Possibly urgent - does anybody live near the Indy 500?

Folks:

Sue and I are going to the 2024 Indy 500. Ordering tickets has been more challenging than I expected. Apparently tickets are not even released until March, and they are released in batches. Electronic tickets were not an option.

I ordered from Stubhub but they ship the tickets Fedex just 2 days prior to the race. Because Sue and I are traveling from California getting the tickets Fedex'd to our residence will not work.

Are there any BITOG'ers who live in the area so I could have the tickets sent to your residence?

Thanks in advance.

Scott and Sue

I ordered from Stubhub but they ship the tickets Fedex just 2 days prior to the race.
You might want to double-check this as it doesn't make sense. Plenty of people will have to travel days ahead of arrival and won't get their tickets. Just imagine they get delivered to the wrong address or mis-routed and lose 1-2 days transit.

I had a friend not get the tickets that were ordered from Stub Hub.

They don't have any will call?
Tickets bought through Stubhub won't (can't ?) have that option. They're a ticket scalper, errrr, reseller. I can only presume this is to keep people from reselling their tickets.

If tickets are bought through the official method, they do offer will call.

digital tickets on the IMS mobile app:

digital tickets on the IMS mobile app:
The issue is that IMS gives preference to people who have ordered tickets directly from them before. I've been told that some IMS ticket buyers go back decades. Rewarding their loyalty, IMS gives them first dibs on tickets, which some buy and resell.

Go to the IMS website and it is impossible to buy a ticket other than general admission or less than desirable grandstand bench seats on the north side of the track. Tickets in prime locations (sections A, B, and E) get bought up by long term buyers. The only way we can get tickets in these areas is to buy them on the re-sale market.

I'm not a re-sale market kind of guy - I always buy from the venue itself. But in this case, for Sue and me to get seats in prime locations we had no choice but to go through the resale market.

Scott

Tickets bought through Stubhub won't (can't ?) have that option. They're a ticket scalper, errrr, reseller. I can only presume this is to keep people from reselling their tickets.

If tickets are bought through the official method, they do offer will call.
Per the StubHub site, tickets for some events can be picked up locally near the venue at a "Last Minute Services" location. I don't know if the Indy 500 race is such an event. Also, I'm not sure what the issue is with Scott getting the electronic tickets, but I have never purchased a StubHub ticket that did NOT offer e-ticketing

1707941345357.jpg

I used to live in Indy, but now I'm about 30 miles south.

Question for the OP ...
Could you have the tix sent to a Fed Ex shipping/receiving center and held in your name? That would be easy for you to pick them up in the area rather than galavanting across town somewhere. There are several FedEx centers on the west side of Indy not far from the IMS.

I used to live in Indy, but now I'm about 30 miles south.

Question for the OP ...
Could you have the tix sent to a Fed Ex shipping/receiving center and held in your name? That would be easy for you to pick them up in the area rather than galavanting across town somewhere. There are several FedEx centers on the west side of Indy not far from the IMS.
That's a good idea! Thanks!

Scott

Per the StubHub site, tickets for some events can be picked up locally near the venue at a "Last Minute Services" location. I don't know if the Indy 500 race is such an event. Also, I'm not sure what the issue is with Scott getting the electronic tickets, but I have never purchased a StubHub ticket that did NOT offer e-ticketing

View attachment 203555
This is a good lead. Let me check into this.

Scott

Could you have the tix sent to a Fed Ex shipping/receiving center and held in your name?
Even if Stubhub say they can't do that, as soon as you get a tracking #, you should be able to tell Fedex to HOLD them at a center. Wait.... they won't hold them at a center in Indianapolis area though, it will be the "final" delivery center based on the ship-to address.

Per the StubHub site, tickets for some events can be picked up locally near the venue at a "Last Minute Services" location.
This article is quite old now but in 2018, they only had these locations in New York, Chicago, LA, and Dallas.

Look what came via Fedex today. Yay!!! I blanked out the bar code and seat locations.

Scott

View attachment 210681
If those are the actual ticket prices that makes it look relatively affordable compared to F1. My dad and I went to the Denver Cart race way back in the day. I think the tickets were $25 a piece for a relatively good spot. Have fun.

If those are the actual ticket prices that makes it look relatively affordable compared to F1. My dad and I went to the Denver Cart race way back in the day. I think the tickets were $25 a piece for a relatively good spot. Have fun.
Because it's nearly impossible to buy tickets directly from the Speedway, we got these from Stub Hub. We paid $800 each for them.

Scott

Because it's nearly impossible to buy tickets directly from the Speedway, we got these from Stub Hub. We paid $800 each for them.

Scott
Ouch. So StubHub paid $230 each and charged you $800 a piece? Formula 1 is even worse. Nosebleeds start at $500 each. It was said that pit passes/good seats were $6-8 grand per ticket.

Ouch. So StubHub paid $230 each and charged you $800 a piece? Formula 1 is even worse. Nosebleeds start at $500 each. It was said that pit passes/good seats were $6-8 grand per ticket.
I've been a fan of F1 since the late '60s and have been to over a half dozen F1 races. I was addicted to the series at one time but would never pay the ransom that today's elitist F1 charges, especially since actual competition is virtually non-existent. Netflix DTS was the worst thing to ever happen to F1. It turned members of the circus into self-centered, thin skinned, egotistical movie stars.

Paying $800 for Indy 500 tickets is worth it to Sue and me. These are excellent seats, and the 500 is a bucket list race for any racing enthusiast.

I've already been the the 24 Hours of LeMans, and we'll see the 500 this year. My other bucket list race is the Daytona 500, which Sue and I are planning to see in 2025. We'd like to see the Australian V8 Supercars at Bathurst as well. It's a great thing having a wife who likes racing as much as I do. We've been to least 50 races over the decades. The only thing that's changed from the old days is that we now wear hearing protection and sunscreen!

Picture is James Hunt giving Sue's 1979 race program back to her after signing it. It helps being a good looking young woman. Great times!

Scott

James Hunt signing Sue's program at Long Beach 1979.jpg

Last edited:
I've been a fan of F1 since the late '60s and have been to over a half dozen F1 races. I was addicted to the series at one time but would never pay the ransom that today's elitist F1 charges, especially since actual competition is virtually non-existent. Netflix DTS was the worst thing to ever happen to F1. It turned members of the circus into self-centered, thin skinned, egotistical movie stars.

Paying $800 for Indy 500 tickets is worth it to Sue and me. These are excellent seats, and the 500 is a bucket list race for any racing enthusiast.

I've already been the the 24 Hours of LeMans, and we'll see the 500 this year. My other bucket list race is the Daytona 500, which Sue and I are planning to see in 2025. We'd like to see the Australian V8 Supercars at Bathurst as well. It's a great thing having a wife who likes racing as much as I do. We've been to least 50 races over the decades. The only thing that's changed from the old days is that we wear hearing protection and sunscreen nowadays.

Picture is James Hunt giving Sue's 1979 race program back to her after signing it. It helps being a good looking young woman. Great times!

Scott

View attachment 210821
That's really cool. You'll have to drop by Colorado sometime. It sounds like the Bandimere family may have a spot picked out for a new drag strip. I wish they'd go back to the full 1/4 mile. A could of automotive journalists echoed the same thing you mentioned about F1. The costs are insane, it doesn't seem like many of the fans really know whos who. Third after thedrive and other publications have posted that it seems like there are way too many politics with several drivers having their position stripped or whatnot. Wasn't it Ferrari or Sauber that was caught giving team orders a few years back? They wanted the lead driver to give way as to guarantee a podium finish in manufacturers points.

Back