iH McCormick WD6 tractor

I'm not familiar with that series. I would presume it's old, and offered both gas and diesel engines?
Any risk in that it might be rated for a non-detergent lube?

That has a diesel engine, right? I would think a diesel-rated 10W30, 30, or 15W40 would be fine.

The WD-6 is the diesel version of the W-6. 4.1 liter 4 cylinder liquid cooled "I" head engine. They were made from @ 1940-1952. My grandfather had a Super WD-6. Those were made from @ 1953- @ 1955, and that model had a 4.3 liter diesel engine.

Though designed around straight weight oils, the 15W-40 would be the right weight for either engine.

The WD-6 is the diesel version of the W-6. 4.1 liter 4 cylinder liquid cooled "I" head engine. They were made from @ 1940-1952. My grandfather had a Super WD-6. Those were made from @ 1953- @ 1955, and that model had a 4.3 liter diesel engine.

Though designed around straight weight oils, the 15W-40 would be the right weight for either engine.
Sorry your post came in while I was slowly typing, didn't mean to say the same as you, I'm just a little slow.

Sorry your post came in while I was slowly typing, didn't mean to say the same as you, I'm just a little slow.
No worries . . . it happens. Since you brought up other oil weights, I don't recall my grandfather using anything but Rotella 15W40 in the diesels (the Super WD6 McCormick and the Cat D4) . This was in the 1950s and 1960s, long before Rotella had T4, T5, T6 and so on. The gas tractors had 10W30, as long as it had at least an SC rating (back then). He had engine block heaters in all of them, including the gas powered Farmalls. In the winter we'd be starting essentially a warm engine. The house/shed/barn was 3/4 of a mile from the main road, so during winter when storms would dump the white stuff, if you couldn't plow your own way out, well . . it just sucked being you.

:)

I'm not familiar with that series. I would presume it's old, and offered both gas and diesel engines?
Any risk in that it might be rated for a non-detergent lube?

It is a gas start then shifts over to diesel to run.

Sounds like a 15w40 would be just great.

For now, she’s just towing a brush hog (that has its own motor) so I don’t beat up my ATV.

I didn’t realize this didn’t have a three point hitch :)

Sounds like a 15w40 would be just great.

For now, she’s just towing a brush hog (that has its own motor) so I don’t beat up my ATV.

I didn’t realize this didn’t have a three point hitch :)
What location are you in? Plans to run in the winter also?

Do you still use the starter tank on gas and then swap it over?

You might be able to find a three point kit for that machine. I know there are several options for the other letter series machines.

Centra NY. Late spring through late fall only (mowing).

Yes, I hear they have to use the gas and switch over. Would never start on diesel.

Pics. Picking her up tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_5851.jpeg
    IMG_5851.jpeg
    215.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5850.jpeg
    IMG_5850.jpeg
    258.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5849.jpeg
    IMG_5849.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 19
Those are really cool tractors, start on gasoline then when warmed up you flip a lever and it switches over to diesel fuel. It was a huge leap forward at the time for IH, since many of the other diesel engines at the time (like Caterpillar and Deere) used additional pony gas engines to start the larger diesel engine. I wouldn't hesitate to use a good 15w40 in it, that is way better than anything offered when it was new.

Looks like a real nice machine. Still has the aux fuel tank and the drip tray under the carb.

You could run 10w-30 or 15w-40 with no issues in the warmer months. Might be a slow starter in winter on the thicker stuff, but shouldn't give you problems.

I hope you enjoy it! Do you know if it has a fast hitch?

Back