Ignition would not unlock and turn forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Ive installed several Dorman parts, and I always end up going back and buying OE ford part. The most recent was the oil cooler hoses I put on my car. I had the same issue. It was $35 for the Dorman hose set vs $150 for the Ford set. I put the dorman ones on. Within a year the rubber sheath on the outside of the hose was cracked wide open, letting water into the steel braid that reinforces the hose. Letting it rust away and weaken the hose. A few months ago I bought the $150 Ford hoses and replaced the 2 year old Dorman ones as I was not happy with leaving the potential engine failure on the table to a set of ever weakening oil cooler hoses.

I mean, if this is something you wanna trade in or sell in the next year, then yeah, save your money on the Dorman. But if you're planning on keeping the rig, just remember the original part made 15 years and 160,000mi.

now this is the kind of info I was looking for - thanks! will keep it in mind -

This isn't a catch-all for every car, but if it happens again, and your ignition can turn backwards into aux power position, try his: press in the brake, pull the wheel hard left, and twist the key backwards.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
This isn't a catch-all for every car, but if it happens again, and your ignition can turn backwards into aux power position, try his: press in the brake, pull the wheel hard left, and twist the key backwards.

no, my truck doesn't do that - it only goes forward - aux is forward but halfway, then forward again to start. no backwards motion ever. but thanks anyway

Originally Posted By: Bluebonnet

no, my truck doesn't do that - it only goes forward - aux is forward but halfway, then forward again to start. no backwards motion ever. but thanks anyway

It should, and that's probably related to the other symptom of it not turning forward.

Halfway forward, the position the key sits in after starting, is "on." This position turns on things such as the fuel pump, and you will see the diagnostic lights (check engine, seat belt, air bag, etc.) in the gauge cluster come on. The key should be able to turn back from the "off" position to the accessory position, which just powers the radio, any outlets that aren't powered in off, etc.

So I just went to Rockauto's website and looked up a lock cylinder for your 03 Ranger. The Dorman set is for trucks WITHOUT a chipped key. That won't work in your truck. I'm honestly not sure why they even list that as an option. As far as I know, all 03 Rangers have the chipped keys. If you installed that set in your truck, the truck will not start. The truck's computer will be expecting to see the chip in the key. If there's no chip, it won't let the truck start. The truck will only start if the computer recognizes your specific key that's been programmed to your specific computer. So no matter which brand key or cylinder you buy, you're gonna have to get it programmed. There's no way around it. There's no such thing as a "pre-programmed" key.

I had to replace a faulty computer in my Explorer. I installed a used computer from a junkyard. After I installed the new (used) computer, it still wouldn't start because the computer wasn't programmed to my specific key; it was still programmed to the junked Explorer's key. I had to tow it to the Ford dealer so they could reprogram the computer so it would accept my existing key. After they reprogrammed it, it started up fine.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

It should, and that's probably related to the other symptom of it not turning forward.

Halfway forward, the position the key sits in after starting, is "on." This position turns on things such as the fuel pump, and you will see the diagnostic lights (check engine, seat belt, air bag, etc.) in the gauge cluster come on. The key should be able to turn back from the "off" position to the accessory position, which just powers the radio, any outlets that aren't powered in off, etc.

I really don't think this is related or a problem - I've been driving it since 2009 and if it was, it wouldn't just now act up. besides, it's fine now since I changed the key to the spare. I totally get what an aux is about but really am not that concerned about this - also it's pretty clear there's no visible place for the ignition switch to turn backwards. that is, when it's off, it's all the way back. I have run the radio with the switch on and it's fine.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
So I just went to Rockauto's website and looked up a lock cylinder for your 03 Ranger. The Dorman set is for trucks WITHOUT a chipped key. That won't work in your truck. I'm honestly not sure why they even list that as an option. As far as I know, all 03 Rangers have the chipped keys. If you installed that set in your truck, the truck will not start. The truck's computer will be expecting to see the chip in the key. If there's no chip, it won't let the truck start. The truck will only start if the computer recognizes your specific key that's been programmed to your specific computer. So no matter which brand key or cylinder you buy, you're gonna have to get it programmed. There's no way around it. There's no such thing as a "pre-programmed" key.

I had to replace a faulty computer in my Explorer. I installed a used computer from a junkyard. After I installed the new (used) computer, it still wouldn't start because the computer wasn't programmed to my specific key; it was still programmed to the junked Explorer's key. I had to tow it to the Ford dealer so they could reprogram the computer so it would accept my existing key. After they reprogrammed it, it started up fine.

