Illegal fireworks bust

Fireworks aren't manufactured here; they're imported.
We can't inspect what comes into this country?
We can't lean on guys like these for info and go upstream to higher dealers, warehouses and trucking companies?
No we can't. Lots of stuff makes it into the US without undergoing inspection by customs. That's why it's known as smuggling.

I'm as anti-nanny state as they come, but certain areas of California and other Southwest states are like a tinderbox with terrible fires every summer. I've got no problem with reasonable limits on the storage and use of fireworks on a regional basis as long as its rational.

Last edited:
We are in the middle of another serious drought. I cannot warsh a car with a garden hose. Every year there are fires from idiots with illegal fireworks. Emergency rooms are full of burn patients.
Not to mention scaring the crap outta cats and dogs.

I hate fireworks.

Los Angeles: a place where it is now illegal for a restaurant to give you an unsolicited plastic fork but if you identify as homeless you can live, ****, deal, and shoot up within 10 feet of a grade school with free reign. I'm glad I don't live in the city of LA, total trash dump.

I worked with a kid who was in the middle of a series of reconstructive hand surgeries due to a reservation obtained mortar. He was making installment payments on the "play stupid games win stupid prizes" plan.

Those who are basking in their freedom as they shoot fireworks off above a lake in some green, steamy part of the country might not understand just how dry much of the West is. I don't know if Porterville is quite as arid as Northern Nevada, but we're talking about a place where sparks from target shooting can start fires that burn down people's houses. Washoe Sheriff Warning

My grandfather was always grumbling that I was going to burn the haystacks up on our high plains farm. I did set a ditch on fire with one of those jumping frog things that were legal, where firecrackers and bottle rockets weren't. Considering the grass fires across Texas and the plains in the last few years, I got off lucky.

Google tells me that only MA bans all fireworks. Various types are legal in most states, but localities can have tighter laws than the state. Go figure, even sparklers are illegal in the county where I live now.

Porterville is mostly surrounded by farmland, but also lots of dry grasslands. But it's pretty close to forest lands like Sequoia National Forest and Sequoia National Park.

As for manufacturing, it's kind of weird. I remember hearing that a lot of the big fireworks display companies would make their own fireworks. Obviously stuff that's bigger and badder than stuff that might be legal for sale to unlicensed users in some states. However, these days there's just so much that's made in China that they can probably get anything they need imported and much cheaper than being made in the US. I've parked my car under where a professional fireworks show was, and some of the wadding fell on my car. It was cardboard similar to the kind of stuff one sees in Chinese packaging.

Porterville is mostly surrounded by farmland, but also lots of dry grasslands. But it's pretty close to forest lands like Sequoia National Forest and Sequoia National Park.

As for manufacturing, it's kind of weird. I remember hearing that a lot of the big fireworks display companies would make their own fireworks. Obviously stuff that's bigger and badder than stuff that might be legal for sale to unlicensed users in some states. However, these days there's just so much that's made in China that they can probably get anything they need imported and much cheaper than being made in the US. I've parked my car under where a professional fireworks show was, and some of the wadding fell on my car. It was cardboard similar to the kind of stuff one sees in Chinese packaging.
Most of the large display companies make their own stuff.. Ever see the Dirty Jobs show that does exactly that? Yea, no way I'd be in a room with that much powder, ever.

Most of the large display companies make their own stuff.. Ever see the Dirty Jobs show that does exactly that? Yea, no way I'd be in a room with that much powder, ever.

They might be assembling that, but I was under the impression that most of the basic parts are made in China now.

They made every single component of the entire thing there. The shell, the powder, each individual colored powder, they rolled it into balls, packed the shell, tied it shut, papered it. Made the lift charge powder, put it in the cylinder, papered it shut. Tied them together then papered it up.

All the professional grades are made here.

Black Cat fireworks are made in the USA

A lot are actually made here.

And yes, crap does come in from China too, but the amount we make here is pretty encouraging though.

I must clarify:
I understand fireworks aren't high up on the "bad things" list society has to deal with. I wasn't comparing enforcement against one over the other.
But if there is law enforcement involved, it makes sense to me that big truckloads of pyro are more easily traced back than packets of drugs.

I had no idea pyrotechnics were made here. I'd like to know what percentage of total production is done in the USA. I bet it's very low.

In my opinion, the cost of forest fires and related medical bills (as in insurance claims) is what will spur any enforcement.

As with a lot of stuff, you can blow your hands apart, just don't sheepishly look to insurance pools to pay your medical bills.
Yeah, you know, I think maybe without understanding legal fireworks in many states I can see how you may feel this way.

1. Legal fireworks are actually rated, they can not burn after hitting the ground, yes, they have a fire rating to prevent the fires you speak of. Though I guess like anything in life, the threat is greatly minimized but can not be ruled out due to a malfunction.

2. With Legal fireworks its very hard to blow you hands apart but again you are biased against fireworks and not government telling you what you can and can't do.
Respectfully, again, forget the old insurance argument too, we are a free people and far, far, far more people are hurt in everyday sports and activities that can be regarded as dangerous and the biggest greatest most expensive medical insurance cost to mankind is the poor eating habits of Americans and controlling their weight.
I hate bringing this up but respectfully (and I am sincere saying it) Insurance cost is always brought up when someone doesn't like an activity but just re-read my sentence about eating habits and nothing comes close on a scale of 100,000 to 1.
We see that argument when it comes to wearing a motorcycle helmets also, hey, lets pick on skydiving, mountain climbing, rock climbing, skiing, really now, these activities aren't even a tiny needle in a haystack vs how we eat.

3. So if you are going to start picking nd choosing "insurance pools" lets start with people who smoke, drink and weight more then they should because nothing else on planet earth increases insurance costs like that does. ;)

Last edited:
A lot of anything explosive stored in a vehicle or building is a big risk. That truck was on the street. Suppose there had been an accident or a fire? That's one reason the authorities get uptight about illicit fireworks.
You mean like your car or truck having 20 gallons of gas in the gas tank?

"Illegal Fireworks"

635674756736077912-Mad-Max-still-23-5cfd6d12-6fdd-e411-b7d2-d4ae527c3b65-.jpg.jpeg

Back