Nastf

I just read that within 6 months this volunteer organization will lock down key makes.

"NASTF’s aftermarket scan tool validation program is coming soon. As soon as 45-60 days, you will need a NASTF VSP ID to use a scan tool to perform security functions including:

Add a key
All keys lost
Immobilizer functions
Any other process that the OE determines to be security related
You will be responsible for verifying the identity of the vehicle owner, but you are not required to fill out a D1. The tool and NASTF will take care of this process behind the scenes."

Nothing really new. I can't program a replacement transmission module for my 2007 Mercedes because it's considered a security part.
That was my point this morning. We are supposed to be a right to repair if we own our vehicle, however according to him to many thefts so consumers have to pay the price. The consideration is maintenance should be the only right to repair. People have been fighting this for years.
If I want to make or reprogram a key after pcm replacement I would have to own a locksmith business and pay 425 for 2 years with a million dollar insurance plan or get a locksmith to come out and program my keys or trust a shop to diagnose right the first time. Thing that is terrible is all techs must pay this fee.

Last edited:
It might be intended to keep the cars from been stolen but under all this is MONEY. How do we get more money from the so call consumer.

I wonder what will happen if I make a scan tool and choose not to validate w/ them: Will it be really volunteer!

It might be intended to keep the cars from been stolen but under all this is MONEY. How do we get more money from the so call consumer.

I wonder what will happen if I make a scan tool and choose not to validate w/ them: Will it be really volunteer!
All that is going to do is give manufacturers a reason to put key coding online, then you have to register.

I thought these steps were to make these keys MORE secure? Putting that info online means it’s only a matter of time til some criminal hacks every code and uses it for nefarious purposes…
No. Putting online means you have to log into the manufacturers website and pay their fees just like module reprogram. I think this in reality would be better. Criminals aren't going to pay 50 to a manufacturers server to get keys reprogrammed. This same guy on YouTube showed how easy it is to steal vehicles. Thing is he is on the panel to push new rules.

No. Putting online means you have to log into the manufacturers website and pay their fees just like module reprogram. I think this in reality would be better. Criminals aren't going to pay 50 to a manufacturers server to get keys reprogrammed. This same guy on YouTube showed how easy it is to steal vehicles. Thing is he is on the panel to push new rules.

You do understand what the word “hack(ing)” means, don’t you? It doesn’t mean paying for something, that’s for sure.

You do understand what the word “hack(ing)” means, don’t you? It doesn’t mean paying for something, that’s for sure.
Yes I know what hacking is. Have you ever logged into the dealers servers? If all keys required this then it would be more challenging as you would need to know each manufacturer web address enter the vin. There is more on some such as Ford that only allow dealer techs for some procedures. All the downloads require a payment so it can be traced.
Theives could get around this by stealing techs information, get a vin and address while visiting the dealership, then steal a credit card to log in.

Back