble. Is that the definition of a troll?

Happy Race Day!!!

The gates are about to open and the countdown to the 102nd Greatest Spectacle in Racing is ON!

No rain today but we may be begging for it by the end of the race. Forecasters are now calling for the hottest race in history at 93 degrees breaking the record from 1937.

The formula for survival is::

Beer, beer, water, beer beer, water, beer, water, beer, beer, beer, water....fried chicken.

Last edited:
I've seen my share of road races, but never an oval race, so the Indy 500 is a bucket list item for me, along with Le Mans. I do wonder about the logistics of 250k people trying to leave a place at the same time though...

.........I do wonder about the logistics of 250k people trying to leave a place at the same time though...

Back in the 80's it was closer to 400K people. The infield was wide open to spectators back then.

Guess the two cars in the lead that took a pit stop with 4 laps to go must have nearly been running on fumes. Bad way to lose a race.

Glad nobody got hurt with all the crashes. Commentators saying these cars don't have enough down force for the speeds they're hitting the corners and the rear ends are too loose. Seemed like a common crash senaio in this race.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Guess the two cars in the lead that took a pit stop with 4 laps to go must have nearly been running on fumes. Bad way to lose a race.

I didn't understand that. They gave Power the race. Why not chance it and just keep running? They had nothing to lose. If you run out it's not like your going to finish any worse.

No last lap drama, but Power is a deserving winner. But those would have been tremendous finishes for Wilson and Shank.

I'm glad the cars are harder to drive. But they'll probably have to make provisions for more adjustability in the oval kit going forward.

Thankfully, only more weekend of ABC. It might have behooved Goodyear to know that Hildebrand gave up an MIT education to pursue his racing career, so it's no surprise he thinks like an engineer. He's also an adjunct lecturer at Stanford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back