Ag Wet Sleeve Diesel Engine Coolant

Hi all, running some older tractors from the 80's that both have wet sleeve diesel engines. Would like to get a good coolant to use in both (one is a JD and other is IH).

How does the Shell Rotella ELC stack up to something like Cool-Gard II by JD?

Looking to flush both systems with distilled water and potentially some cleaner and putting in a good coolant that will last a while.

I tend to like Shell products because they are easy to get near me (Rural King, Walmart, etc.).

Equipment is fairly new to me, but runs well. Would like keep it that way.

Oh man, why did I go down this rabbit hole? Maybe because I maintain a fleet of tractors at my work place.

First, there seemed to be 3 Rotella ELC products up to a few years ago: Rotella Ultra, Rotella ELC NF, and Rotellat ELC. It "seems" that the Rotella Ultra was dropped in the past year or two and maybe superseded by the Rotella ELC NF.

From the thread below (info not confirmed), it "seems" like a difference between the Rotella ELC NF and John Deere Coolgard II regards 2-EHA. The Rotella has it, the John Deere does not. I am (old man) biased against 2-EHA (maybe unfounded) and therefore my choice would be the John Deere product. I use the CoolGard II without issue in my workplace tractors at 4 year change intervals. The extra initial cost over 4 years is moot to me.

Current Shell Website: https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/products/coolants/elc-nitrite-free-coolants.html
vs.
Old list below:

Attachments

• 1703703747501.jpeg
    1703703747501.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I was going to mention the @ EHA as possibly being an issue. It is nice we have so many varied industry professionals to help us .

Hi all, running some older tractors from the 80's that both have wet sleeve diesel engines. Would like to get a good coolant to use in both (one is a JD and other is IH).

How does the Shell Rotella ELC stack up to something like Cool-Gard II by JD?

Looking to flush both systems with distilled water and potentially some cleaner and putting in a good coolant that will last a while.

I tend to like Shell products because they are easy to get near me (Rural King, Walmart, etc.).

Equipment is fairly new to me, but runs well. Would like keep it that way.
I have a 68 3020D with wet sleeves, just go get the JD stuff and save yourself a lot of time.

Any diesel coolant should work for the engine. But the long life coolants can eat the solder out of radiators.
It's very difficult to argue against a professional radiator guy, lol. I've been using Coolgard/Coolgard II for over 35 years in my workplace John Deere tractors with no issues.

Can you elaborate on the solder issue? Thank you.

Edit, did a search: https://www.google.com/search?q=Doe...rQIoBHoECCMQBQ&biw=1760&bih=829&dpr=1.09#ip=1

And, I know that JD bias's their data, but here it is anyway:

Last edited:
I know from my extensive research on the F-450 that IH (& Ford) doesn't recommend ELC with their front covers on their IDI diesels, it's hard on the gaskets. Definitely need SCAs on wet sleeves, though-and a coolant filter never hurts (if it doesn't have one already).

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I've got some things to learn on Coolants.

I don't have much issue going with Cool-Guard II. I have a JD dealer close but their parts counter is pretty lousy. Actually order from Green parts store online and try to avoid them, but could get coolant there. I do run Hy Guard in my JD.

It's very difficult to argue against a professional radiator guy, lol. I've been using Coolgard/Coolgard II for over 35 years in my workplace John Deere tractors with no issues.

Can you elaborate on the solder issue? Thank you.

Edit, did a search: https://www.google.com/search?q=Doe...rQIoBHoECCMQBQ&biw=1760&bih=829&dpr=1.09#ip=1

And, I know that JD bias's their data, but here it is anyway:
All I know is that the long life coolants ate right through the solder. Ruins the core. Boss gave no warranty if a long life coolant was used. Saw it many times.

All I know is that the long life coolants ate right through the solder. Ruins the core. Boss gave no warranty if a long life coolant was used. Saw it many times.
What kind of time are we talking?

I don’t know what I’m talking about so take what I say with a grain of salt, but many OE coolants are long life nowadays correct?

Not too many radiators with solder nowadays I’m assuming so say I have an old John Deere 4010 with a fresh rebuilt radiator, I’d use nothing but Coolgard and your prior boss would say that is a no go?

What is a quality non LL coolant?

Knock on wood, but I’m going on 3-5 years (various machines) with soldered radiators and LL coolants.

I ended up using peak fleet charge (which is a conventional coolant with SCA added) on my little Bolens/Iseki diesel from the 80s. It does not have wet sleeves, however, having gone down the rabbit hole myself, it was going to be that or cool guard II. Some older gasket material can have issues with coolant that uses 2EHA and mine likely has original (older) gaskets. Coolant that meets CES14603 (if I remember correctly) does not contain 2EHA.
There are a handful of companies that do show the material loss via corrosion testing - ASTM 1384 (xerex in particular) for a variety of metals you may have in your system if you have concerns about copper/solder.

Back