I'm looking for a treatment for door gaskets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FastEddie
Wurth Rubber Care Silicone Free

This is what we use at work. Anything with silicone in it and any body shop will absolutely hate you.

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
Best I've seen is the 'Gummi Pflege Stift' bottle.

Agree 100%.

After it dries, will not collect dirt or stain clothes.

Expect to pay $10 on Amazon, but a small bottle lasts a long time.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

Anything with silicone in it and any body shop will absolutely hate you.

Body shops quit caring a long time ago where you use silicone on your car. Silicone is a common ingredient in even car waxes as well as rubber dressings and just about every other car car product you can think of.
A car is either "Cleaned, Prepped and Degreased" before it is painted or it isn't.

Originally Posted By: Scdevon

Body shops quit caring a long time ago where you use silicone on your car. Silicone is a common ingredient in even car waxes as well as rubber dressings and just about every other car car product you can think of.
A car is either "Cleaned, Prepped and Degreased" before it is painted or it isn't.

"Good" and "Quality" body shops 100% care and still do. I do tons of detail work for body shops and they have signs all over the shop in sensitive areas that say NO SILICONE. Especially aerosol silicone products. Spraying some silicone junk near the spray booth is No Bueno. I would suggest you start using quality body shops that actually "care". They may charge a little more, but at least the give a darn.

"Good" and "Quality" body shops 100% care and still do. I do tons of detail work for body shops and they have signs all over the shop in sensitive areas that say NO SILICONE. Especially aerosol silicone products. Spraying some silicone junk near the spray booth is No Bueno. I would suggest you start using quality body shops that actually "care". They may charge a little more, but at least the give a darn.

I think that there is a big difference between applying a silicone product in your driveway vs. spraying silicone in a body shop.

[/quote]

[/quote]
"Good" and "Quality" body shops 100% care and still do. I do tons of detail work for body shops and they have signs all over the shop in sensitive areas that say NO SILICONE. Especially aerosol silicone products. Spraying some silicone junk near the spray booth is No Bueno. I would suggest you start using quality body shops that actually "care". They may charge a little more, but at least the give a darn.[/quote]
I think that there is a big difference between applying a silicone product in your driveway vs. spraying silicone in a body shop.
[/quote]
With bad body shops, the difference is negligible. I have had to "try" and buff more than one bad paint job.

I'll add to the recommendation for Nextzett Gummi Pflege. Not too expensive (especially for a German product) and readily available via Amazon.

It's the closest thing I've come across to the beloved old BMW Gummi Pflege ("Rubber Care") gel that came in a tube. The applicator sucks though, so just wet a towel and apply it that way.

The thing about these two products is that they don't act like greases; the carrier evaporates and leaves a slick, softened surface that won't stain windows if given enough time to dry. If not glyercine-based, it certain acts like it (slick and hygroscopic).

I'd save my Syl-Glide for my brakes, even if it didn't gum up after time.

I use a Permatex silicone spray about $7 to $9 a can at most any auto part store, but there are other brands like Liquid Wrench or WD40. Silicone works well for rubber weather seal. During ice storms here in Nebraska the weatherstip can ice over and tear off when you open the door and this will not happen if you rub a bit of silicone on the weatherstrip every year or 2. A small ampunt sprayed in the window track helps the electric windows move up and down smoothly as well.

Vaseline works great and keeps them soft and pliable...lasts quite a while too...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
I use shin etsu grease

Me too, it works well and lasts a long time.

ANy info or thoughts on using DOt 5 (silicone) brake fluid? I've heard it talked about before, but can't remember what the consensus was...

Originally Posted By: buck91
ANy info or thoughts on using DOt 5 (silicone) brake fluid? I've heard it talked about before, but can't remember what the consensus was...

I have been using it since it was suggested on this forum a couple of years ago. I think it is an excellent treatment/preservative for body gaskets. Dampen a paper towel with it and rub it in - easy peasy.

Not our body shop. Silicone is a nightmare for them. They once had a contractor in the shop who used some silicone spray. Took them a entire day to decontaminate the shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back