Joe, my mechanic, was trying to explain this exact same issue about the chip. but the way I understood it was that I needed to do more than replace the key - which is why I was looking at this entire set on Rock Auto.

so the chip on the truck is not in the ignition then? I thought it was the ignition and the keys that matched - but if the chip is elsewhere, what you are saying makes sense.

I will call Ford and talk to someone there tomorrow. thanks for your input - I appreciate it.

I really don't think this is related or a problem - I've been driving it since 2009 and if it was, it wouldn't just now act up. besides, it's fine now since I changed the key to the spare. I totally get what an aux is about but really am not that concerned about this - also it's pretty clear there's no visible place for the ignition switch to turn backwards. that is, when it's off, it's all the way back. I have run the radio with the switch on and it's fine.

Okay...it may not be a problem as in "I don't use the accessory position so it's not bothering me," but if the cylinder will not turn to the accessory position, there is a problem with it, and that was the first symptom. The next symptom was not being able to turn the more worn key at all. The only reason the key you're using now is "fine" is because it is less worn. As the tumblers wear more, and the key wears more, the problem may or may not produce further symptoms. But yes, there is a problem with the ignition cylinder in your truck if it will not turn to the accessory position, and it is very likely related to the more worn key not turning at all. Not turning is a physical, mechanical problem with the pieces inside the cylinder or the key itself, or more likely both.

If your ignition cylinder won't do this, there IS something wrong with it...

That video is from today, of my 2002 Ranger with the factory original ignition cylinder and factory original key.

The sure fire, guaranteed fix is to buy a replacement Ford ignition cylinder, which comes with tumblers, springs, etc., and buy two new keys, preferably OE keys or Strattec brand (an OE supplier). Replace the cylinder, replace the keys by tracing the new ones off the best one you have, or noting the tumbler #s and giving that to the person cutting the keys, and be done with it.

There is an aftermarket replacement for PATS systems, Standard Motor Products part # US280L, however, programming of the new keys will be required after installation, and you will have separate keys for doors and ignition as bdcardinal mentioned earlier. Option #1, the Ford cylinder, retains the same key code as your doors, so that you can unlock your doors and turn the ignition with the same key.

We're just trying to help and give you the information you're asking for. Every Ranger has an accessory position, and yes, while you can play the radio in the on position, you're running a bunch of other stuff like the truck's computer that doesn't need to run and will drain the battery faster. The accessory position is there for a reason. And besides, it failing was just the first symptom of your truck having a worn out ignition cylinder, which obviously presented bigger issues later when it had to be towed.

We're just trying to help and give you the information you're asking for. Every Ranger has an accessory position, and yes, while you can play the radio in the on position, you're running a bunch of other stuff like the truck's computer that doesn't need to run and will drain the battery faster. The accessory position is there for a reason. And besides, it failing was just the first symptom of your truck having a worn out ignition cylinder, which obviously presented bigger issues later when it had to be towed.

truthfully, if you want to help - and much of this has been helpful - but you have to read what people write.

no one - NO one - can tell me I've had an ignition problem ongoing for 8 years that has only now manifested itself. I've put nearly 60,000 miles on myself, including 2 cross-country trips in that time. extreme heat, extreme cold. all good.

second - the spare key works because it's a brand new key - it's never been used, hence the moniker "spare"

next - your truck is not the same as mine - I have an Edge, for one thing, maybe they are different - it's also a 2003 - maybe the original owner had something done to the ignition so it doesn't turn backwards - I don't know - I have the Car Facts history, nothing was mentioned - it's always been this way, like I said, so I'm not overly concerned about that.

further - I did *not* get towed - read the original post again please.

lastly - I stated a few posts back I was going to reach out to Ford about this so what's w/the continued badgering? let it go fellas - it's all good - thanks for your help - let's all say good nite and leave it alone - everything's going to be fine - I have no doubt whatsoever - thanks again!

33.gif

Thanks for reminding me why I don't like selling keys or key cylinders to the public.

33.gif

Thanks for reminding me why I don't like selling keys or key cylinders to the public.

38.gif
18.gif

yes because it's too much effort to actually pay attention to what people are saying/writing - let it go - no one ever asked to buy anything from you - !

fyi, this is a discussion forum - as the graphic implies - the topic is over, done, caput! have a nice life
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back