Increased fuel dilution with Shell Gas (1.5T Civic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i would be most inclined to believe GMBoy as no-name fuels prolly use minimum additives + are sourced for the cheapest prices.

Originally Posted by benjy
i would be most inclined to believe GMBoy as no-name fuels prolly use minimum additives + are sourced for the cheapest prices.

Costco says its gasoline have 5X the required additives. And Costco is not your typical low cost/no name retailer.

The chances this engine at 27K miles, with 4-6 OCI running premium with a catch can installed has any deposits are very, very low. I'd say they are close to absolute 0

We use Shell gasoline here at home because it's top tier, local, easy to access and lowest pricing. Though I've noticed that on a long trip from NJ to FL Shell did give a lower mpg than other top tier fuels using their 93 octane fuel. However I don't notice any mpg difference using their 87 octane vs other top tier 87 octane fuels. I can't explain it
21.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted by Whimsey
We use Shell gasoline here at home because it's top tier, local, easy to access and lowest pricing. Though I've noticed that on a long trip from NJ to FL Shell did give a lower mpg than other top tier fuels using their 93 octane fuel. However I don't notice any mpg difference using their 87 octane vs other top tier 87 octane fuels. I can't explain it
21.gif

Whimsey

Well the Shell 93 gas here is about .67 more a gallon than Costco premium.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
21.gif

Whimsey

Wow! around here it's maybe $.05-10 per gallon less expensive at Costco than at my Shell station. At Costco you have to wait in a VERY long line to get fuel and I have to usually drive 10 miles out of my way to get Costco gasoline. Plus I have a Shell discount card for $.05/gallon every day, so it pays for me to get Shell gas. As a bonus our supermarket has you earning Shell reward points. I recently used a $.50/gallon discount Shell reward because of supermarket purchases.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by GMBoy
I wonder if it could just be the Shell gas and it's better additive package is cleaning deposits that the Costco gas has been leaving behind all this time?

Intresting theory it's possible.

Did the weather change? Did driving pattern change? Did driver change? If yes to any of those (among other factors), you have uncontrolled variables clouding the issue.

I purchase Sunoco gas in NY, car clearly gets poor economy and only gets 280 miles per tank. Purchase just over the border in PA and MPG is back to normal, 320 miles per tank. Since this is my commute, the results are repeatable. Same company, different results. God only knows why....

21.gif

Whimsey

Yep. The price difference will choke you.

Originally Posted by BigMoneyGrip
Another vote for a higher percentage of ethanol in the Shell fuel.

Could well be . Also who knows what gas it really is anyways unless you look at the drivers manifest and even then it may not say whose or what it is or what percentage ethanol. They used to mix that stuff in by hand around here, so much gas to so much booze just like baking a cake. Around here as I've said before they all get 2 flavors Mobile and Other which I can just assume relates to whose pipeline mare than anything else. Who really knows what's in it or what came from who? I'm sure this sort of thing comes in all sorts of flavors from players you never even heard of and it varies wildly by location. In the end you are as likely to get a United Nations Of witches brew as that tiger in your tank. Heck one truck driver years ago told me he once even saw some seaweed hanging there when he unhooke the hose .

Another vote here as well. I see the same difference in my area between BP and Shell. Shell gas quite often gives me fewer miles per tank. The BP station I go to also has an ethanol free pump, so I wonder if the delivery truck sometimes mixes the tanks a bit.

Originally Posted by Driz

Could well be . Also who knows what gas it really is anyways unless you look at the drivers manifest and even then it may not say whose or what it is or what percentage ethanol. They used to mix that stuff in by hand around here, so much gas to so much booze just like baking a cake. Around here as I've said before they all get 2 flavors Mobile and Other which I can just assume relates to whose pipeline mare than anything else. Who really knows what's in it or what came from who? I'm sure this sort of thing comes in all sorts of flavors from players you never even heard of and it varies wildly by location. In the end you are as likely to get a United Nations Of witches brew as that tiger in your tank. Heck one truck driver years ago told me he once even saw some seaweed hanging there when he unhooke the hose .

Ok this one is pretty far out there even for BITOG.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Interesting. The first guess would be the fuel is different.

Yes trust me not all gas that comes out of the Pipeline even from the same refiner is of equal quality.

Nope they're not. I used to work at the Chevron Hawaii Refinery and they after blending and shipping, the stations brand puts their own additives.

Shell 92 is $0.65 more than Costco Premium and they're only a couple blocks away from each other.

Last edited:
My dad had a convenience store for many years. Just about every fuel shipment was a different color. One day the fuel might be a yellowish green, the next load would be clear or orangish or redish or about any other color. All of this was from Citgo and the same plant. In reality, we're at the mercy of what the pump says.

So you might have got straight gas or E10 or E??.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back