I'm putting the Redline 0w30 in today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it doesn't use waste veg oils...
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Tell you what I will do then... I will continue to run the RL for a few runs as planned do a UOA and see how it stacks up against my Amsoil UOA's. Then I will switch to RLI and do 5 consecutive runs and do a UOA at the same mileage and see what it shows versus Amsoil/Red Line.

I will post all 3 comparative UOA's here (and at Terry's blog of course) and we can pick the winner based on what we see.

The RLI & RL is about the same price as each other, here in Canada so I'm not worried about the cost.

Sound good?

Sounds great, but it will be years from now. LOL, and my thoughts are the RL and Amsoil will be as good or better than the RLI. Still to new for me, but I will follow it if I'm still around. :)

On a more serious note, the vehicle will be a lot older, and the results will be skewed based on that. Honestly run what you like, I would stick with what has been working well in the past and let someone else experiment. JMO

If they gave me the product for free to test, like some people get from other companies here on Bitog, I'd be happy to step up to the plate. My report would be fair, honest, and unbiased, honestly some companies fear that though.

The rate I put on miles it will not be years from now... Probably by next year. I intend to run short OCI's for the RLI for the first 4 runs to accelerate the "change" and then run a full length OCI for the 5th.

Also the car will have a few more miles on it in between but will show an accurate picture as my engine is properly maintained.

Steve

I intend to run short OCI's for the RLI for the first 4 runs to accelerate the "change" and then run a full length OCI for the 5th.

You're not going to do the same for RL?

RL seems to "get used to" its environment a lot quicker so I will be running only 2 short OCI's with RL then going the full length on the third. If the third still shows high numbers then I will run another OCI and test again.

RL seems to "get used to" its environment a lot quicker so I will be running only 2 short OCI's with RL then going the full length on the third.

It seems like the higher the miles on the engine, the longer RL takes to get settled in.

On formely Dino engines or both them and High Quality syn run engines?

My internals are spotless... All highway miles, high quality real syns its whole life and short OCI's of 6K miles due to high SI levels.

Sounds like perfect conditions for any oil. I'd like to test it on my fleet, severe service conditions, but no one is going to give me the product, and I don't have the cash to be the guinea pig. I might give RL a try though, but the Amsoil ASM is doing fine. Oh these decisions. Good luck with the testing Stevie, my only wish is a test in more severe service.

Will you be allowed to post, or is there some kind of agreement with Mr. Dyson not to post or comment?

I can post the results of the UOA, but can't post his comments on the run...

StevieC, I think that any UOA's you show us are probably going to be the same no matter what oil is used since you do alot of highway driving which would be easy on any oil.

If Biosyn runs $12.00 a quart and a 5 quart jug of Pennzoil Platinum is $20.00 which comes out to $4.00 a quart then the Biosyn would be worth it if the wear numbers were 3 times less, which I doubt would happen.

Originally Posted By: c3po
If Biosyn runs $12.00 a quart and a 5 quart jug of Pennzoil Platinum is $20.00 which comes out to $4.00 a quart then the Biosyn would be worth it if the wear numbers were 3 times less, which I doubt would happen.

Sometimes it isnt so clear cut a decision.

Stevie and others may be willing to pay say...3X more for a certain boutique oil e.g. RLI or RL to get just better wear #s...not necessarily double or 3X better...just better.

Last edited:
My oil change cost is covered by mileage so it isn't a concern for me... For me it's getting the most miles out of my engine as that is the big expense... It is also a hobby.

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge

Stevie and others may be willing to pay say...3X more for a certain boutique oil e.g. RLI or RL to get just better wear #s...not necessarily double or 3X better...just better.

I am just having a hard time believing that Biosyn is going to keep an engine running longer than Redline or Amsoil, where is the cost benefit in using Biosyn.

I am just having a hard time believing that Biosyn is going to keep an engine running longer than Redline or Amsoil, where is the cost benefit in using Biosyn.

I do not believe that for a second.

But this cost benefit analysis doesn't just apply to RLI. It could even be the choice between synthetic vs. dino, whatever. Lots of BITOGers are willing to pay more for an oil to get not proportionately better wear #s.

I think c3po is trying to say the Biosyn is not going to be any better than RL or Amsoi's proven premium products. Judging from what I've seen here I'm pretty certain it won't be. I agree, and would also add since it is fairly new why risk being the guinea pig? If there is free product and testing involved since StevieC spends a lot of time posting here, and knows his way around an engine then go for it. His results aren't going to prove much either way since he logs a lot of miles. We'll never know based on that how it will hold up in severe service unless someone else tests it in severe service applications.

Same goes for these 18,000 or 20,000 mile OCI's you read about. Take the same oil in severe service and there is a good chance that oil is toast in 8,000 or less miles.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
I think c3po is trying to say the Biosyn is not going to be any better than RL or Amsoi's proven premium products. Judging from what I've seen here I'm pretty certain it won't be. I agree, and would also add since it is fairly new why risk being the guinea pig? If there is free product and testing involved since StevieC spends a lot of time posting here, and knows his way around an engine then go for it. His results aren't going to prove much either way since he logs a lot of miles. We'll never know based on that how it will hold up in severe service unless someone else tests it in severe service applications.

Same goes for these 18,000 or 20,000 mile OCI's you read about. Take the same oil in severe service and there is a good chance that oil is toast in 8,000 or less miles.

Thanks, AD

I do not see Biosyn being any better than Redline or Amsoil, and we can also add Pennzoil Platinum to the list.

Tell you what I will do then... I will continue to run the RL for a few runs as planned do a UOA and see how it stacks up against my Amsoil UOA's. Then I will switch to RLI and do 5 consecutive runs and do a UOA at the same mileage and see what it shows versus Amsoil/Red Line.

I will post all 3 comparative UOA's here (and at Terry's blog of course) and we can pick the winner based on what we see.

The RLI & RL is about the same price as each other, here in Canada so I'm not worried about the cost.

Sound good?

I will say this, first you support this site by donating money to it then what you said above, you are an asset to BITOG community. I salute you Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back