Farmall H Transmission Fluid

Jordan_FX4

$50 Site Donor 2022
Hey all, I’m getting ready to change the transmission/rear end fluid in a Farmall H that I just acquired and was wondering what people’s thoughts are on GL5 rated 80W-90? From what I’ve found it originally called for straight 90W gear oil. I wasn’t sure if there is anything in GL5 rated fluid that would be incompatible with the gears in these old tractors. If not I have 6 gallons of Case IH fluid ready to go for it. Thanks in advance for any insight!

IMG_0939.jpeg

IMG_0940.jpeg

... Is that PTO drive as dangerous as it looks?

LoL, have to agree with you. Safety standards where quite different in the past…

Boy that is nice looking. The added EP in the GL5 shouldn’t mess with the rear end in that. AFAIK, the issue comes up with alloy synchronizers in some transmissions but shouldn’t be an issue in this application.

Mobil 1 Delvac 50, 90 weight…

Very nice unit. Were you able to determine the year? Not sure about the fluid, but I can't imagine any reason that 85w-90 would not work. Is that PTO drive as dangerous as it looks?
Thank you, it’s a smooth running little tractor! This one’s a 1946 model. The PTO and really many things on old equipment can definitely be a little dangerous if one’s not careful. A lot of people my grandparent’s age are missing fingers and fingertips from the snap rings on old corn pickers and other farm incidents.

Is that PTO drive as dangerous as it looks?

Yeah, they really are. I ran an H that looked exactly like this when I was a kid. You were taught that when the PTO was running you didn't go near them. If you think the naked pulley dangerous, that's nothing compared to putting a belt between the pulley and a driven implement. The only thing I ever used that was driven from a pulley like this was a buzz saw. Probably the most dangerous set-up you could possibly come up with.

I have always used 90wt GL-1 in my old Fords and Farmalls
Creekside, thanks for the reply! Any particular reason for sticking with the 90wt GL-1 over a multi-grade?

Also, what engine oil do you run in your old gas tractors? I was planning on going with 15W-40 just to keep things simple. Thanks again!

Shell Rotella T5 semi synthetic in 15W-40 would be my choice…

Those old tractors engine gaskets may leak with full synthetic…

I found an old post on a tractor forum where someone posted scans from an original H owners manual. It said to use 140 or 160 weight for normal temps. A modern 85w-140 would seem perfect assuming no yellow metals in there.

post-35373-1260557131.jpg

Creekside, thanks for the reply! Any particular reason for sticking with the 90wt GL-1 over a multi-grade?

Also, what engine oil do you run in your old gas tractors? I was planning on going with 15W-40 just to keep things simple. Thanks again!
Any HDEO 15w40 or 30wt will work for your engine. Run whatever is available to you. I’ve used Rotella, Schaeffer and MFA(local coop brand). These old engines are super easy on oil even if you work it hard. Biggest thing is to drop the pan and clean it out. Many of mine ran on non detergent oil back in the day and we’re sludged up like crazy.

My fords have some yellow metals in the transmission that GL-1 is safer for. I can’t remember if Farmall does or not. It would be the closest product available to what they had new.

I got a LONG story on an IH H tractor. Grab your theater-sized popcorn and Coke...or bail now. This would have happened in the early 80s.
I grew up on a dairy farm and Holstein cows like to eat. During the winter, we had to have a heated building so the silage wagon wouldn't freeze, so we (dad and I) had to put up wood every weekend during the winter to heat our silage wagon shed. We were putting up wood in a new area one weekend and we saw an IH H sitting out in the field....with no can on the exhaust. Dad talked to the land owner about the tractor. He said he had got a flat on the tractor and just left it sit out in the field for several years. Again, with no covering on the exhaust. I was fresh out of automotive tech school, still living at home and dad knew where to get free mechanic services. :cool: He didn't have to think long about making an offer on this tractor and he did. We pulled it home and I immediately tore the engine apart. This engine has a "dry" cylinder sleeve. Since the exhaust had been open so long, two pistons had to be pounded out of the block and the dry sleeves came with it. I talked dad into doing a complete overhaul on the H. I got a set of pop-up domed pistons from Tractor Supply. This was when Tractor Supply actually sold tractor parts. New sleeves came with the pistons and I did everything right overhauling this engine. The crankshaft and the rods came back from the machine shop and the clearances were just a little too tight according to spec, but I assembled it anyway. I got it together and the engine took right off and sounded sweet. The oil pressure pegged the gauge (thanks to it being tight), but the needle backed off when it got warm.
Dad was a John Deere 2-cylinder tractor man, but this became one of his favorite for one reason only: The International Harvester H has a fantastic road gear. You can't pull much at that speed, but it goes down the road much faster than a John Deere two-banger.
Dad has long passed, but mom still has it in one of her back sheds. It hasn't run for years, but I'm certain with new gas and a battery, it would take right off. My dad was too tight to ever have it painted, so it's still has the original patina. It has a buzz saw on it that saw many, many hours of dangerous use, but that's what you used back then. It also has a spin-on oil filter that I engineered myself. I'm not saying it's any better than a factory filter, just a lot cleaner to change. OP, you've got a good looking tractor. BTW, mom keeps telling me to get this out of her shed and take it home, but I collect Oliver tractors.

Attachments

• h2.JPG
    h2.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 24
  • h3.JPG
    h3.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 24
Kruse, that’s a great tractor you have there and even better history to go with it!

Oliver made some great tractors too. I have a lot of fond memories of time spent on my grandpa’s Oliver 1650 as a young kid.

Back